What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Tigers:Post Match Thread

antonius

Coach
For all your post match thoughts. Maybe a mod can stickie this? Also the "v Souths Pick The Score" stickie has run it's course I reckon ;-)

jamesgould

Juniors
Another very good win. Carney again was terrible in defence, but you gotta hand it to him, he came up with the crunch play in attack.

Great to see Johns come alive in the final 5 with the match in the balance. If Carney's side of the field is a total shambles in defence then Carmont and Quinn look extremely solid on their half. Even when Wests created a good opportunity Carmont was right on the guy with the ball and caused him to lose it over the line.

Strange game alright, very low-paced until the final 10, but I suppose both sides key men are still recovering from being involved in the test match and backing up last weekend.

IanG

Coach
Their ball handling was a factor again to a degree. But hey we got the 2 points and yet another heartstopper.

Rod

Bench
If they were the best team they should have scored more points than us. Oh well.

Well done to our boys, it was by no means a stellar performance but the fact that we are grinding out the close wins against the top teams while still not playing our best, its very pleasing.

Alex28

Coach
The right team got the points though ;-)

It was the sort of game that we would have lost in previous years - but they stuck it out and kept going when they probably would have declared the game lost.

The boys were impressive in the first half but looked lost and tired in the second half. They looked better when Mullen came on the field - does anybody know what position he was playing given Johns, Gidley and Buderus were all still on the field?

Defence was pretty good today - 2 brilliant runs by Marshall got through them, but besides that they did pretty well. Attack they looked flat - great run by Simmo to score and as good as Carney's try was - we got a bit lucky...but we are more than due for some luck going our way.

Good to get the 2 points in the end - a sign of a good team when we can get the points when we are playing below our best.

Ben

Bench
I thought we were gone when Benji set up that try to put the Tigers ahead with six minutes to go. Carney again showed that he is a serial backpedaler when he is put under pressure. He should make up his mind whether to rush up or stay wide, but he has to stop running with his back to the attacking player. But enough with the negative, Carney did very well in the end to get the points for us.

When Carney scored i erupted. And its not a good sign when all your relatives are over for Mother's Day and you hear a guy screaming his head off in his room.

roopy

Referee
Didn't we cop it from the ref?

A very low mistake rate from both teams.

A few of our young guys are improving by the game, which will see us in good stead at the back end of the season.

Serc

First Grade
Johns seemed off the boil a bit again today... last few minutes he looked a lot more dangerous, which lead up to the long pass to Gidley to give Carney the try at the end.

Carney's defence was pathetic again.

Simpson was awesome, Smith putting in above average performances every week...consistancy plus! Overall the team was pretty good :)

Was nice to see Hampstead to not give out too many penalties....was a good 10 minute period where both sides toiled away without a break. When he did make a decision though, there were some shockers...

The Devil

Bench
Hampstead gave penalties away for the worst rulings ever. Worst reffing performance i've witnessed in quite a while.

In defence we scrambled well in the first half, but we were dropping off tackles too easily in the second half. Johns seemed to play within himself, is he carrying an injury?

Full credit must be given to Carney to back up his own kick after he was impeded. Although his game before that moment was not rock solid.. we got the two points and i'll take em :)

Big Tim

First Grade
Alex, I think either Kurt or Mullen was playing Lock as all our backs will still out there.

All in all, we got the 2 points, scrappy or not at the end of the season we got a win and they got a loss. All that matters is increasing that points total.

roopy

Referee
The good news is that the Tigers are close to their best - and we are far from it at the moment.
I think we need Thaiday to add some spark and Perry to add some grunt badly.

stevo

Juniors
yeah Gus was hinting at the fact he thought Joey was carrying a injury. I hope he's all good!

I think i seen the Crusade at the end there. Didn't see a sign though so not sure. Astro were you at the game?

Johns Magic

Referee
roopy said:
I think we need Thaiday to add some spark and Perry to add some grunt badly.

You beat me to it roopy.

In matches like that where it's tight and the players are tired, the sort of players I look to are Perry and Thaiday.

No forward today really looked like busting through tackles for a huge run, and that's what Perry is capable of. We need someone like this in our team, and he tore the Dogs apart earlier in the year with a few of these runs.

Thaiday is a game-breaker, plain and simple. Seage is going alright, but Thaiday is mesmerising. Our backline isn't half as potent without him.

jamesgould

Juniors
Carney's defensive ploy seems to be

1. Adopt position in oppositions backline.

2. Hope an opposition player passes to you.

He should have a look at how Carmont and Quinn are defending. They had a lot thrown their way, but slid across, stayed on their man and eventually the numbers arrive to effect the tackle.

Johns Magic

Referee
jamesgould said:
Carney's defensive ploy seems to be

1. Adopt position in oppositions backline.

2. Hope an opposition player passes to you.

He should have a look at how Carmont and Quinn are defending. They had a lot thrown their way, but slid across, stayed on their man and eventually the numbers arrive to effect the tackle.

Deadset, I could've killed Carney today. The Tigers second try was another case of the winger getting outside him, and Carney having to run backwards to try to stop him.
Then two minutes later he came in a mile and got beaten on the outside again. If Kidley hadn't come across to save the day it was a definite try.
The Tigers' last try was abysmal. Carney came infield, and as the ball came closer to the wing, he started to run directly towards the Knights' cornerpost in an effort to cover his man. As a result, Marshall ran straight at him, using him almost as a shield before Gidley had to come across and make the tackle, but it was all too late, with Benji giving the offload to Elford(Carney's man who'd run the switch line because he could see that Carney was wrong-footed), and the Tigers scored.

The amount of times the opposition team has had the ball on the right side of the field, spotted that Carney's come in, and thrown five or six passes to the other side of the field to score in the corner is amazing.

stevo said:
I think i seen the Crusade at the end there. Didn't see a sign though so not sure.

Twas' The Crusade indeed. They were on twice, the first time was a quick one, for a second. And then one when the game ended.
I thought it was a good game, I'm relieved we won. Ref sucked though, his calls.. far out. But I'm glad we won.

CycloneSteve

Juniors
Yeah we won in spite of some disgraceful refereeing decisions. Twice we were pinged for stealing the ball in a two man tackle when the second player didnt come in until AFTER the ball had been stripped. The penalty against Joey and Co. for dragging Hodgson over the touch line when he clearly just dived on the ground (voluntary tackle).
But in saying that I thought our attack line was way to flat. We got called for forward passes on a couple of occasions and there could have been a few that weren't called (Simpsons try possibly).
However my hats off to the boys for hanging in there and not giving up. It did almost look like a carbon copy of the Cowboys game in Round 6.
Two points is two points tho. All good. Bring on another 70+ against the Raiders