What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kumuls hopefuls line up

Kumul

Juniors

PNG Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) has named its two squads for its inaugural Telikom PNG Origin series for next Sunday.
PNGRFL chief executive officer Jeff Wade yesterday announced the two squads will take part in PNG’s version of State of Origin between PNG Residents (Reds) and the PNG International (Yellow) on Oct 20 at Lloyd Robson Oval in Port Moresby.
The Origin clash is to select the best players for the Kumuls tour of France and Wales this year and also a train-on squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup in Australia.
Wade said certainly there will be no love lost when these two team meet.
The PNG Residents (Reds): Menzie Yere (Gurias), Michael Mark (Warriors), Gimapau Kemelo (Raiders), Francis Ray (Eagles), Eki Ene (Bombers), Jersey Joe (Bulldogs), Benjamin John (Bulldogs), Nigel Hukula (Lahanis), Charlie Wabo (Muruks), Rodney Pora (Gurias), George Moni (Muruks), Joseph Omae (Muruks), Johnson Kuike (Bulldogs), Nicko Slain (Lahanis), Porian Bal (Warriors), Nixon Kolo (Raiders), Larson Marabe (Bulldogs), Dustin Mockley (Bombers). Coach Michcel Marum
And the PNG International (Yellows) is as follows Daniel Tanswell(Bris), Tu Maori (Cronulla), Steve Franciscuss(Bris), George Keppa (Bris), David Moore (Bris), John Wilshire (Eng), Keith Peters (Penrith), Makali Aizu (Eng), Paul Aiton (Penrith), Trevor Exton (Bris), Jamie Nightingale (Penrith), Alex McFarlene (Cairns) Rod Griffin (West Tigers), Merv Ofinagan (Bris), Kevin Prior (Sydney) Tony Butterfield (Bris), Stanley Gene (Eng). Coach Brendan Lam.
Wade said Telikom PNG will be the major sponsors of the event and have all the naming rights so the clash would be named as Telikom "PNG Origin" event.
Following the match, PNG selectors will name a side for the France and Wales tour
National coach Adrian Lam said players for both teams will go into camp on Oct 15 and stay with their respective teams till the game is played on October 20. The squad will be named after the game where media will have chance to ask question on the selection of players before the PNG Kumuls team move into camp at the Weigh Inn before their departure on Monday afternoon.
Lam said it was and has been his dream for a long time to create concept of this standard where all the PNG players in the world come together
“As a coach you want the best players playing for your Country so this game provides an avenue for this to happen and gives all players in PNG and around the World playing at the top of their game, an opportunity to play the best of the rest and the chance of representing their Country and the "PNG Kumuls"” he said.
Lame said it is from there PNGRFL and selectors will monitor individual players and performances easier.
The tickets for this match will be out at all Telikom outlets in Port Moresby. Only Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning will tickets be on sale so don’t miss out. The outer stands are going for K20 while the grand stand is K100. PNGRFL need money as it will host the overseas and the local players in Port Moresby. There are only 10,000 tickets and once they are sold, that is it.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Top stuff. I'd love to be able to watch the game. Some of the hits would be Earth-shattering.

nadera78

Juniors
roopy said:
WTF.
I wonder if this guys family just named him after their favourite NRL player or something?

Nah, it's actually Tom Butterfield, plays for Redcliffe Colts IIRC.

Can't wait to find out how this goes. Should be awesome.

Just wondering though, what's happened to some of the overseas-based guys? I had assumed that the likes of Wayne Bond (Penrith), Michael Bond (Roosters), Billy Sangayaro, James Sangayaro and Andrew Ricketts would have been dead certs for this match and the tour too. Interesting.

ali

Bench
Wow, tickets are certainly going for a sum. I'm not sure what the latest exchange rate is, but that's something $15 for the outer and $37 for the grand stand. Big money for a third world resident to have to shell out to watch a match. I'll be interested to see if it sells out.

Otherwise though, great concept. And I'm glad the money is finally around in PNG for these type of events to go ahead.

Kumul

Juniors
ali said:
Wow, tickets are certainly going for a sum. I'm not sure what the latest exchange rate is, but that's something $15 for the outer and $37 for the grand stand. Big money for a third world resident to have to shell out to watch a match. I'll be interested to see if it sells out.

Otherwise though, great concept. And I'm glad the money is finally around in PNG for these type of events to go ahead.

Yeah it is a bit expensive (PNG standard) but believe me it will sell out ;)

joshreading

Staff member
Surely there is some way to extend the oval even if it is to make some much bigger hills - a stadium (mainly hill based) holding 30 000 would be much better in the long run.

ali

Bench
I've always thought they should build a typical third world giant football stadium. All terrace with a massive capacity. The majority of poorish countries have them. There was talk at one stage of FIFA kicking in money for a stadium, but I haven't heard anything for a while.

otag

Juniors
nadera78 said:
Nah, it's actually Tom Butterfield, plays for Redcliffe Colts IIRC.

Can't wait to find out how this goes. Should be awesome.

Just wondering though, what's happened to some of the overseas-based guys? I had assumed that the likes of Wayne Bond (Penrith), Michael Bond (Roosters), Billy Sangayaro, James Sangayaro and Andrew Ricketts would have been dead certs for this match and the tour too. Interesting.

wayne bond has either been out with a long term injury or simply not up to standard this year, cos he hasnt played premier league for penrith.

nadera78

Juniors
otag said:
wayne bond has either been out with a long term injury or simply not up to standard this year, cos he hasnt played premier league for penrith.

Any idea about Michael Bond? He was heavily tipped for the top, but seems to have floated around a few clubs - Broncos, Melbourne, Roosters - but never really got anywhere.

Latest posts