What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Storm spoiler

STORM.99/07

Bench
I think what you idiots seem to be failing to acknowledge is that those penalties in general play meant squat if you looked at them in the context of the game. I was at the game and the refs were literally screaming at the Storm players for the entire game to get onside, yet for all the screaming and times they were offside they still only blew a certain amount of penalties. What good is a few penalties when your opposition is offside and laying all over you for the entire game?

Melbourne have worked it out, and it's why they are able to control teams like they do. They know that if they give away a lot of quick penalties in the same set it's going to get the penalty count up but still only give the opposition one shot close to the line. And they know after the count gets high enough the refs are going to stop blowing them and they're free to break the rules for the rest of the game and do what they want. It's not just this game, they do it all the time. If Melbourne fans can't see then you mustn't be watching your own side very carefully. Hey, more power to them that they've worked out another way to control the game... But it's not really in the spirit of the game. Just watch, this time next season other clubs will be copying the same tactics. And the powers that be wonder why long-time supporters of the game interest is dwindling.

I'm over the weekend as a Newcastle supporter. Honestly we didn't expect to win anyway...but the NRL really need to do something about Melbourne's tactics or it's going to be a competition wide problem by this time next season.
didn1t you already say all that in your press conference Mr. Bennet. Couldn`t win the game on your own merits so you sook that the refs were looking after Storm. If you want to win Mr Bennet you have to move with the times.

simostorm

Bench
Storm were so poor in the first half they shouldn't have even been in it.. If Storm played like that against the Roosters or Souths or Manly.. we'd have gotten smashed.

Ghoulies

Bench
Most of the Storm players you talk about came through our system as Juniors. Inglis, Slater, Cronk, Smith etc etc...

Why shouldn't we be able to keep them all.

WE and our coaching staff built them.

So we didn't steal any players from anyone else unlike a lot of teams.

I think we have a pretty good moral high ground.

We might have been over the salary cap, but so was everyone else.
:lol:

I love the throwaway line about how everyone else was doing it.

If illegally keeping your star side together through the operation of a hidden set of books is so righteous, why does it even matter if everyone else was doing it?

The bottom line is that it's so easy to resist the urge to enter the player market when you don't ever have to worry about losing someone that you really don't want to lose.

Knock On

Juniors

I love the throwaway line about how everyone else was doing it.

If illegally keeping your star side together through the operation of a hidden set of books is so righteous, why does it even matter if everyone else was doing it?

The bottom line is that it's so easy to resist the urge to enter the player market when you don't ever have to worry about losing someone that you really don't want to lose.

Yes, I agree. As you say it doesn't matter.

Ive got the DVDs mate, We keep on winning the premierships every time I watch them. No one can take that away from Us. :D

That is all that matters.

The bottom line is if you invest time and effort into a player who improves due to your good coaching, you shouldn’t have to lose that player. You recruited him before anyone else, you spent the time and effort to make him a superior player, your coaching standards were higher to keep him a superior player.

Especially if the player doesn’t want to leave.

Plus all the so called hacks that we turned around to be very decent players...due again to brilliant coaching.

How is that fair.

The salary cap only promotes mediocrity.

Last edited:

voltron

Juniors

Ive got the DVDs mate, We keep on winning the premierships every time I watch them. No one can take that away from Us. :D

The bottom line is if you invest time and effort into a player who improves due to your good coaching, you shouldn?t have to lose that player. You recruited him before anyone else, you spent the time and effort to make him a superior player, your coaching standards were higher to keep him a superior player.

Especially if the player doesn?t want to leave.

Plus all the so called hacks that we turned around to be very decent players...due again to brilliant coaching.

How is that fair.

lol@DVD line
im sure thats exactly what lance armstrong tells himself as well
when he watches replays of the tour de france

thats the points of the salary cap, to spread the talent, unless they stay for less money
and since everyone else was doing that, its a massive advantage that the storm didnt have to do that.
it allowed them to buy a much much better second string players

the salary cap stops it from becoming where the richest teams always do well

Ghoulies

Bench

The bottom line is if you invest time and effort into a player who improves due to your good coaching, you shouldn?t have to lose that player. You recruited him before anyone else, you spent the time and effort to make him a superior player, your coaching standards were higher to keep him a superior player.

Especially if the player doesn?t want to leave.

How is that fair.

