What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V Titans Post Match Thread

Johns Magic

Referee
I just want to give a shout out to Lulia.

He shut down so many dangerous situations yesterday on our left-hand side. He just seemed to make the right decision in defence everytime.

That side of the field is Prince's pet side. He loves setting up Petersen, and he was going for it a lot. With Vuna marking up on him, last year you would've seen a couple of tries down that wing, but Vuna's defence has improved out of sight with Lulia standing next to him, and there's a reason for that.

Yesterday in the second half when there was an overlap for Petersen, Lulia backed up straight away and got back there to meet Petersen before he could dive over in the corner. Sure enough it saved a try, and with the help of Kidley Petersen was barreled into touch. It was the perfect example of scramble defence, and it's reads like that that win games. In this case I think it did.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Can anyone explain why Maddog was on the bench and not used? Not another Brian Smith test to see how the team handled being a man short on the bench, like he did in 2001? If so, it's a pretty dumb decision. And extra forward or utility could have had us with a higher winning margin.

roopy

Referee
Can anyone explain why Maddog was on the bench and not used? Not another Brian Smith test to see how the team handled being a man short on the bench, like he did in 2001? If so, it's a pretty dumb decision. And extra forward or utility could have had us with a higher winning margin.
We were defending grimly for most of the second half as Prince got repeat set after repeat set - would you throw the dog into the mix? - sounds like a way to lose to me.

Gene Krupa

Referee
We were defending grimly for most of the second half as Prince got repeat set after repeat set - would you throw the dog into the mix? - sounds like a way to lose to me.

I didn't ask why we didn't use him, I asked why he was picked at all. It was no sense selection.

strewth_mate

Bench
But you see wingers like Matt Peterson with seemingly little skill who score hat-tricks just by getting themself in the right position.
McManus is more than capable of scoring tries really, he is a great finisher. But thinking about it, we'd been bagging Vuna for his lack of stripe crossing too - I think it could be argued that it's not exactly easy to finish off a movement if it isn't moving, and neither of our wingers have been frequently gifted opportunities this year.

The ball will be spread, but it tends to stop with the second rower or centre up in the faces of the defense, and with the way the play had been set up it'd be useless to throw it to the winger. As such, our flanks are very quiet this year unless they make it their business to get involved, such as Vuna trying his luck last night, and the requisite dummy half running, but we can't expect either he or McManus to score too many this year if all they are doing is dummy half running and trying to avoid the sideline from a flat and cramped distribution. You don't get 15 tries in a season from dummy half, and that's why Peterson will score his hat tricks - someone will do half his job for him.

Pika

Bench
Best defence I have seen in five years.

5 repeat sets from drop outs. One try.

Ciraldo was defending well until his shoulder injury.

I thought Houso was outstanding in defence.

Patto aimed up.

Anyone got Wick numbers for the game?

Johns Magic

Referee
Anyone got Wick numbers for the game?

8 hitups
72 metres
0 errors
26 tackles
5 missed tackles
0 one-on-one tackles
3 tackle busts

Just noticed that Houston made 7 one-on-one tackles, the most of the round in the comp in front of Tighe on 6. Our next closest were Wes and Zeb with 3 each.

Jono078

Referee
Wicks' defence is a huge concern IMO, he likes sticking his arm out and rushing up for big hits, a smart team will take note of that and offload the ball quickly and get the quicker guys around him.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Wicks' defence is a huge concern IMO, he likes sticking his arm out and rushing up for big hits, a smart team will take note of that and offload the ball quickly and get the quicker guys around him.

I noticed that too in one of the opening exchanges. I think Wicksy is best suited as and inmpact player off the bench, than as a starting front rower.

Apey

Staff member
I always feel like he's going to break his neck or something he throws himself out like that :lol:

Yosh

Coach
Vuna best game ever, funny considering he didnt score and he is a winger... Ran harder then I've seen Perry run in 5 years...

McManus's hit on O'Dweye can someone make a video of it like the raiderfan dudes one of Joey getting knocked out? That was a killer hit!!!

I was like crapping my pants at the end, when Mullen put that shocker of a kick in right, because with all of us chasing if we missed that tackle, they make a break we could of lost, but it was Super Vuna saturday night... Amazing tackle to win us the game really

Jono078

Referee
Just on Vuna, he easily looks bigger to me this year, anyone think it's taken away his speed? It seemed to me Campbell chased him down easily, and I dont think Campbell is all that quick over a fair distance?

Johns Magic

Referee
I definitely think he looks slower. I preferred the leaner, faster Vuna model than the current one. But maybe if he starts playing like Manu Vatuvei in attack I'll change my mind.

Pika

Bench
He is bigger. Maybe slower.

Found his fend last night.

Skittled a few. Fun to watch.