What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights vs Bulldogs First Grade Team

BG

Juniors
Red and Blue Knight said:
Welcome to the forums Brian. Glad to have you here.

:p

:lol:

If Polglase comes on as hooker then we have a positive ID! ;-)

RABK

Referee
I just think that's how Patto is built, look at Sonny Bill - his overall physique is very lean especially in the legs. Just carries such a lot of lean muscle which makes him heavy whilst keeping a very lean look.

Both are about 105kg, 3 kg heavier then Roy Asotasi who looks like he weighs 20 kg more then them.

Yeah maybe - i guess time will.

On another topic, did anyone notice Franze was missing in both grades. He looked ok in the short time he played in the Premier League trial but dissapointingly slow when he made a long run down the flank off a break / dropped pass by cronulla. Did i hear he had a jaw injury?

antonius

Coach
Sir Knight82 said:
I stand corrected at this stage Antonius!

Interesting side, bloody inexperienced but was always going to be like that after our numerous departures last year.
Eh? stand corrected for what?

keeney

First Grade
Pika said:
Achilles injury.

Aku not nursing an injury that I am aware of. Running freely and participating in all the contact work.

God it's good having someone to end speculation around here. Ah, any verdict on severity of it? How's he been looking in the preseason in general? Think he'll be a decent pick up?

Pika

Bench
Red and Blue Knight said:
I just think that's how Patto is built, look at Sonny Bill - his overall physique is very lean especially in the legs. Just carries such a lot of lean muscle which makes him heavy whilst keeping a very lean look.

Both are about 105kg, 3 kg heavier then Roy Asotasi who looks like he weighs 20 kg more then them.

Sonny has put on 10kg lean in he off season.

A very lean 114 from all reports.

40 and 100 is faster depite the weight.

Will be interesting to see how good his motor is with that extra weihgt.

[furrycat]

Coach
Last year he was still running the 40m at the same time as he did when he first joined the dogs, and back then he was only 80kg.

RABK

Referee
Sonny is running around at 114kg? Why do i highly doubt that? At that weight and maintaining his bodyfat he'd look like Arnie did back in the 70's. Eg ripped to the bone. 114kg is 250 pounds - way too much weight for someone of his frame to be carrying.

CJKnight

Juniors
Here are my thoughts on our FG team:

I was surprised there is no Sargent. I cannot see how Royal or White would be better than having Sargent on the bench?

Personally I think Polglase is just listed there as cover incase of injuries to a backline player. Kidley might play some hooker if Seu Seu needs a rest, but Doogs will most likely fill in at fullback if that happens IMO.

McManus and Tighe seem to have got the nod ahead of Uate. I am not sure whether this a good thing or a bad one. I hate to see youngster's careers ruined because of rushing them into FG, but we coulda really used his speed and try-scoring ability. Look at Inglis, he came into FG at 19 and represented QLD last year!

What will be of greater intrest to me is Mullen in the starting 5/8 positon. His running game a killer left-foot step could mean the difference when we are in the opposition's 10m zone. With Joey's injury cloud, I expect him to really stand up and lead with his kicking game too.

No Abes at lock. looks like "mountain man" Reynoldson has impressed at training. Personally I think Reyno is a better starter than benchie.

Super Sub

Juniors
I'm really happy with that backline. Tighe and Carmont in the centres is going to be a winner I think, and Doogs being on the wing is good too.

I'm a little disappointed that Reyno got the starting lock position tbh, but then again maybe he showed his worth in the trials and Abes didn't. I am glad to see Abes in the side though, and Tolar seems to be back too which is a great sign. A few of the forgotten players look like they are getting a secont chance under smith (e.g. Tolar and White)

Hmmm, I had a thought, yes many of you who said that Polglase might come on as a hooker for Seu Seu are probably right. But maybe he is also there for if we get a big lead on the dogs. Think about it, if we are up by 20 points with 15 mins to go, maybe Smith will take Joey off and Move Mullen to Half-back, Kidley to 5/8 and Polglase to Fullback, that doesn't seem to be out of the realms of possibility does it?

I'm pretty happy with the team though.

P.S. did anyone realise that Matt Utai and Brent Sherwin have been ruled out through injury? This can only be good for us I reckon...

CJKnight

Juniors
Super Sub said:
I'm really happy with that backline. Tighe and Carmont in the centres is going to be a winner I think, and Doogs being on the wing is good too.

I'm a little disappointed that Reyno got the starting lock position tbh, but then again maybe he showed his worth in the trials and Abes didn't. I am glad to see Abes in the side though, and Tolar seems to be back too which is a great sign. A few of the forgotten players look like they are getting a secont chance under smith (e.g. Tolar and White)

Hmmm, I had a thought, yes many of you who said that Polglase might come on as a hooker for Seu Seu are probably right. But maybe he is also there for if we get a big lead on the dogs. Think about it, if we are up by 20 points with 15 mins to go, maybe Smith will take Joey off and Move Mullen to Half-back, Kidley to 5/8 and Polglase to Fullback, that doesn't seem to be out of the realms of possibility does it?

I'm pretty happy with the team though.

P.S. did anyone realise that Matt Utai and Brent Sherwin have been ruled out through injury? This can only be good for us I reckon...

No coach in his right mind would play a fullback on the bench "just incase we have a massive lead in the last 15 minutes".

Joey wouldn't come off the field without someone dragging him off anyway. Why give up a perfectly good bench spot to a fullback for a situation that might never happen? God knows we will need the extra forward power off the bench anyway...

Yosh

Coach
christopherjon said:
No coach in his right mind would play a fullback on the bench "just incase we have a massive lead in the last 15 minutes".

Joey wouldn't come off the field without someone dragging him off anyway. Why give up a perfectly good bench spot to a fullback for a situation that might never happen? God knows we will need the extra forward power off the bench anyway...

He is saying as a last resort, not that this is our one and only game plan

Johns Magic

Referee
Probably the best pack we could've chosen.

I think Reynoldson will be good in terms of shutting down their forwards...if he can do alot of tackling then that takes more pressure off Simmo in that regard.

We will miss Buderus big time...our pack looks lost without him.

Still missing Thaiday, though hopefully he'll be back in soon. We need some of that x-factor he provides.

CJKnight

Juniors
Yosh said:
He is saying as a last resort, not that this is our one and only game plan

I know.

But if it came down to the last 15 minutes and we had a 20-point lead then we could easily get away with putting Doogs to fulback and Newton or Patterson to centre.

Pumba

First Grade
Tony Archer is the ref for Sunday.

GAME: NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS V BULLDOGS
DATE: 18 MARCH 2007
Venue: ENERGYAUSTRALIA STADIUM
NRL Kick Off: 2:00 PM [FOX]
Referee: Tony Archer
Colour: Yellow
Sideline Officials: Steve Lyons, Allen Foster
Video Referee: Steve Clark

Jono078

Referee
I'm fairly happy with the team.

Everyone is on a clean sheet as far as im concerned, as long as Reynoldon and company can peform week in week out im happy for them to be there.

Latest posts