What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

King-Gutho94

Coach
I actually think Cayless was the last real captain our clubs had. A great captain. Rubbish coach but. I've watched the structures in NSW CUP and angles. There is no angles. No structure.

And don't forget he has the best halfback in NSW CUP running the show.
Great captain maybe but we were let down in a lot of big games.

How many big games did we lose during his captaincy.

2001 & 2005 chokes Brian Smith wears the can a lot. But where was the leadership on the field.

Having the VC Wagon run out like a maniac to try and tackle Matty Bowen was an example of poor leadership.

I don't remember Cayless standing up at much in those games either.

TheRam

Coach
Last comment on coaches. I think that it’s been shown time and time again that coaches need good squads to achieve success.

Seibold at Souths is a good coach.
Seibold at Broncos is a bad coach
Seibold at Manly is a good coach
Maguire at Souths at Souths is a good coach
Maguire at Tigers is a bad coach.

You can go on and on with examples

Even Wayne Bennett showed that you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Merkins are so quick to look at the scoreboard and use that at a determining factor about the coaches ability. Yes, the buck stops with him, but (especially with NSW Cup) the roster determines results. NSW are semi professional and literally have one training session a week. How merkins know who is the better coach out of Joe O’Callaghan, Nathan Cayless or George Ndaira is horse hockey unless you go to all the matches or watch all the tapes and know all the squads. Excuse me for being a cynic, but Cayless is just ripe low hanging fruit for people looking for a scapegoat.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Ah there you go again, back to the imbecilic Gronk again, not making sense.

Any half decent coach can get a team filled with great players up and even win a premiership. I mean look at Walters right now, hardly anyone would rate him as a good to great coach, but maybe for Pou and you.

As for even the great man Bennett not being able to make a silk purse from a sows ear, well you should also be familiar with the saying 'winning begins in the front office'.

Everyone knows that NC was a joke and a basket case in the front office with that fat pseudo billionaire mucking up the joint. No one could have made that work. Stability and mutual co-operation need to be paramount. NC had none of that while fatso and Bennett were there.

Yeah the world is once again as it should be, Gronk is a delusional merkin that sees things through his faux, everyone gets a ribbon lefty, kaleidoscope glasses.

Gronk

Staff member

Any half decent coach can get a team filled with great players up and even win a premiership. I mean look at Walters right now, hardly anyone would rate him as a good to great coach, but maybe for Pou and you.

As for even the great man Bennett not being able to make a silk purse from a sows ear, well you should also be familiar with the saying 'winning begins in the front office'.

Everyone knows that NC was a joke and a basket case in the front office with that fat pseudo billionaire mucking up the joint. No one could have made that work. Stability and mutual co-operation need to be paramount. NC had none of that while fatso and Bennett were there.

Yeah the world is once again as it should be, Gronk is a delusional merkin that sees things through his faux, everyone gets a ribbon lefty, kaleidoscope glasses.
Are talking to me or about me. Seems odd way to reply. I don’t bite you know. Don’t be scared.

So my premise was that good coaches can’t make shit squads perform much above their abilities.

Other than vitriol, I don’t really see where you have disageed with me.

Walters ? You said HERE last week that they have a very, very good young team. So we agree, again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lol a bit of research?? He’s been a f**king dud everywhere he has gone. He’s already been flicked from here.
Yeah Ivan Cleary was flicked from plenty of clubs as well, including his current club. Sounds like Cayless was in demand. How good do you need to be to coach reserve grade ffs. Nobody cares.

hindy111

Post Whore

If this isn't POST OF THE YEAR then it's a bloody hot contender. Brilliant

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He'll never be a coaches arsehole mate. Anyone who has listened to him or watched him over the years can see that other then the apologists. The highest he he should ever go to is as an assistant. Why? Because he is a nice guy that players will respond to at that level and obviously he knows the game and in particular forwards play.

But to be the big Kahuna at NRL or even NSW Cup level, he hasn't got the temperament people savvy to deal with the myriad of personalities, or I would argue Gravitas to influence these kids when they are out of sorts and need their attitude adjusted. We all saw how he may have been our longest serving captain, but hardly an inspiring leader. I'm not trying to diminish his ability as a player, he was a great player at his best, but leader, I would say average.

I feel that the only reason he was made captain at such a young age by Brian Smith is because he was a great soldier and seriously focused about his RL, but that is all he was a soldier that should have never risen above sergeant. But Smith being smith as we know likes followers that don't question and can just execute his game plans without grief which is what players like Cayless and Hindmarsh were/are. Smith should have chosen any of the Canterbury four who where way more experienced and qualified for the job, but he chose the soldier and as we know slowly allowed the brains trust players including the Dogs 4 to walk our of the club.

