What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Canterbury Bulldogs First Grade Round 13

Jobdog

Live Update Team
It's just beyond everyone's comprehension that a backrower is playing five-eight. How can that be? Lowrie offers nothing in attack, and sure when Joey's on song, he doesn't really need a five-eight to help him out. However, this year, Joey has made no secret that he's tired, so one would think that supercoach would name a five-eight who CAN help him out. But no, Hages likes playing people out of position.

Ben

Bench
Jayell, it is not exactly about getting Hinton into the side. It is about fielding the best side possible where players are placed in their best positions. All I want is for Kidley to play in the centres, his best position, but in Hagan's case five-eighth is Kidley's best position and it sure isn't fullback. Normally, when injury does strike your fullback, don't you believe that the Premier League fullback should come in to take his place. After Thaiday got injured we had Seage, who is a Premier League centre, and Kidley, who is a first grade five-eighth, take his place.

For me it's not only about blooding youngsters, that is good as well. But it also involves fielding your best team in their best positions. For a team to be successful, a coach has to ensure that their players aren't out of position. As you saw in Kidley's performance against the Dragons, any player will struggle if they were thrown into the deep end in a position they hadn't played in for years.

antonius

Coach
Jayell said:
Johns, Buderus, Simpson, Newtown, Thaiday ,Quinn, Midley, Perry.....all the quality players are going to be picked each week by hagan.
You guys seem to think that by picking hinton will solve all our problems. Sure, i can't stand kidley either, but i don't think picking an untried, long term reserve grader will be an instant fix.
Kade Snowden???? No
I would like to see a couple of changes, i think hagan is wrong on a few. But i am aware that the few changes we are all striving for will not turn us into this amazing side that everyone on this forum will agree with. We have to carry some players.....and we do.
Just look at how our Premier League side is going to see that we don't have a great lot coming through to fill these gaps....
Do you watch the other grades? Hinton is NOT a "long term reserve grader" as you put it. He's an up and comming junior, and write this down "Will be a star in future years" Gloss over it all you like. Hagan doesn't pick the best team available week in week out. Tighe proved last year he's a far better option at 5/8th than Lowrie, are you Hagans brother?

Roy

Juniors
I just hope poor old lowrie doesnt end up with the rap because of this. If you ask him im sure he would prefer not to be there. It seems with ecery team selection i want smith here more an more.

Has there been anything in the papers about smith of late.

Roy

Juniors
Ben said:
Jayell, it is not exactly about getting Hinton into the side. It is about fielding the best side possible where players are placed in their best positions. All I want is for Kidley to play in the centres, his best position, but in Hagan's case five-eighth is Kidley's best position and it sure isn't fullback. Normally, when injury does strike your fullback, don't you believe that the Premier League fullback should come in to take his place. After Thaiday got injured we had Seage, who is a Premier League centre, and Kidley, who is a first grade five-eighth, take his place.

For me it's not only about blooding youngsters, that is good as well. But it also involves fielding your best team in their best positions. For a team to be successful, a coach has to ensure that their players aren't out of position. As you saw in Kidley's performance against the Dragons, any player will struggle if they were thrown into the deep end in a position they hadn't played in for years.

your kidding arnt you, seage plays on the wing in premier league only to give hinton more time at full back, as the club see's alot of potential in him. Seage is the best defensive fullback in the club, the reason thaiday/tryday is infront of him is he is just so much more dangerous with ball in hand.

John_Travolta

Juniors
Bicey_18 said:
Ok then.. what if Brown put someone like ashton sims at 5/8 and Aaron Gorrell at fullback?? You wouldnt bag your coach for making those selections?

Actually I did ask Hagan why he puts Lowrie at 5/8.. well tried to ... all i got was a "Sorry mate gotta get ready for the game" and just walked straight past me without even acknowledging me..

Well for starters, i`d let it play out, and see what happend to them positional changes, if not i`d probably ask the coach also......

Sorry to hear he never responded to your question in the appropriate mannor. I think he should have, are you an season ticket holder? if so, u have every right to get an answer then.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
John_Travolta said:
Well for starters, i`d let it play out, and see what happend to them positional changes, if not i`d probably ask the coach also......

Sorry to hear he never responded to your question in the appropriate mannor. I think he should have, are you an season ticket holder? if so, u have every right to get an answer then.
JT, we've already let it play out. We've already let it play out with Lowrie at five-eight and Kidley being at fullback and five-eight. We have also seen Mullen play at five-eight and Hinton play fullback for PL. In most of our opinions and as tony said, surely we can't all be wrong, we can see that Mullen should be the five-eight. In the latest case, Hinton should be the fullback. Its not a case of not allowing the particular players to have a chance. We've seen them have their chance already this year and the particular game plan has failed.

