What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

ryana87

Juniors
I'm giving Mullen the benefit of the doubt considering he has been struggling with his toe injury for a while now

I'd dare say Beau Scott and Jeremy Smith are in the group he was referring to........ Scott just seems like a player who is just taking it easy for the rest of the year because he knows he is off next year.... And jsmith is just simply past it

aqua_duck

Coach
He specifically said "career players with Newcastle" so I think he's more referring to Roberts, Aku, Jimmy, Mullo, Houston, etc

Jobdog

Live Update Team
In fairness to Mullo though, he hasn't had a great deal of help for the last, what, at least five years? And that's even accounting for Bennett coming and going. When he was here some of his "big name signings" ie Darius weren't interested except for 6-8 weeks post Origin, Tyrone was still hot and cold and we didn't have the forwards. We still don't.

Alex28

Coach
I went to a breakfast this morning at which the guest speaker was the chairman of the Melbourne Rebels Super Rugby club. He detailed how when they first started there was no strategy - they bought players based on name and not on necessity. Last year they changed direction - they sought to build a young squad (junior rep players and the like) and only bought in senior players that could be a positive influence over the younger players. Their aim is to have 6-10 players that have played together for 6 years+ by the time they get to the age of 28.

As I was listening to his talk, it occurred to me that is what we had with the squad that won the 1997 and 2001 premierships - a core group of players that essentially played together throughout their 20's. Then - as they moved on or retired - we completely ignored that strategy and we know the results.

We have that opportunity now - we have a really solid group of young guys who could play together for the next decade, and adding guys like Hodkinson who the others can learn from. What we haven't done is cut the ones who aren't there for the right reasons - and unfortunately we have a few of those...

I really hope this is the strategy we are following. It makes sense. It isn't going to show results straight away but it would set the club up longer-term...

Great clubs turn their rosters over every 2-3 years but the degree to which they do depends on the performances of certain players. We have not really done it at all except when an outsider comes to coach the joint. Our juniors have never had more genuine talent across the board but the depth is our issue. We just are not an area full of real talent anymore.

We have blooded many first graders but the actual pedigree of those players to function as first graders is seriously debatable. You can almost become a first grader by default here. When you have that situation where you have players pinching themselves every week and simply enjoying the moment then you are in real trouble. They play like they know it will never be taken away from them at anytime so they don't have any real fear regarding their place in the team. I believe awe is a footballer's worst enemy. Exactly why Klemmer is going to be a very successful footballer. He respects but that is where it ends. Once the white line is crossed he doesn't give a f### what your name is. We need kids with a bit of arrogance but measured with pride in the chance they have taken.

Nuffy

Bench
All, I've followed up Matt Gidley today about the launch of the strategic plan, it was suggested that it would be launched Friday of this week.

Seems too late in the week now to announce it and I am wondering whether they are keeping it as a fallback good news story just in case they lose on Saturday.

perverse

Referee
All, I've followed up Matt Gidley today about the launch of the strategic plan, it was suggested that it would be launched Friday of this week.

Seems too late in the week now to announce it and I am wondering whether they are keeping it as a fallback good news story just in case they lose on Saturday.
Well, they don't want to hang onto it too much longer, the club is finally copping a pasting in the media. Having said that, a Sunday press release would make sense... at this point everyone should be anticipating a loss.

Nuffy

Bench
Mids has come back and indicated that they will be holding a members forum within the next two weeks and it will be unveiled there.

Lets make sure a number of the group can make it to the forum to review it.

Nuffy

Bench
On Twitter I got a message showing that the Knights are having a function on the 29th of July to discuss.

There is nothing online that I can find and I haven't received an email?

Anyone got anything?

Frederick

Staff member
So in the press conference Gidley talks about how embarrassed they all were and they couldn't even look the fans in the eye after the game. Why then do I have pictures of players all smiles with the fans after the game popping up on my Facebook feed? The players don't deserve to smile after a game like that. No pride shown in the jersey whatsoever.

So in one day we have:
A 46 point hammering in the most inept performance of the year;
Players showing no pride or remorse by smiling and posing for photos; and
Another masterful recruitment decision from Michael Hagan in bringing Todd Lowrie back to the club.

I can't wait to see this "grand plan" Gidley and McGuigan have for the club.

Nuffy, might be time to go on the offensive again

Whats Doing

Bench
Signing Lowrie is not making the club go forward but is taking the club backwards.

Unless the club gets rid of Stone and Hages, I will have no faith at all that the Board has the best interests of the club wanting to aspire to being a top 8 side let alone a premiership side.

This signing really shows how inept the football side of the club is.

Last edited:

Loose Cannon

Bench
It's like their strategy is to turn our campaign into a bunch of stark-raving lunatics (like the majority of such groups tend to be), so they can dismiss us as such, burying their heads in the sand, whilst all their problems will just disappear in time.

Guess what Knights, we are smarter than you. Not that it seems to be a difficult accomplishment.

Noname36

First Grade
I want to but I don't think I'll make it from Syd after work for 5pm. Hopefully a lot can make it though.

Why would you even bother? You are going to be told PR spin doctor bullshit and our debt will be the excuse. How we Operate at a million dollar a year loss is beyond me. Especially with the NRL in charge. If you do get the chance remind them you have to speculate to accumulate. Buy the players to put arses on seats and win games or at least lose them with class. This club infuriates now.

Last edited:

Latest posts