Cayless is a great freakin soldier that is why great coaches love him, but captain of the ship or General of the army? No freakin way.
A club's reserve grade coach isn't general of anything. They are behind the NRL assistant coaches in the pecking order. Jordan Rankin was the coach last year ffs. It's not important. Remember Rip Taylor?

hindy111

Post Whore
Last comment on coaches. I think that it’s been shown time and time again that coaches need good squads to achieve success.

Seibold at Souths is a good coach.
Seibold at Broncos is a bad coach
Seibold at Manly is a good coach
Maguire at Souths at Souths is a good coach
Maguire at Tigers is a bad coach.

You can go on and on with examples

Even Wayne Bennett showed that you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Merkins are so quick to look at the scoreboard and use that at a determining factor about the coaches ability. Yes, the buck stops with him, but (especially with NSW Cup) the roster determines results. NSW are semi professional and literally have
😴 one training session a week. How merkins know who is the better coach out of Joe O’Callaghan, Nathan Cayless or George Ndaira is horse hockey unless you go to all the matches or watch all the tapes and know all the squads. Excuse me for being a cynic, but Cayless is just ripe low hanging fruit for people looking for a scapegoat.

Happy to be proven wrong.

😴

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He may be an ok assistant but not a coach.

Fitzgibbon was also at the Roosters and has gone onto be a head coach.
Reserve grade coach is an assistant. The head coach is the head coach of the club, not just the NRL team. The bloke coaching reserve grade is coaching a team nobody gives a f**k about. That's why nuffies do it. It is on the pathway below assistant coach of the NRL side.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Does watching a highlights reel, where the team was an actual disgrace, count as plausible?
Bellamy's team conceded 40 in an NRL grand final. Does it mean he can't get them up for big games? Does it mean he can't coach? Sometimes things go wrong on the day. You can't help bad luck.

Gronk

Staff member
What do you put it down to?
I’m not dumb enough to claim that I know the answers. However the squad seem out of their depth. Not good enough. They need a kick up the arse a few sackings and maybe pizza at Hineys. Defense is attitude and they are all capable. Man up FFS.

A bit of research would help. So you really don’t know about his coaching stints at the Warriors, Tigers and Roosters ? I call bullshit cos some of you were lacing up the boxing gloves the moment he was announced as Cup coach, still steaming after his final playing years in 2009/10.

The team is clearly a rabble and this week were up against it, with Ron Massey players, Flegg players and second tier players badly out of form playing under difficult circumstances. Everyone knows that but you guys seize a opportunity club sledge and drive it home.

So today it’s the coaches fault is it ? Cos a few days ago it was pretty clear that our depth charts into second tier was pretty well non existent.

Opinion: The reason other clubs are strong in Cup is not because who is signed as their #29 or #30 in their NRL squad. Its how strong their second tier squad are. It’s pretty clear to me that clubs with a strong cup team either buy buy buy (somehow within a tiny cap) or reap the benefits of years of Matts Ball and Flegg programs. Is Canterbury and Jets strong now because they have imported players or are they reaping the benefits of good junior programs? I don’t know because I haven’t combed through their 2019/20/21 junior squads (were there any due to covid) to find out.

One thing I do know is that we are finally strong again in the three junior grades again in 2023 so hopefully that will mean that merkins like Jock Brazel and his crew will populate the Cup squad soon and we can look forward to new attitudes and results.

</rant>

wasn’t lacing up shit champ. The bloke was a choker of a player and now a shit coach. Reserve grade looks aimless and without a plan.

IFR33K

Coach
Bellamy's team conceded 40 in an NRL grand final. Does it mean he can't get them up for big games? Does it mean he can't coach? Sometimes things go wrong on the day. You can't help bad luck.

Yeah just a shame like gronk said we’ve been disgraceful for 3 weeks. Maybe next week is our week.

IFR33K

Coach
I’m not dumb enough to claim that I know the answers. However the squad seem out of their depth. Not good enough. They need a kick up the arse a few sackings and maybe pizza at Hineys. Defense is attitude and they are all capable. Man up FFS.

Well you’re smart enough to discredit what hiney is saying about Cayless. If the squad is “out of their depth” as you’ve said, who has assembled the squad? The club? So you’re claiming the club has got it wrong with the players in reserves, how isn’t it possible they got it wrong with coach Cayless???? Just because he’s been an assistant at a couple clubs, does that automatically mean he’s the right man at parra? Why would he leave a job at roosters to go to the tigers?

Latest posts