What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keating Gone?

Avenger

Immortal
Regards to Hodko and Maloney, they were under the watch of supercoach and daisy. I understand that they were asked by the lower grade coaches to conside them for higher level, but they did not want to move Mr Finch (being a newie boy I guess).

They paid little interst to Wenty and/or the NYC and we have reaped the dividend, nothing.

I watched a recent interview with Daniel Mortimer. he explained that he was always a 5/8th in the juniors and plays most like Terry Lamb. He did however say that he wanted to give the 7 position a go. However I think he has to say that, seeing that their is that expectation.

Avenger

Immortal
Agree 100% with this. Hokko was the only true 7 at the club (along with Maloney, I guess) at the time of his signing elsewhere...he'll be a great player for Manly and IMO has already shown more than KK and Morts in terms of playing halfback. It went under the radar because of the hype over Williams leaving but this could be the worst thing Hagan did at Parramatta IMO

Hodkinson's contract is up at the end if this season. If we lose Keating we may just go after him.

Gronk

Staff member
Just supposing that KK is gone, what's the word on Humble ? How does he look with the ball in his hands and how is his defence ?

Avenger

Immortal
Just supposing that KK is gone, what's the word on Humble ? How does he look with the ball in his hands and how is his defence ?

He was in the top 3 players in the Queensland comp which has a far better standard then NSW Cup.

ROGUE

Juniors
To quote bazal "why do we need a rookie fullback who is still inconsistant and finding his feet"

eels81236

Bench
There is not a lot that any of OUR halves can do anything if we only complete about 2 thirds of our sets. (I don't know the figures but i'm having a stab on the generous side. Could be less than 2 thirds?) A Thurston may be different, but realistically we will not have a player of his ilk in the halves anytime soon.
Having said that, completion rates are subjective at best. If the kick on the last tackle is a nothing kick (ie; straight down a fullbacks throat, in front of and not behind a winger, taken easily on the full in the in goal, drilled dead in goal and just not getting repeat sets) then that goes down as a completed set. They need to add an extra column titled completed sets with a rubbish last tackle option/execution. On the other hand, if a team completes 95% of their sets I would argure that they arent taking enough risks and should chance their arm more.
Now, if we take out our completed sets with rubbish endings then realistically we are down to 50% atleast I reckon. Add to that kicking out on the full.
None of our halves are stars, or will be stars in the NEAR future. They need optimal performance and field position from our forwards in order to be effective. Yet the forwards can't get good field position if we keep handing over possesion meekly on tackle 6. ANY forward pack having to concentrate solely on gaining ground will always get dominated.
It's a team game made up of many components. With OUR halves we need all components working well and currently they are not. The forwards arent helping the halves and the halves arent helping the forwards and more importantly, themselves.

** To be fair to Robbo, Kris and Dan then Hayne, MK and to a lesser extent Mateo should shoulder some of the critcism of our kicking game.

100yearsRL

Juniors
I can't believe how some people criticize these players. I remember going to a game in 2007 or 2008. It was against the Cowboys and Parra were struggling. I sat in the area behind the goal posts and there were some parra supporters who were saying the worst things to a young winger named Jarryd Hayne. I bet these are the same people who now idolise him and applaud everything he does.
Who ever plays 5/8 or 1/2, good luck to them. If a player decides to leave to enhance his playing prospects or be better off financially then good luck to them. The window of opportunity is very narrow. I can't believe how negative some people can be. I read with interest on here somewhere that Keating couldn't tackle, 38 against Tigers answers that question.

Beamer

Juniors
From what I've seen so far we keep all the players we want to keep under this administration so if Keating goes Ando and Ossie let him.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
I watched a recent interview with Daniel Mortimer. he explained that he was always a 5/8th in the juniors and plays most like Terry Lamb.

Ooh that's exactly what i was going to say.

Even though I am probably not is position to disagree with a genius 7 like Sterlo, i still think if they do put Mortimer at 7 that they are trying to make him into one, rather than let him be what he is.

Mortimer is exactly like Lamb. He doesn't seem to stand out at any one aspect - organisation, kicking, running game, passing - but he is decent at all of them, is a competitor, and had the uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time to score or set up a try. Seems fine for the 6 IMO.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
mortimer is too small to have 2 small halves running around.

7 mort
6 kk

i have my fingers crossed this rumour is bollocks, 5 pages on and still not one ounce of concrete evidence. hopefully this is what we needed to piss robson off for good.

Sparky 74

Juniors
KeA=ating gone ??..............who cares

While thay are at it take brother Matt & Robson
& resign Kingston,Inu & Matteo

So you say who plays in the halves with Morts

Maybe have morts at 7 & Reddy at 6 (has played there in the Jnrs)

or

Morts at 7 & Mateo at 6

who to play hooker (why not Kingston) & play Burt at 14

better than what we have now

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors

or

Morts at 7 & Mateo at 6

Anyone else you want to play out of position? :crazy:

Bazal

Post Whore

or

Morts at 7 & Mateo at 6

Or....

We could re-sign the best half at the club, and not play anyone out of position...I love the Mortimer/KK double standard BTW...both have shown promise but nothing concrete as yet

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah, Maloney was another Hagan reject...him and Hodkinson would be amazingly handy right now, both are very good players. All we have at the moment are five-eighths and Robson

Delboy

First Grade
Maloney was our best player in reggies, supercoach apparently didn't listen to the lower grade coaches , so with daisy as asst coach, we signed a newie boy to a 3 year extension and let Maloney and Hodkinson go.

Latest posts