What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Storm spoiler

Joker's Wild

Coach
Did you think that reynolds pulling down Justin Oneil within 10 metres of the try line was a professional foul and should have been sin binned.All the commentators were screaming that it should have been a penalty try and reynolds should have been in the bin for 10.But it wasn`t paid and he wasn`t sent off.That one was far worse than boyd/Cronk incident.
We aren`t a protected species.

An incident that happened how many weeks ago has zero bearing on the argument here mate.

Simple fact is Cronk committed a professional foul and should have been binned, yet wasnt. Reynolds doing something similar previously does not change this fact

Card Shark

Immortal
An incident that happened how many weeks ago has zero bearing on the argument here mate.

Simple fact is Cronk committed a professional foul and should have been binned, yet wasnt. Reynolds doing something similar previously does not change this fact

Yes & No.

Refs have set a precedent. If a knights player did that next week & got binned, you'd ( rightfully) be filthy. They need to use common sense & apply the sin-bin rule as it was intended.

Maybe need to have the option of a 5 minute sin bin. I'll swear that was an option when the sin bin first came in but whatever happened to it??

voltron

Juniors
Yes & No.

Refs have set a precedent. If a knights player did that next week & got binned, you'd ( rightfully) be filthy. They need to use common sense & apply the sin-bin rule as it was intended.

Maybe need to have the option of a 5 minute sin bin. I'll swear that was an option when the sin bin first came in but whatever happened to it??

i think that the precedent argument is such a flimsy one.
just because a wrong judgment was made previously, why should it prevent a right one to be given later?

if it happens to us next week?
id be filthy at the inconsistency, but if he deserves it he deserves it.
id also be convinced of a conspiracy against the knights as well
=p

but the sin bin just hasnt been used properly all year
from origin I, the refs have lost all confidence.
Anderson needs to pull his head out.

Card Shark

Immortal
but the sin bin just hasnt been used properly all year
from origin I, the refs have lost all confidence.
Anderson needs to pull his head out.

I think we agree with each other mate.

What I was trying to say is they should be policing the rule from day 1 but now they have painted themselves into a corner, a bit.

That's ok, they'll sin bin a few this week & all will be ok ;-)

StormHi

Juniors
I don't disagree that what he did was wrong it clearly was. And the refs made the wrong decision to send him off. But the way the Newie fans bang on about it is pathetic what happened happened you weren't the best team on the night even with the enormous leg up from the refs.

STORM.99/07

Bench

reynolds/Oneil incident was far worse than boyd incident.
refs are being consistant so it does have bearing .

thorson1987

Coach
reynolds/Oneil incident was far worse than boyd incident.
refs are being consistant so it does have bearing .

The problem is they are being consistently shit.

No doubt Cronk should have been binned. But I'm not going to complain, and I'm sure no one else would complain if it was one of their players who should have but wasn't binned.

footy75

Bench
I don't disagree that what he did was wrong it clearly was. And the refs made the wrong decision to send him off. But the way the Newie fans bang on about it is pathetic what happened happened you weren't the best team on the night even with the enormous leg up from the refs.

exactly right...

Last edited:

STORM.99/07

Bench
rabs warren said "Storm fans wouldn`t have been disappointed if Coops would have been binned..He is so far off the planet with his ridiculous comments.I would have have been really annoyed cos of the Oneil/reynolds incident.

StormHi

Juniors
I just don't listen to anything Rabs has to say dopey merkin can't even get players names right.....

Knock On

Juniors
Cronk did the wrong thing but in general play; Newcastle got the better of the penalties 10-2 and should have won on that stat alone. Especially after being 8-4 up. TBH, I think Melbourne would have always come over the top of them no matter what.

StormHi

Juniors
Cronk did the wrong thing but in general play; Newcastle got the better of the penalties 10-2 and should have won on that stat alone. Especially after being 8-4 up. TBH, I think Melbourne would have always come over the top of them no matter what.

QFT

To hear the Newie fans though you would think the merkins got robbed ;-)

Noname36

First Grade

I think what you idiots seem to be failing to acknowledge is that those penalties in general play meant squat if you looked at them in the context of the game. I was at the game and the refs were literally screaming at the Storm players for the entire game to get onside, yet for all the screaming and times they were offside they still only blew a certain amount of penalties. What good is a few penalties when your opposition is offside and laying all over you for the entire game?

Melbourne have worked it out, and it's why they are able to control teams like they do. They know that if they give away a lot of quick penalties in the same set it's going to get the penalty count up but still only give the opposition one shot close to the line. And they know after the count gets high enough the refs are going to stop blowing them and they're free to break the rules for the rest of the game and do what they want. It's not just this game, they do it all the time. If Melbourne fans can't see then you mustn't be watching your own side very carefully. Hey, more power to them that they've worked out another way to control the game... But it's not really in the spirit of the game. Just watch, this time next season other clubs will be copying the same tactics. And the powers that be wonder why long-time supporters of the game interest is dwindling.

I'm over the weekend as a Newcastle supporter. Honestly we didn't expect to win anyway...but the NRL really need to do something about Melbourne's tactics or it's going to be a competition wide problem by this time next season.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Other teams are already adopting it. The Roosters employed the exact same tactics against us a few weeks ago.

I've gotta give it to Melbourne... they continue to find ways to work inside the rules, yet be completely deplorable and devoid of any moral integrity at the same time. I'll also note that they are still trend setters, not trend followers... and that's pretty impressive this far along.

Card Shark

Immortal
.but the NRL really need to do something about Melbourne's tactics or it's going to be a competition wide problem by this time next season.

Enforce the rules & sinbin players for repeated infringements (& bloody professional fouls whilst they are at it ).

Refs don't sinbin because they don't like having that big of an influence over a game & cop it in the media for days afterwards. However soccer refs red card players for sfa on a regular basis & hardly a word is said about it.

The NRL needs to say that they have instructed the refs to grow some balls & then answer the criticism when it comes. Players will soon learn they can't get away with it & stop.

Agree with you Perverse. The Storm are still working out how to get that tiny bit of advantage & push the rules to the absolute limit. They need to be reigned in, for the good of the game.

POPEYE

Coach
Other teams are already adopting it. The Roosters employed the exact same tactics against us a few weeks ago.

I've gotta give it to Melbourne... they continue to find ways to work inside the rules, yet be completely deplorable and devoid of any moral integrity at the same time. I'll also note that they are still trend setters, not trend followers... and that's pretty impressive this far along.

Pity some of the trends they are highly regarded for don't get the same publicity. They might tell Cronk to take a chance on fouling Darius but Melbourne would never poach him from the Dragons or any other player a team needed to keep . . . now that's real moral integrity

perverse

Referee
We are talking about the same Melbourne Storm that got caught systematically and purposefully cheating the salary cap in order to keep their superstars in one place?

Moral integrity indeed, lol.

Ghoulies

Bench
That's a few Storm fans now that I've noticed on here attempting to claim the moral high ground on player recruitment issues.

2010 wasn't that long ago, guys.

Knock On

Juniors
Most of the Storm players you talk about came through our system as Juniors. Inglis, Slater, Cronk, Smith etc etc...

Why shouldn't we be able to keep them all.

WE and our coaching staff built them.

So we didn't steal any players from anyone else unlike a lot of teams.

I think we have a pretty good moral high ground.

We might have been over the salary cap, but so was everyone else.

Latest posts