What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V's Roosters, Post match talk.

Doctor

Bench
I wish to post my many greivances Tony.
Today's performance was sloppy - too much dropped ball, slack defence etc.

The Knights have been praised for how they "hung in there" in today's match. But they killed their own chances with poor defence. Abraham and Lowrie being foxed by Finch is just one example of the ordinary and sloppy defence.
Sloppy ball control from one Russell Richardson - others are also guilty of silly errors in key field position.

I won't avoid the major issue today: Tim Mander's refereeing was below-average, very ordinary.
Penalties against us, non-penalties for us, a poor "not played-at" call and a number of other poor calls. I'm disappointed by the level of penalties given to the Roosters. Many key calls went against the Knights - taken without possession of the ball, another one for an alleged strip, others not given etc.

I usually defend the referees, but today was ordinary......very ordinary. It accounts for the loss in my opinion. You have to understand my reluctance to criticise the referees, but we lost today largely due to the big calls against us at key points of the match.

Tim Mander is a good bloke off the field, but his performance today was very disappointing. I don't agree with booing him from the field, but his performance wasn't acceptable - I'm sure the NRL referee's process will assess his game. I'm also fairly sure he will agree with many of the complaints that have and will be made following the match.

I was disappointed with the defensive effort at times today, but just generally disappointed we didn't turn a great opportunity into a win. The match was all ours for the taking - we blew it. :(

foetus_head

Juniors
Well Finch got man of the match, why, because he was the one who won it for them by tackling a man without the ball, although I must say that the ref and touch judges were in very close contention.

Doctor

Bench
That was very negative wasn't it?

The positives: Didn't Kurt Gidley have a top notch game? The kicking was the only aspect that disappointed. 29 tackles, a number of hands in tries and a try himself.

Danny Buderus, plenty of tackles and some good work from dummy half. Unfortunately these two performances were overshadowed by the inertia displayed by others.

The loss of Ben Kennedy was significant. We struggled all afternoon for metres, meaning that we relied on Roosters mistakes and the odd line-break for our tries. We never matched it with them, which cost us valuable position.

Russell Richardson is not first grade standard, this fact is now clear. His defence is not up to first grade level, and his ball handling was sloppy today. From what I saw of Spiteri today in Premier League, perhaps we should give these youngsters a go.

The atmosphere wasn't exactly electric - perhaps we Knights fans need to lift our own intensity during the next two weeks. The volume was set on either mute or "barely audible" all day unless a try was scored. Perhaps we need some songs to sing, perhaps we need a new player to get behind (i.e. "Ken-Ed-Dee" instead of "Raah-Hii-Hii").

The Knights managed to contain the Roosters fairly well today, but let themselves down with sloppy defence in patches and an unwillingness to do the hard yards in attack out of their own end.

keeney

First Grade
im so pissed about the finch tackle on witt, like unbelievably so, im gonna go calm down

les norton

First Grade
Ditto Keeney....MAnder is a dead set shocker.!! Richardson should say bye bye right now...I'm quite upset!! :evil:

I am happy with some things. I am just to pissed to remember....i mean angry, i havent had a drink at all...YET!!

princess plj

Juniors
what was with the ref......the touchie??? are they blind??? giving away penalties to the wrong team in case. i must say i agreed with gus they have to rid of the rule for racking---- at once stage the ball was lost not racked out...

NC

Juniors
Tim Mander had a krap game, many bad calls, including the Finch tackle on Steve Witt.

That try awarded to Chris Walker by the video ref was bloody stupid!! The exact same thing happened on Friday nite with the Bulldogs vs. Warriors and it was a no try and I don't see how this one was any different.

Kurt Gidley's kicking game was poor. But I did like that grubber kick to set up a try for Matt ;-) and also liked Kurt's try too.

Danny Buderus - once again a great game.

Russel Richardson - like Oswin said he shouldn't be playing in first grade. He has been doing really krap all year.

