What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Official Team Of The Era

keeney

First Grade
Needs more Peden and less Boozy. Boozy was a great guy, but average as all hell for the last half of his career.

Doctor

Bench
roopy said:
Sarge was a big guy when we had no one else - but he had poor mobility, not many minutes in him, bad handling and was injured a lot.
Warren Ryan dropped him first chance he got.
Perry and Woolnough were both better, not to mention Parsons and Fairleigh.

Sarge was gone long before Warren Ryan arrived, Roopy. I'd guess that he retired around 1995/96. He didn't play in 1997. Ryan arrived after Reilly (circa 1998?).

roopy

Referee
Doctor said:
Sarge was gone long before Warren Ryan arrived, Roopy. I'd guess that he retired around 1995/96. He didn't play in 1997. Ryan arrived after Reilly (circa 1998?).
yeah - sorry - it was Reilly who dropped him for most of the season because he was not mobile enough and got rid of him.

Apey

Staff member
Aw, pretty happy with the team but it lacks Parsons (<3) and Peden :D

Can't comment on other players who missed out, too young :p

RABK

Referee
1. Robbie O'Davis
2. Timana Tahu
3. Matt Gidley
4. Adam MacDougall
5. Darren Albert
6. Matthew Johns
7. Andrew Johns
8. Matt Parsons
9. Danny Buderus
10. Paul Harragon (c)
11. Steve Simpson
12. David Fairleigh
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Billy Peden
15. Mark Sargent
16. Tony Butterfield
17. Adam Muir

That's my team.

D

Deleted member 10972

1. Robbie O'Davis
2. Timana Tahu
3. Matt Gidley
4. Adam MacDougall
5. Darren Albert (if Jamie Ainscough, John Schuster or Mark Hughes, switch Mad Dog to wing)
6. Matthew Johns/Michael Hagan
7. Andrew Johns
8. Mark Sargent/Matt Parsons/David Fairleigh
9. Danny Buderus
10. Paul Harrogan
11. Ben Kennedy
12. Steve Simpson
13. Marc Glanville (that hit on Craig Field...lol@druggo)

14. Robbie McCormack/Kurt Gidley
15. Billy Peden
16. Adam Muir
17. Tony Butterfield

Nuke

Staff member
Dad and I came up with our Knights 'Best Of 20yrs' teams a few nights ago. He and I were pretty similar, and both of us were similar to the official team named. We were surprised that Mark Sargent got a starting spot over Tony Butterfield and that Kurt Gidley made the team. We both also thought Chief would've been captain. My team was:

1. Robbie O'Davis
2. Darren Albert
3. Matt Gidley
4. Jamie Ainscough / Adam MacDougall
5. Timana Tahu
6. Matthew Johns
7. Andrew Johns
8. Tony Butterfield
9. Danny Buderus
10. Paul Harragon (c)
11. Steve Simpson
12. Adam Muir
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Marc Glanville
15. Mark Sargent
16. Billy Peden
17. Mark Hughes

Coach: Malcolm Reilly

Encurly

Juniors
The team's a pretty good one. You've got to remember the restraints of the competition, too - especially:

1. You had to select separate left and right wingers and centres. So you couldn't have both Tahu and Albert, because they were both right wingers. Similarly Schuster was a right centre, so couldn't be selected unless you left out Matt Gidley. I think the only real alternative to Hughes at left centre was Ainscough.

2. The bench had to include 2 backs and 2 forwards. That means you can't replace Hagan/Kidley with Peden - you'd have to drop Muir, Butterfield or one of the other forwards.

Looks like Kidley's the only player who didn't play in either of the 97 and 01 grand finals.

Edit after engaging brain: Add Hagan and Sargent to the players who didn't play in either of the grand finals. Point still remains they were both sides filled with the best players to represent the club.

Brian Carney was hands down the greatest winger this club has ever had. One season of brilliance and he doesn't rate a mention. First in linebreaks and second in hitups last season. Repeat : second in hitups. A winger! I know most will say it was only one season but his consistency was like no other backline player we have had except Robbie O.

keeney

First Grade
Carney was good, but he'd never make this team over Tahu or Doogs, both have played for state and country while here, both around about 100 games, Tahue topping our tries list.

Johns Magic

Referee
Newie is God's Country said:
Brian Carney was hands down the greatest winger this club has ever had. One season of brilliance and he doesn't rate a mention. First in linebreaks and second in hitups last season. Repeat : second in hitups. A winger! I know most will say it was only one season but his consistency was like no other backline player we have had except Robbie O.

Poor defensively

roopy

Referee
We have had a lot of one and two season guys who were pretty good - Fairleigh, Smith, Carney, Shiels, Thaiday, Davico,

cram

Bench
The only one I was disappointed not see in the side was Billy Peden, unfortunately for Bill he came through and era where we had some very good forwards. On the flip side Hughes came through an era where we never fielded a lot of quality centres.

Latest posts