What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wait, so Cayless was the reason why the Roosters were disappointing?

Maguire signs Cayless. Maguire gets the punt and so does his assistants.

Yeah you’re the balanced one. No agenda here. Credit where credit is due.

View attachment 73133
Honestly you are deadset embarrassing yourself, besides you, Pou and Cayless who else thought bringing him back was a good idea?? I notice you only attack a few of us even though the forum consensus is WTF did we bring him back for??

Playing the victim and then a meme or a GIF. Classic Gronk.

TheRam

Coach
What did I say that was from a high horse you flip ? The squad is a rabble. Did you read that bit ?

Is your nose out of joint that I didn’t join you in your decades old hatred of Cayless ? No agenda by you. Do I need to post little reminders of how you hated him in 09 10 and how you immediately dismissed him as a coach when he was appointed in 22 ? But let’s focus on me, because you’re the balanced one here….

He'll never be a coaches arsehole mate. Anyone who has listened to him or watched him over the years can see that other then the apologists. The highest he he should ever go to is as an assistant. Why? Because he is a nice guy that players will respond to at that level and obviously he knows the game and in particular forwards play.

But to be the big Kahuna at NRL or even NSW Cup level, he hasn't got the temperament people savvy to deal with the myriad of personalities, or I would argue Gravitas to influence these kids when they are out of sorts and need their attitude adjusted. We all saw how he may have been our longest serving captain, but hardly an inspiring leader. I'm not trying to diminish his ability as a player, he was a great player at his best, but leader, I would say average.

I feel that the only reason he was made captain at such a young age by Brian Smith is because he was a great soldier and seriously focused about his RL, but that is all he was a soldier that should have never risen above sergeant. But Smith being smith as we know likes followers that don't question and can just execute his game plans without grief which is what players like Cayless and Hindmarsh were/are. Smith should have chosen any of the Canterbury four who where way more experienced and qualified for the job, but he chose the soldier and as we know slowly allowed the brains trust players including the Dogs 4 to walk our of the club.

Cayless is a great freakin soldier that is why great coaches love him, but captain of the ship or General of the army? No freakin way.

hindy111

Post Whore
He'll never be a coaches arsehole mate. Anyone who has listened to him or watched him over the years can see that other then the apologists. The highest he he should ever go to is as an assistant. Why? Because he is a nice guy that players will respond to at that level and obviously he knows the game and in particular forwards play.

But to be the big Kahuna at NRL or even NSW Cup level, he hasn't got the temperament people savvy to deal with the myriad of personalities, or I would argue Gravitas to influence these kids when they are out of sorts and need their attitude adjusted. We all saw how he may have been our longest serving captain, but hardly an inspiring leader. I'm not trying to diminish his ability as a player, he was a great player at his best, but leader, I would say average.

I feel that the only reason he was made captain at such a young age by Brian Smith is because he was a great soldier and seriously focused about his RL, but that is all he was a soldier that should have never risen above sergeant. But Smith being smith as we know likes followers that don't question and can just execute his game plans without grief which is what players like Cayless and Hindmarsh were/are. Smith should have chosen any of the Canterbury four who where way more experienced and qualified for the job, but he chose the soldier and as we know slowly allowed the brains trust players including the Dogs 4 to walk our of the club.

Cayless is a great freakin soldier that is why great coaches love him, but captain of the ship or General of the army? No freakin way.

I actually think Cayless was the last real captain our clubs had. A great captain. Rubbish coach but. I've watched the structures in NSW CUP and angles. There is no angles. No structure.

And don't forget he has the best halfback in NSW CUP running the show.

Gronk

Staff member
Honestly you are deadset embarrassing yourself, besides you, Pou and Cayless who else thought bringing him back was a good idea?? I notice you only attack a few of us even though the forum consensus is WTF did we bring him back for??

Playing the victim and then a meme or a GIF. Classic Gronk.
You’re not coming up with any plausible reasons why he is a bad coach, other than you don’t like him. Then when you’re out of ideas you play the mean girls card and go after me.

Do better. Seriously, what metrics are you using to say that Cayless should be getting this bits and pieces team performing better ? I’m a reasonable person and if you put spell it out for me, you might win me over. Do you have any substance to your arguments ever ?

JokerEel

Coach
Wait, so Cayless was the reason why the Roosters were disappointing?

Maguire signs Cayless. Maguire gets the punt and so does his assistants.

Yeah you’re the balanced one. No agenda here. Credit where credit is due.

View attachment 73133

He may be an ok assistant but not a coach.

