What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Gazzamatta

Coach
Ok I was wrong with my comments on the NSW cup team..

They have a few players that look like they could make it to the NRL...
Dunsters D is average at best. Rankin is streets ahead of Dill Smith but then if that reserve only plays 5 mins max each week does it really matter?
Young Arthur would probably develop into a good fullback. Has all the attributes.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Dunsters D is average at best. Rankin is streets ahead of Dill Smith but then if that reserve only plays 5 mins max each week does it really matter?
Young Arthur would probably develop into a good fullback. Has all the attributes.
Has to be second Roe.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He's pretty good mate. For one so young. Rankin alongside him is great for the kid. Early days but some green shoots there.
Yes he does look good, composed and doesn’t seem to overplay his hand. Unlike our first grade half back. But it is easy to look good in that grade against passive defensive lines. Still I’d like to see us lock him up for a few more years because I just can’t see us winning anything with the Downhill skier at 7.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yes he does look good, composed and doesn’t seem to overplay his hand. Unlike our first grade half back. But it is easy to look good in that grade against passive defensive lines. Still I’d like to see us lock him up for a few more years because I just can’t see us winning anything with the Downhill skier at 7.
I thought he looked a bit Boys V Men last week while still hanging in. I saw a fair improvement yesterday. Could be the opposition but he's one to persevere with that's for sure. Rankin definitely took pressure off the kid yesterday.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Yeah, I wondered what position he would play if he ends up age 22 + 6'2" 90+ kgs

Halfback. For all the talk of him being "a coach's son" or whatever, the kid reads and understands the game. He knows when to give his outside players early ball, he knows when to hold it up and play into the line. The little chip for Russell to score showed "eyes up" footy while his 2nd try was a nicely worked set play. There are some regular first grade halves that are still working out how to use their centres properly, look at origin last year, neither Wighton nor Gutherson were utilised properly by the halves.

Of course this is against lesser opposition than he's faced in the 2 previous weeks but the fundamentals are there. I still believe he's another pre-season away from getting close to first grade (cultivating mass and getting used to the physicality against men) but I think once he cracks first grade he'll stay up there.

Avenger

Immortal
Halfback. For all the talk of him being "a coach's son" or whatever, the kid reads and understands the game. He knows when to give his outside players early ball, he knows when to hold it up and play into the line. The little chip for Russell to score showed "eyes up" footy while his 2nd try was a nicely worked set play. There are some regular first grade halves that are still working out how to use their centres properly, look at origin last year, neither Wighton nor Gutherson were utilised properly by the halves.

Of course this is against lesser opposition than he's faced in the 2 previous weeks but the fundamentals are there. I still believe he's another pre-season away from getting close to first grade (cultivating mass and getting used to the physicality against men) but I think once he cracks first grade he'll stay up there.
Pace is the only thing he lacks but our greatest ever 7 didn’t have any either.

hindy111

Post Whore

Anytime I have seen a line break from the opposition Arthurs has been the ones chasing them down. He moves fast. Unsure why people suggested he is slow.
But what it also shows me is one, he is alert and 2nd he has a never die attitude.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Anytime I have seen a line break from the opposition Arthurs has been the ones chasing them down. He moves fast. Unsure why people suggested he is slow.
But what it also shows me is one, he is alert and 2nd he has a never die attitude.

I'm a big fan of Jakob Arthur - the boy can play.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Arthur may not be super quick over 10-20ms, but he will be very big for a half, 6ft plus probably close to 95kg once fully developed. Which may help with a lack of “speed”

Additionally last 2 weeks he has scored 2 tries with his running game....

hindy111

Post Whore
Arthur may not be super quick over 10-20ms, but he will be very big for a half, 6ft plus probably close to 95kg once fully developed. Which may help with a lack of “speed”

Additionally last 2 weeks he has scored 2 tries with his running game....

He will end up a Trent Barrett style half.

Latest posts