What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Capewell

Scott

Bench
Interesting. An upgrade on Jackson Ford in more than one way on our left edge.

Grizzman

Juniors
That I could see. Niukore can have great impact but I'm not sure his involvement levels mean we get as much as we could from him. At prop, he could definitely do that and he has a year to learn from one of the best.

JJ

Immortal
Quality back rower, obviously good to sign high quality players…. But we’re a long way from matching the middles of the best teams, and about to lose the one reason we can for periods in games…

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Hot (i.e. probably wrong) take but I've never thought much of Capewell. Seems like a likeable underdog/underachiever with very limited athletic ability.

Could be the sort of guy who earns a lot of respect as a hard worker (Michael Luck type) or could be a guy whose limited ability becomes apparent when out of his comfort zone (Todd Lowrie, Dane Nielsen). I guess the Lowrie/Nielsen types might be less of a thing now if we have become a Melbourne/Penrith type club which maximises the attributes of its players.

Broncs have reportedly agreed to an early release:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2023-kurt-capewell-new-zealand-warriors-meeting-brisbane-broncos-player-movement/160d833f-7814-4bde-9230-447de77ebe62

I really rate him and I think he can add a lot to that left edge. Ford's been a great pick up but Capewell is a bigger body who's been in some good systems, obviously played in some big games, and I'd back Webster to make sure he doesnt regress like other signings.

Dunno what they'll pay him, and I suspect it'll be slightly overs as usual when bringing people over, but if its around 650-700, I think that'd be pretty good value.

In terms of lineups, I hope it means Capewell and Niukore starting on the left and right edges respectively. With Harris linking in the middle that'd be a really really well balanced backrow IMO.

TheDMC

Bench
Hot (i.e. probably wrong) take but I've never thought much of Capewell. Seems like a likeable underdog/underachiever with very limited athletic ability.

Could be the sort of guy who earns a lot of respect as a hard worker (Michael Luck type) or could be a guy whose limited ability becomes apparent when out of his comfort zone (Todd Lowrie, Dane Nielsen). I guess the Lowrie/Nielsen types might be less of a thing now if we have become a Melbourne/Penrith type club which maximises the attributes of its players.
Dunno man, he seems a hundred times more dynamic than that ultimate (and highly valuable) workhorse Michael Luck. Much more athletic/attacking weapon.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Dunno man, he seems a hundred times more dynamic than that ultimate (and highly valuable) workhorse Michael Luck. Much more athletic/attacking weapon.

yeah he's not really comparable to Luck at all in fairness as he's an edge forward - more like Jackson Ford I guess. I know he's a hole-runner who can fill in at centre, he's just always seemed pretty ponderous and ungainly to me (partly relative to the role he plays where you expect a guy to have athleticism).

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
yeah he's not really comparable to Luck at all in fairness as he's an edge forward - more like Jackson Ford I guess. I know he's a hole-runner who can fill in at centre, he's just always seemed pretty ponderous and ungainly to me (partly relative to the role he plays where you expect a guy to have athleticism).
I’m probably in your camp, feels a lot like the Ryan Hoffman sort of signing, on paper looks good but in reality outside a top system he didn’t really work out as was expected