What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lachlan Maranta joins the Dragons in 2019

True_Believer

Juniors
Do you know why Dragons did not offer Herbert a contract and why he had liitle to consider apart from going home?...1 he really wanted to and no other offers

Norman and promotion resigning of young future stars V Mann and 2 players never played 1st grade.
Point is...we are in no worse position either than last year and the poster was highlighting Maranta on minimal money being added to our Top 30 and letting those 3 go.

We still have 1 position to fill yet...dont forget.. by June 30. And it is supposed to be an outside back of quality, so they say. We will see.

But the good young stars in our club highlighted are the ones we need to sign 1st and leave salary cap room for
TSims & Dufty done, Robson, Lawrie, maybe Kerr, Lomax extended past 2020, Marsters...just off the top of my head.

Beacuse they all dont develop into what you expect and dont you think there was a reason we did not keep Herbert?..especially the club have been vocal they still looking for quality outside backs. 1 more to sign this year!
What happened to the "he actually did want to go home like Ahmau"..do you stop to consider that too or it is all recruitment's fault for not seeing what you perceive is right.
Where were all the offers from other NRL clubs?
I watched a lot of ISP last year and I agree with the club for not making him high priority over some others
The younger stars we have coming through + his training ethic was not best. He had great attacking skills but defence and error rate high
Lafai and Aitken signing in 17 had nothing to do with Herberts value to our club.
Herbert himself proved his value.

I sometimes wonder if people actually do research before bagging the club.

To date, Herbert has not been named in the Warriors top 30.

The warriors have 4 centres on their books that regularly see first grade - this is prior to signing Herbert. 2 of those centres come off contract at the end of this year and the other 2 come off contract at the end of 2020 (incidentally the same time Aitken and Lafai come off contract).

Dragons have 3 centres including Lomax who has seen little game time. If he was looking for opportunity he would have been better of staying.

I don't see the Warriors signing him for anything more than depth. He may see an occasional first grade game from 2020 onwards, but there is nothing to indicate that they have bought him as a long term NRL player.

BLM01

First Grade
Well I suppose that everyone has their own point of view and so who's to know the right move without knowing all the facts. It just seems to me that over the past few years we have seen some good players move on, some blocked by average players and some good players not signed because of cap restrictions.

Decisions made by SGI Club officials have a great influence on the Club's ability to field the best possible squad each season.
You cant keep em all Possm...but apart from Bird & Morris (monetary reasons) who have we let go that come back to bite us that we have developed.
Whilst I think some of our fringe / depth signings could be better I think on balance we have let the right players go over the past 3 years.

BLM01

First Grade
I sometimes wonder if people actually do research before bagging the club.

To date, Herbert has not been named in the Warriors top 30.

The warriors have 4 centres on their books that regularly see first grade - this is prior to signing Herbert. 2 of those centres come off contract at the end of this year and the other 2 come off contract at the end of 2020 (incidentally the same time Aitken and Lafai come off contract).

Dragons have 3 centres including Lomax who has seen little game time. If he was looking for opportunity he would have been better of staying.

I don't see the Warriors signing him for anything more than depth. He may see an occasional first grade game from 2020 onwards, but there is nothing to indicate that they have bought him as a long term NRL player.
TB..I think he has been named in the Top 30 as in 1st trial this weekend but I agree on what i saw with my own eyes he is not yet ready for 1st grade WIWO and we have bigger fish to fry at home.
Yes he was a good attacker at ISP level....but....time will tell I suppose

Smurf

Juniors
This is not so good and disappointing news after the Tariq news. I dont know why but just the name and how he was bog average at the Broncos. We better buy another speedy outside back Millward. Go get em Possm!

You were right about that
He tries hard but certainly not first grade standard

No idea why we signed him
No idea why he played against Manly

possm

Coach
I know why Millward recruited Maranta and it has nothing to do with talent or salary cap. Millward recruited him because he was an easy signing and Millward loves easy signings.

I also know why Mary selected Maranta for the game against Manly. Mary selected Maranta because he has not got a clue. The most clueless coach in the history of the Saints.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I know why Millward recruited Maranta and it has nothing to do with talent or salary cap. Millward recruited him because he was an easy signing and Millward loves easy signings.

I also know why Mary selected Maranta for the game against Manly. Mary selected Maranta because he has not got a clue. The most clueless coach in the history of the Saints.

I don't reckon Mary is the most clueless coach in the history of Saints. I have him at 3rd, ahead of Steve Price and Craig Young.

I know that's not saying much.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Thats actually not correct Possm.
If you go back and watch the video of his signing Millward was bemused at it.