I think you've misunderstood my post.

I don't agree with you that the Storm's cheating doesn't matter. I framed it as a question because it's a little bit silly how you defend the act of cheating, but then still feel the need to justify it by accusing every other club of doing it.

I also don't think it matters whether you get enjoyment out of watching your grand final DVDs when we're talking about the morality of cheating the salary cap.

The rest of your post is a little more relevant. I think it's good that Melbourne recruited some immensely talented juniors and then allowed them to realise their potential, but this isn't something that Melbourne invented, and they weren't the only ones doing it at the time of their rorting.

Other clubs either had to lose players they couldn't afford to lose, or keep them, but at the cost of replacing others with inferior options. Cheating the cap allowed the Storm to bypass that problem, hence their relatively small presence in the player market over the years.

POPEYE

Coach
Cheating doesn't bring the game into disrepute, getting caught doing it certainly does. If I'd been CEO it wouldn't have happened . . . getting caught that is

orochimaru

Juniors
Most of the Storm players you talk about came through our system as Juniors. Inglis, Slater, Cronk, Smith etc etc...

Why shouldn't we be able to keep them all.

WE and our coaching staff built them.

So we didn't steal any players from anyone else unlike a lot of teams.

I think we have a pretty good moral high ground.

We might have been over the salary cap, but so was everyone else.

you and your coaching staff?

perverse

Referee
Cheating doesn't bring the game into disrepute, getting caught doing it certainly does. If I'd been CEO it wouldn't have happened . . . getting caught that is
I didn't say cheating brought the game into disrepute (although, if you get caught, as Melbourne did, it certainly does)... I implied that cheating the cap is morally corrupt and foul, especially as systematically as Melbourne did. Scum club with scum players that have no problem buying into morally objectionable tactics on and off the field.

Knock On

Juniors
They were our players that we nurtured since they were babies; we deserve to keep them on our books. We found them, we trained them. They are better because of our good coaching.

The Storm won the premierships as fairly as any that they Brisbane Broncos did during their reign when SunCorp were paying the players off their books and as far as I am concerned they will be our premierships for EVER and EVER...

You can’t change history..

Rod

Bench
They were our players that we nurtured since they were babies; we deserve to keep them on our books. We found them, we trained them. They are better because of our good coaching.

The Storm won the premierships as fairly as any that they Brisbane Broncos did during their reign when SunCorp were paying the players off their books and as far as I am concerned they will be our premierships for EVER and EVER...

You can’t change history..

While in theory you have a good point in that concessions should probably be made for teams that nurture their young talent successfully, where your argument falls down is that in the years that Melbourne was cheating the cap and keeping all their 'homegrown' players, everyone else was playing by the rules and therefore were not able to keep all the talent they had nurtured. I'm sure Parramatta would have loved to have gone into the '09 GF with Gallen in their team.....

You could go on forever about how unfair the system is, but at the end of the day you were winning games on an uneven playing field, against teams who could only keep a certain amount of quality players.

POPEYE

Coach
While in theory you have a good point in that concessions should probably be made for teams that nurture their young talent successfully, where your argument falls down is that in the years that Melbourne was cheating the cap and keeping all their 'homegrown' players, everyone else was playing by the rules and therefore were not able to keep all the talent they had nurtured. I'm sure Parramatta would have loved to have gone into the '09 GF with Gallen in their team.....

You could go on forever about how unfair the system is, but at the end of the day you were winning games on an uneven playing field, against teams who could only keep a certain amount of quality players.

The real point is every other top echelon club was undoubtedly doing exactly the same to keep its players and have been doing so for years . . . a Swiss bank account compared to a drawer in another room the difference

Knock On

Juniors
Why, because you have a tattoo on your butt? ;-)

No the reality is that it already happened. It is not in the NOW. It is not tangible. It is part of your memory. You can only change the present.

The Past is locked away. Never to be tampered with. No matter how much jealous Sydneysiders want to reinvent the world. They simply can’t.

Yes, jealous Sydney siders who for the first time realise that, you know what, the world doesn’t shine out of Sydney’s backside.

Melbourne is the No 1 city in Australia.

Sydney is a sad, sad city.

The Melbourne Storm won those premierships and will have won them forever.\\\\:D/

God Bless the Melbourne Storm. God Bless Rugby League.:hitit:

Latest posts