What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis ANZAC Squad?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
On Foran, I highly doubt he will be able to train, could be a risk to play him if he cant train with the guys and work up combinations

Judd

Juniors
Feel sorry for Asotasi...he's ALWAYS injured just before test selection time. I had in my team, and he has been playing reasonably well in a hot and cold Souths team. For the likes of Beale, for every young kid who turns down the chance of a Kiwi jersey, there's always another one to put his hand up. Goon on ya Beale...all the best on your debut.

Is Proctor going to get a spot ??...the guy has massive potential and would hold his own against Gallen and co.

Duffie needs to pick up his game IMO...has been quiet in the last two games for Storm but has not had a lot of ball as well. He will need a strong centre next to him as well as his defense is still developing.

kos

Juniors
Why are no UK Kiwis considered? Why does Hohaia need to be cut because he goes to the UK?
Whi have we got in the UK that if they were able to be considered to be able to add value.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Why are no UK Kiwis considered? Why does Hohaia need to be cut because he goes to the UK?
Whi have we got in the UK that if they were able to be considered to be able to add value.

Nup - Lance is deserved of a final Test for his stellar service to his country over the past few years. I wouldn't pick him for the end of year stuff.

shiznit

Coach
Is Proctor going to get a spot ??...the guy has massive potential and would hold his own against Gallen and co.

Duffie needs to pick up his game IMO...has been quiet in the last two games for Storm but has not had a lot of ball as well. He will need a strong centre next to him as well as his defense is still developing.
yeah im sure he will be there or there abouts...

its the same old thing with kiwi forwards though... massive depth.

ozbash

Referee
KIWI SELECTORS BRING IN NEW FACES FOR 2011 ANZAC TEST

Auckland, New Zealand, May 1, 2011 – Melbourne winger Matthew Duffie and Brisbane fullback Gerard Beale are the two newcomers named tonight in the Kiwis’ 19-man squad for Friday night’s Anzac Test against the Kangaroos at Skilled Park in Robina on Australia’s Gold Coast.
Aucklander Duffie (20) made his NRL debut for the Storm last year while Beale, also 20, first played for Brisbane in 2009.
Also yet to make his Test debut is Warriors utility Lewis Brown, who was in the Kiwis’ Four Nations squad last year.
Three other players who missed the Four Nations success – props Sam Rapira and Fuifui Moimoi plus halfback Kieran Foran – have earned recalls while the other 13 players all lined up for the Kiwis in their 16-12 victory against the Kangaroos at Suncorp Stadium last November. Of the other four who appeared in the final, winger Sam Perrett and forward Sika Manu are out of contention with injury while front rower Frank Paul Nuuausala hasn’t gained selection and hooker Thomas Leuluai hasn’t been brought back from the United Kingdom.
“As usual there are some players who couldn’t be considered through injury but that’s always a factor in team selection, one you can’t control,” said Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney.
“We’re excited about the group of players we’ve been able to bring together and it’s a real thrill to have two new players in the squad in Matt (Duffie) and Gerard (Beale).
“While we’ve had some success against Australia in the last few years, we haven’t done well in the Anzac Test. The challenge for us is to prepare really well to give ourselves a chance of competing with them. They’re always difficulties to contend with at any time and especially at this stage of the season.
“The Four Nations doesn’t matter to us now. That was last year and our attention needs to be on this one Test.”
Apart from Beale, Brown and Duffie, the core of the side is now highly experienced at Test level with Lance Hohaia, Simon Mannering, Benji Marshall and Adam Blair all with more than 20 international appearances each while several others are within reach of the same mark.
The Kiwis are in the process of assembling on the Gold Coast tonight with the five players from the Warriors plus Penrith prop Sam McKendry flying from Auckland after the Warriors’ 26-18 NRL victory over the Panthers at Mount Smart Stadium this afternoon.
The Kiwis have a team photo appointment and a media session at Skilled Park tomorrow morning before their first training run in the afternoon.
The starting line-up and interchange bench won’t be confirmed until later in the week.

KIWI SQUAD – 2011 ANZAC TEST

Player
Club
Kiwi No
Tests

Gerard Beale
Broncos

-

Adam Blair
Storm

Lewis Brown
Warriors

Shaun Kenny-Dowall
Roosters

Matthew Duffie
Storm

-

Greg Eastwood
Bulldogs

Nathan Fien
Dragons

Kieran Foran
Sea Eagles

Bronson Harrison
Raiders

Lance Hohaia
Warriors

Issac Luke
Rabbitohs

Sam McKendry
Panthers

Simon Mannering
Warriors

Benji Marshall (c)
Tigers

Ben Matulino
Warriors

Fuifui Moimoi
Eels

Jason Nightingale
Dragons

Sam Rapira
Warriors

Jeremy Smith
Sharks

NZRL Media release​

1. Hohaia
2. Nightingale
3. SKD
4. Mannering
5. Duffie
6. Marshall
7. Foran
8. Rapira
9. Luke
10. Moi Moi
11.Blair
12. Harrison
13. Smith

14. Fien
15. Eastwood
16. Matulino
17. Brown

18. Mckendry
19. Beale

That team really lacks an enforcer..... im not a fan.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
1. Hohaia
2. Nightingale
3. SKD
4. Mannering
5. Duffie
6. Marshall
7. Foran
8. Rapira
9. Luke
10. Moi Moi
11.Blair
12. Harrison
13. Smith

14. Fien
15. Eastwood
16. Matulino
17. Brown

18. Mckendry
19. Beale

That team really lacks an enforcer..... im not a fan.

:? Looks full of them to me. Who is missing that you would want in there?

It certainly lacks the sort of size the Aussies bring to the table, but that's typical of the players we have at the moment...lots of squat, nuggety forwards.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Hey my memory is letting me down...did Fui play for the Kiwis last year? And if not, was it because of injury, or just not picked?

I think Frank-Paul could feel a bit aggrieved....

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Just realised there's no Sau or Matai and they've only picked 1 proper centre. A bit silly and leaves our backline looking a bit impotent. If only Vatuvei wasn't injured all the time :(

I would have had Nuuasala, Pritchard and Glenn with Brown in the centres. However, that side has enough punch to get the job done.

Just realised there's no Sau or Matai and they've only picked 1 proper centre. A bit silly and leaves our backline looking a bit impotent. If only Vatuvei wasn't injured all the time :(

Sau has been pretty solid for Newcastle as well.
Suspect Mannerings defence is wanted?
Matai is a liability, both with penalties given and gets injured.
Duffie is an interesting call.

Anyway one off test in annoying and Aussies need it now days to make themselves feel better after losing the last 3 out of 4 tournaments to us. :D

I'm heading over, can't wait. I'm confident with our 1, 6, 7, 9, 14 enough that the rest will just slot in well and do the job.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Frank paul, Pritchard, Masoe, Matai, Tamou, Waerea-Hargreaves (Sika would of been ideal.)

Someone to put in some stingers.

Really, really disappointed Frank the tank isnt there.

tbh this just looks like a list of blokes less hard-nosed than the ones picked.

Pritchard is a noted flake (usually goes ok for the Kiwis though), FPN would've been a fair enough selection but is less intimidating then several of the forwards selected, JWH and Tamou are not good enough. Masoe is a scary bloke but he wasn't even playing for the Roosters this weekend??

Latest posts