John_Travolta

Juniors
Jobdog said:
JT, we've already let it play out. We've already let it play out with Lowrie at five-eight and Kidley being at fullback and five-eight. We have also seen Mullen play at five-eight and Hinton play fullback for PL. In most of our opinions and as tony said, surely we can't all be wrong, we can see that Mullen should be the five-eight. In the latest case, Hinton should be the fullback. Its not a case of not allowing the particular players to have a chance. We've seen them have their chance already this year and the particular game plan has failed.

But Job..... don`t you see it, u just said it, but you can`t see it, It is a case of players getting a chance at them positions, I agree Gidley aint no Fullback, but who will you put there? Are you writting Kurt Gidley off as your 5/8th for good??

Jobdog

Live Update Team
John_Travolta said:
But Job..... don`t you see it, u just said it, but you can`t see it, It is a case of players getting a chance at them positions, I agree Gidley aint no Fullback, but who will you put there? Are you writting Kurt Gidley off as your 5/8th for good??
In a perfect world, yes Kurt Gidley would be written off as 5/8th for good. You cannot seriously tell me that Lowrie is our best option at 5/8 in the current situation and Kidley is the best option at fullback.

chinorocks

Juniors
Roy said:
I just hope poor old lowrie doesnt end up with the rap because of this. If you ask him im sure he would prefer not to be there. It seems with ecery team selection i want smith here more an more.

Has there been anything in the papers about smith of late.

Agreed Lowrie, has a lot of potential IMO, but he is NOT a 5/8. We all know it, I'm sure he knows it but hey thats Hages for you.

Hagans 5/8ths (that I remember off the top of my head)

Rudder - Average backrower at best.
Kidley - Better than Rudder, better suited to centre.
Midley - Not a five eighth much, much, much better in centres.
Mullen - Great ball skills, great kicking game. Best option.
Tighe - Good hole runner, solid ball skills.
Lowrie - Good backrower, nuffy at five eighth.

3 of them are playing this weekend, and the WORST option of the lot is playing 5/8th. What a joke!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
chinorocks said:
Agreed Lowrie, has a lot of potential IMO, but he is NOT a 5/8. We all know it, I'm sure he knows it but hey thats Hages for you.

Hagans 5/8ths (that I remember off the top of my head)

Rudder - Average backrower at best.
Kidley - Better than Rudder, better suited to centre.
Midley - Not a five eighth much, much, much better in centres.
Mullen - Great ball skills, great kicking game. Best option.
Tighe - Good hole runner, solid ball skills.
Lowrie - Good backrower, nuffy at five eighth.

3 of them are playing this weekend, and the WORST option of the lot is playing 5/8th. What a joke!

I couldn't agree more. Good post.

northey

First Grade
Playing the victem doesn't get people anywhere.

i'm not playing 'victim' it just keeps people from having a go at me... more so directed at you. as everything i post, you have a go at me, and really i am sick of it. you make me feel like i can not have my opinion. just cause i am female i am not suposed to know anything and my opionion is clouded by what a player looks like...

Stuzmeister

Juniors
I don't know how Hagan keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. I know it's been said many many times but Lowrie is NOT a 5/8 and Kidley is NOT a fullback.
I'm not totally against giving Kidley another chance at fullback as we've only got last week's game to go off of late. But Lowrie has been tried and failed in the 5/8 position on several occasions. He hasn't done anything wrong apart from playing like a second rower instead of a ball player, which in actual fact is a LOT WRONG.
But hey, I'm no supercoach.

John_Travolta

Juniors
Jobdog said:
In a perfect world, yes Kurt Gidley would be written off as 5/8th for good. You cannot seriously tell me that Lowrie is our best option at 5/8 in the current situation and Kidley is the best option at fullback.

Nope, i`d have Brad Tighe there actually... IMO

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Yes, so would the majority of other people on this forum, if u go back and check ;-)

Yosh

Coach
Jayell said:
Johns, Buderus, Simpson, Newtown, Thaiday ,Quinn, Midley, Perry.....all the quality players are going to be picked each week by hagan.
You guys seem to think that by picking hinton will solve all our problems. Sure, i can't stand kidley either, but i don't think picking an untried, long term reserve grader will be an instant fix.
Kade Snowden???? No
I would like to see a couple of changes, i think hagan is wrong on a few. But i am aware that the few changes we are all striving for will not turn us into this amazing side that everyone on this forum will agree with. We have to carry some players.....and we do.
Just look at how our Premier League side is going to see that we don't have a great lot coming through to fill these gaps....

kidley isnt a bad player, he just isnt a fb. didnt u watch last game? he jumped to catch a bomb when no one was on him. fb just know not to do that. its just natural. and seroiusly kidley played so bad at fb is no reason why we shouldnt give hinton a go.

Frederick

Staff member
From what I was told today, Johns is really pumped for this game. He's feeling 110% better than he was last week. So hopefully this shows tomorrow night :D