What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Gutho linked to Dragons

BLM01

First Grade
It's a precarious situation.. unless there is a huge plot-twist coming.. it looks like Flanno wants to run with Hunt for 2025.. one more year.. which gives him a chance to spread the net properly.. and thoroughly... and see what he can come up with for 2026.. because once Hunt has an end-date, Flanno can genuinely try to tempt players further up the food chain with a guaranteed first grade gig.. and hopefully a better looking roster and pack to entice them with.

It is possible he buys an Ilias or a Pezet (I doubt we get him though) with 12mths to develop them in our system first.. but I just cant see Flanno parting with 500-600k numbers for a reserve halfback.. I dont think he wants to rush this decision.

But I think we can afford to lose Hunt if we wanted too now.. we have some respectable marquee type players in Cook & Holmes.. and I think ideally he would love say a Gutho @6 to take the pressure off the new halfback.. Hunt could perhaps play 6 but we have had this conversation before.

I dont know of any 'experienced' halfbacks on the market that we're going to be able to sign.. not genuine halves.. I think were gonna have to find someone stuck behind a rep 7, or someone cast-aside prematurely.. I dunno.. I guess thats something we wont know for a while yet.
Flanno only has 2 years left on his contract
He is in a hurry sort of

Illusion

Bench
i dont know why everyone says this. The sharks fowards are way bigger than ours. Hunt, Kaufusi, Hamlin Uele, That tall bald bloke ran straight over the top of us. Royce Hunt in particular was having a field day. We have no one like that.
Agree we need a pack that are athletic and can get over the advantage line with quick play the balls ........ We also need a faster player in the centre's and wing ....... If they are to miss a tackle or are out of positions they have half a chance of readjusting ...... The game has changed so much and if players are not big fast and athletic you won't cut it .......

TheRev

Coach
Flanno only has 2 years left on his contract
He is in a hurry sort of
Yeah its a rly valid point, Flanno needs a rly strong 2025.. enough to show that 2024 wasnt a fluke.. but its why its surprised me he hasnt splashed a little more cash to make sure it is... but hes a man of principle.. hes doing what he believes in for the clubs future.

I reckon if next year is going well they probably extend him.. he probably has to decide on a halfback before that though.. there are a lot of players still not contracted for 2026 (on market Nov 1), but that still gives 2 months for clubs to wrap up deals yet.. some will want to go to market..

Fogarty is one of them.. but he would just be turning 32 by 2026 season.. its too old I think.

hook hook

Juniors
Yeah its a rly valid point, Flanno needs a rly strong 2025.. enough to show that 2024 wasnt a fluke.. but its why its surprised me he hasnt splashed a little more cash to make sure it is... but hes a man of principle.. hes doing what he believes in for the clubs future.

I reckon if next year is going well they probably extend him.. he probably has to decide on a halfback before that though.. there are a lot of players still not contracted for 2026 (on market Nov 1), but that still gives 2 months for clubs to wrap up deals yet.. some will want to go to market..

Fogarty is one of them.. but he would just be turning 32 by 2026 season.. it’s too old I think.
Fogarty will do a job for a few years. In 2026 Kade reed would be 19-20. 2 year deal for Fogarty to mentor reed and leave at 34 would be nice. Organising halves seem to get better with age anyway

moes

Bench
As mentioned pace and plenty of it is needed. Sloan needs some friends to compete with at sprint training.
Ramsey was a loss the poor bloke

imagine instead of CT on the weekend Josh addo Carr takes the intercept or picks up a loose ball, we score and games change on those things