Fitzgibbon was also at the Roosters and has gone onto be a head coach.

hindy111

Post Whore
You’re not coming up with any plausible reasons why he is a bad coach, other than you don’t like him. Then when you’re out of ideas you play the mean girls card and go after me.

Do better. Seriously, what metrics are you using to say that Cayless should be getting this bits and pieces team performing better ? I’m a reasonable person and if you put spell it out for me, you might win me over. Do you have any substance to your arguments ever ?

😴

hineyrulz

Post Whore

His record speaks for itself, just like yours does.

Gronk

Staff member
Last comment on coaches. I think that it’s been shown time and time again that coaches need good squads to achieve success.

Seibold at Souths is a good coach.
Seibold at Broncos is a bad coach
Seibold at Manly is a good coach
Maguire at Souths at Souths is a good coach
Maguire at Tigers is a bad coach.

You can go on and on with examples

Even Wayne Bennett showed that you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Merkins are so quick to look at the scoreboard and use that at a determining factor about the coaches ability. Yes, the buck stops with him, but (especially with NSW Cup) the roster determines results. NSW are semi professional and literally have one training session a week. How merkins know who is the better coach out of Joe O’Callaghan, Nathan Cayless or George Ndaira is horse hockey unless you go to all the matches or watch all the tapes and know all the squads. Excuse me for being a cynic, but Cayless is just ripe low hanging fruit for people looking for a scapegoat.

Happy to be proven wrong.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Then when you’re out of ideas you play the mean girls card and go after me.
And here he is playing the victim, once again you have a sook when someone doesn’t agree with your opinion. You called me a flip and then when I reply in kind it’s all me and poor little Gronky is getting picked on. Another thread derailed by Gronk the mod.

IFR33K

Coach

Does watching a highlights reel, where the team was an actual disgrace, count as plausible?

Gronk

Staff member

You seem to have joined this conversation thinking that I am championing Cayless as being a head coach or even a NRLW head coach. I’m not, so I suggest that you actually read the thread.

We are half a dozen games in and the NSW Cup side and going like a busted arse because the NRL squad were being tested with depth and Cup had injuries. After an embarrassing loss by a traditionally difficult Warriors side in Auckland the knives came out for the coach. Not our shit depth, poor recruiting. Not the numskull stupid way we failed to maintain good junior squads during covid which lead to us scrambling to rebuild in 2022. Nah this weekend it’s all about the coach. Cos all the experts can see after 7 rounds that he’s the reason and if we had a better one, results woukd be significantly better.

hindy111

Post Whore
Last comment on coaches. I think that it’s been shown time and time again that coaches need good squads to achieve success.

Seibold at Souths is a good coach.
Seibold at Broncos is a bad coach
Seibold at Manly is a good coach
Maguire at Souths at Souths is a good coach
Maguire at Tigers is a bad coach.

You can go on and on with examples

Even Wayne Bennett showed that you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Merkins are so quick to look at the scoreboard and use that at a determining factor about the coaches ability. Yes, the buck stops with him, but (especially with NSW Cup) the roster determines results. NSW are semi professional and literally have one training session a week. How merkins know who is the better coach out of Joe O’Callaghan, Nathan Cayless or George Ndaira is horse hockey unless you go to all the matches or watch all the tapes and know all the squads. Excuse me for being a cynic, but Cayless is just ripe low hanging fruit for people looking for a scapegoat.

Happy to be proven wrong.

😴

TheRam

Coach
You seem to have joined this conversation thinking that I am championing Cayless as being a head coach or even a NRLW head coach. I’m not, so I suggest that you actually read the thread.

We are half a dozen games in and the NSW Cup side and going like a busted arse because the NRL squad were being tested with depth and Cup had injuries. After an embarrassing loss by a traditionally difficult Warriors side in Auckland the knives came out for the coach. Not our shit depth, poor recruiting. Not the numskull stupid way we failed to maintain good junior squads during covid which lead to us scrambling to rebuild in 2022. Nah this weekend it’s all about the coach. Cos all the experts can see after 7 rounds that he’s the reason and if we had a better one, results woukd be significantly better.

I don't like it when you actually make some sense. Now F THE FU*K OFF!

He is still a sh*t coach but!

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
So the years they were disappointing and then he was dumped to the Tigers lol. Then he was sacked from the Tigers. After being dumped already from here. But yeah keep defending you drongo. “ BaLAnCeD”
You could say Cayless "Parralysed" the Roosters.

They went from B2B premiers to week 2 finalists both seasons during his tenure.