Misanthrope

Staff member
We were robbed, if not of a win, than at the very least- of a close loss. Having that bullshit call go against us gave them eight points to finish the game off.

We did blow some chances, but then, so did Sydney. It was a messy but entertaining game, and I'm proud of the side for sticking in there after losing yet another game breaking player.

It's good to see Tahu, Gidley, and Buderus in the Aussie side. We could have used them against Canberra though- I don't like our chances down three world class players.

Kaz

junior
chriswalkerbush said:
It's good to see Tahu, Gidley, and Buderus in the Aussie side. We could have used them against Canberra though- I don't like our chances down three world class players.

The players are available to play for their clubs.

The Test is on a Friday.

Johns Magic

Referee
Ridiculous that tackle on Witt by Finch, if we had got that penalty, it may well have gone into golden-point. That "strip" was just the nail in the coffin.

Does anyone know who took over as captain? Hopefully Bedsy.

Well done Witt. Once again, you were the solid link between Kidley and the outside backs that we needed.

Gidley and Tahu played well, and were justifiably chosen in the Australian team, despite the many knockers.

Refereeing was poor, as was Richardson- not first-grade standard at all.

Matthew Kennedy was good today, with some spirited runs.

That's my rant, I am now going to go and cool off.

Chook

First Grade
Gutsy effort Knights, those calls against you in the last 10 were absolute shockers, even I was screaming at Mander. Only because the bastard will even up the ledger with us some where down the track, he always does. I thought the Gidley brothers were tremendous and busted their arses all day. Abraham just keeps getting better and better.

Congrats on the new stadium by the way. It'll be something special when it's done, not a place for the feint of heart!

Chook.

If that is the so called"benchmark "then im proud to say that we could also sit top of the class!
BUT...
Dont confuse that as being happy with the performance.
Dont accept near enough is good enough.
Gidley would have had strips torn off him by Johns for that pass 1 min.from 1/2 time.
The defence is going back to last year where we Hang back.
The goosters made it out of their end to easy
Kidley need huge work on kicking.
There were times when we could have played a speed play but we lumbered it up the middle one out
But when we spread the ball with confidence we looked good
The "tackle" on Witt byFinch was a diabolical decision!Its all about position and we would have been pressing!
Now that Ive had time to cool off-the more we can appreciate how we played but

Lets not become complacent and accept near enough is good enough

chinorocks

Juniors
Some very very terrible calls by Mander, especially in the last 10 minutes.

Richardson has to go...when is Quinn back??? When he's back Carmont to the centres Quinn on the wing, the Tahu Gidley combination is to good to split up by playing Tahu in the centres.

I thought everyone played pretty well bar Richardson. Kurt gidleys long kicking game and bombs need alot of work. Can Witt kick at all (other than grubber kicks)???

~bedsy~

First Grade
Oswin said:
The atmosphere wasn't exactly electric - perhaps we Knights fans need to lift our own intensity during the next two weeks. The volume was set on either mute or "barely audible" all day unless a try was scored. Perhaps we need some songs to sing, perhaps we need a new player to get behind (i.e. "Ken-Ed-Dee" instead of "Raah-Hii-Hii").
Well where I was sitting all you could hear was the crowd... I couldn't even hear my sports ears!
I don't get you people... I thought it was a great game and alot of positives came out of it. Danny was great as per usual. Shame about Kennedy though.
Our defence is getting alot better than 2 weeks ago and I think it was a great game from the boys... a few mistakes were made from both sides and Mander had a shocker, most of the calls should have gone the Knights way. He didn't penalise them for going over the top of us after a tackle. Things like that really peeved me off.
But I had fun today for the first game back... the new stand is great and pretty roomy. Plus I have lost my voice again :lol:

gaterooze

Bench
Loved the game, very tense and exciting. I thought we played well, and certainly showed some great signs for the year ahead (oh yeah, and we wuz robbed).

Richardson -- MUST GO.

Latest posts