This signing came straight from McGregor, hence why he played yesterday.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Who is responsible for these signing decisions of Maranta, Ravalawa, Pearson etc and letting junior talent like Herbert and Garrick go?
Is it Mary, Millward or both of them.
The club is an absolute rabble at the moment. These decsions have the stench of Mary all over them.
He thinks he's Bellamy and going to find the next best thing but all he comes up with is duds. From the way i see it, it's only Millward who has brought in the decent players.

hewi

Bench
There have been 6 coaches of the St. George Illawarra Dragons since the joint venture club's formation in 1999.

Contents

List of CoachesEdit

As of the 2017 NRL season

No. Name Seasons Games Wins Draws Losses Winning Percentage Premiers Runners-up Minor premiers
1 David Waite 1999−2000 48 27 0 21 56.3% – 1999
2 Andrew Farrar 2000–2002 60 26 5 29 43.3% – – −
3 Nathan Brown 2003–2008 151 80 0 71 53% – – −
4 Wayne Bennett 2009–2011 80 52 1 27 65% 20102009, 2010
5 Steve Price 2012−2014 60 23 0 37 38.3% – – −
6 Paul McGregor 2014−present 88 42 0 46 47.7% – – −

What jumps out here? Easy? The two outsiders were great , Brownie, not bad but appointed to young, the others old boys and duds.

New Dragon

Juniors
You cant keep em all Possm...but apart from Bird & Morris (monetary reasons) who have we let go that come back to bite us that we have developed.
Whilst I think some of our fringe / depth signings could be better I think on balance we have let the right players go over the past 3 years.
I think the point is the fact we let good juniors go but replaced them with players who are no better or even worse and end up with no advantage in the same position. It’s not whether we can keep them all or not, it’s about providing a pathway for juniors that encourages good players to keep improving which is Essential for building an effective roster when you don’t have strong TPA’s like us to simply poach and recruit externally. Herbert and Garrick for Maranta, Ravalava etc only makes sense to me if the player wanted to move but the club couldn’t keep them which is not what happened here.

BLM01

First Grade
I think the point is the fact we let good juniors go but replaced them with players who are no better or even worse and end up with no advantage in the same position. It’s not whether we can keep them all or not, it’s about providing a pathway for juniors that encourages good players to keep improving which is Essential for building an effective roster when you don’t have strong TPA’s like us to simply poach and recruit externally. Herbert and Garrick for Maranta, Ravalava etc only makes sense to me if the player wanted to move but the club couldn’t keep them which is not what happened here.
You forget about money and TPA's offered by other clubs and our own slary cap position with 2 x close to $1 million players. As I said before 8 of our best squad exceeed more than half of 19's cap of 9.6 mill. Makes it difficult to fit 22 into 4 million odd as reported we have little TPA assistance

New Dragon

Juniors
You forget about money and TPA's offered by other clubs and our own slary cap position with 2 x close to $1 million players. As I said before 8 of our best squad exceeed more than half of 19's cap of 9.6 mill. Makes it difficult to fit 22 into 4 million odd as reported we have little TPA assistance
Garrick’s management went shopping because the dragons didn’t offer him an extension hence my comment of keeping him versus letting him go for the ones we recruited. It certainly wouldn’t have been about big money and the cap! It was about the dragons not thinking he was worth keeping which when you look at his form was probably right. The interesting thing is that hes thriving somewhere else and they saw the potential and we didnt. He’s got a long way to go to prove his overall value but he is putting consistent first grade performances together in a position we are struggling in.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Garrick’s management went shopping because the dragons didn’t offer him an extension hence my comment of keeping him versus letting him go for the ones we recruited. It certainly wouldn’t have been about big money and the cap! It was about the dragons not thinking he was worth keeping which when you look at his form was probably right. The interesting thing is that hes thriving somewhere else and they saw the potential and we didnt. He’s got a long way to go to prove his overall value but he is putting consistent first grade performances together in a position we are struggling in.

Garrick didn't put a foot wrong yesterday and his goal kicking was immaculate.

Having said that, I'm still of the view that this was one of the few retention decisions SGI got right. He is safe but lacks impact. For mine, the really good backline work was being done inside of him. I can't think of one St George backline player who can claim to have bettered his Manly opponent.

On the other hand , I'm on the record as labelling Maranta as one of the worst recruits SGI has made. Unwanted by the Broncos, labelled by Greg Martin of the Reds as the worst recruit Queensland Rugby has made in 20 years, what on earth did Millward see in him?

Sure enough yesterday, he was smashed when he ran in attack and was swatted off by Suli when defending. Manly is a big physical team and Pereira should have been given a run in the centres. It's called thinking outside the square Mary.

Watching the Hong Kong street demos, I'm thinking it might take something like that and a ritual burning of memberships to get the Board to sack this imbecile.

Latest posts