What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Melbourne Storm First Grade Round 19

Boxer

Juniors
I would like to know how much thought was given to playing Hinton at fullback. He had no worse a game than anyone else in last Saturday's game.
Milton has played a lot of 5/8 football in his career and could have been used to cover any of the backline players if he had been selected on the bench. This would suit him because of his lack of game time.

Who am I kidding there is never any thought given to selection.

aqua_duck

Coach
Hinton had a shocker saturday night, from the 1st bomb of the night which he stuffed up. Milton back will help but he's not CLive Churchill.

I would like to see Cory Paterson get a run on the bench sooner or later ahead of those small backrowers we have who get smashes week in week out.

Bicey_18 said:
They arent that good mate.... Comparing them to the Manly sides of 95/96/97 years is a little out there, but yeah they are good. Im still not set on the Storm being the real deal, i mean sure at Melbourne they are near unbeatable but away from home against the best sides?

Thrashed by the Cowboys in Townsville 40-8
Beaten By Tigers at Leichardt 30-28.. at one stage down 30-4
Thrashed by Manly at Brookie 34-12

Until they beat a really tough side away from home eg Dragons, Sharks, Broncos, Bulldogs.. Then i'll be convinced they are the team.

They are definently beatable and this week I think will be their toughest test for a few weeks. I honestly believe the Knights will win this one, on the back of Johns, Bedsy and Milton

You are entitled to your view and you may indeed be right. However remember Greg Inglis and Mick Crocker aren't in this side this week. Put them back in that team and you have a side who has one hand on the telstra cup my friend. The other hand is simply a case of whether they hold their nerve. They have lost two world class halfbacks in four years yet still produce an unkown genius in Cooper Cronk. My point is it is against all odds they are dominating like they are so they can only get better.

Ben

Bench
Tolar isn't in Premier League either, he must still be having probs with the foot.
Hopefully he is still working hard with his training schedule and doing lots of upper-body work. I would like to see Tolar build up his upper body strength because although he has good hands he lacks the ability to push players off and break through the line. Imagine if he had strength as well as good hands. Newcastle's own red-head Sonny Bill.

Looks good on paper but id really like to see brad tighe get a run at least on the bench..if this team doesnt aim up then we cant accept the.."ohh well boys..next week.didnt the opposition play well" crap that was brought out.

Also.i seem to remember Thaiday having some trouble with the high ball.
the team just needs at go forward with some muscle and some grunt in defence...that comes with attitude.

roopy

Referee
This is probably as close as we will see to Hagan's top team for the year.
I think he would prefer Kidley to Mullo - but apart from that, this is the team Hagan has spent his whole career at the Knights developing.

No excuses after this game - it is our best against the top team in the comp.

CJKnight

Juniors
Tolar is injured according to the Newcastle website... broken foot I think it is.

As for the best side to take the field... 3 players are missing: Kidley, Abes, and Tighe

Put those three back in and you have a pretty damn good side. And for all those critics about Kidley: he is like #3 on the try assists stat ladder... so that means he must have a decent passing game...

I would play Kidley at Hooker when Bedsy retires (that is my opinion)

CJKnight

Juniors
Put Kidley, Abes, and Tighe in there... that is a much beter team.

remeber Kidley is #3 on the Try assists stat ladder...

CJKnight

Juniors
Here is a point of discussion: would Tighe make a better center than Carmont? and would you drop Carmont for Tighe?

antonius

Coach
Tighe was a better centre that Carmont last year (and better than Midley for that matter). Nothings changed, because Tighe hasn't been given the chance to play centre in first grade this year.

K-Man

Bench
christopherjon said:
Here is a point of discussion: would Tighe make a better center than Carmont? and would you drop Carmont for Tighe?

Tighe is absolutely a better centre than Carmont. He could be one of the top 10 centres in the competition, and it better not end up being for another club.

Check out Tighe's game against the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium last season - he was magnificent. Carmont has only ever had a "good" game at best.

Ben

Bench
Carmont has only ever had a "good" game at best.
And when Carmont does have a good game its because of one man Andrew Johns. When Joey isn't there Carmont struggles in attack and defence.

K-Man

Bench
Ben said:
And when Carmont does have a good game its because of one man Andrew Johns. When Joey isn't there Carmont struggles in attack and defence.

yep, exactly.

Misanthrope

Staff member
No excuses after this game - it is our best against the top team in the comp.

Do you mean Hagan's best side, as you said earlier in your post? I mean, no sane Knights fan actually believes that the seventeen running out this weekend is our best side, do they?

Johns Magic

Referee
CWBush said:
Do you mean Hagan's best side, as you said earlier in your post? I mean, no sane Knights fan actually believes that the seventeen running out this weekend is our best side, do they?

Johns, Buderus, Simpson, Newton, Perry, Smith, Gidley, Carney and Thaiday are all there. Whilst Hagan's favourites are still available, that is close to the best team we can hope for.

antonius

Coach
CWBush said:
Agreed, I'm sure I and plenty others could come with a better 17 than the ones Hagan dishes up week in week out including this week.

Nuffy

Bench
You really have to hand it to Hages, hes managed to make a career out of footy inspite of his performances.

Some people are just plain tinny.

reginald.p

Juniors
meh, tighe for carmont is the only change i would make. I'm sure abes will be back at lock when he gets back to his best.

Latest posts