What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ladder for 06

The Tank

Bench
pantherz9103 said:
Nice to see you've given up on them a year before 2006 season ends Tank :|

Depends what you mean by "given up". I don't believe for a second we'll even get close to the finals next season with star signings such as Mark O'Halloran.

But I will still turn up to games, watch games on telly, and support them 100% (as I have done this year). I'm just being realistic - I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

perverse

Referee
Eelectrica said:
1. Newcastle
2. Tigers
3. Souths
4. Manly
5. Parra
6. Cowboys
7. Dragons
8. Bulldogs
9. Penrith
10. Roosters
11. Broncos
12. Storm
13. Sharks
14. Warriors
15. Raiders.

rofl i couldnt get past this one. if souths get 3rd next year i'll staple my ballsack to my gooch.

p.s \m/ werd @ octavarium.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Big Pete said:
No Excuse? Except for the fact they are one of the more consistent clubs in the NRL and they always have good youngsters coming through the ranks. Arn't you the Panthers fan who usually announces how he hates his team?
:clap: :clap: Well said. I'm sure every team is entitled to a season they would rather forget at some stage or another. Ours just happened to be this year.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Ohh well might as well try to predict the future with some mindless selections that will come back to bite us all on the backside lol:

1. Parramatta (Continue on from where they left off this year but still searching for that GF win)
2. Dragons (Self explanitory *cough*)
3. Wests Tigers (4/5 kiwi reps, 2 SOO players will be the key for this team)
4. Newcastle (Joey plays 24 games, they win 16 of them)

(Top 4 to finish on or around 36 points, for and against to play major factor)

5. Cowboys
6. Brisbane
7. Bulldogs
8. Souths

(Bottom 4 to finish on or around 28 - 32 points)

9. Penrith (Miss out by 1 point due to draw with Melbourne in Last Round)

10. Raiders
11. Roosters
12. Sea Eagles
13. Warriors
14. Sharks
15. Storm (No Orford, no Kearns)

shadow grinder

First Grade
Big Mick © said:
well can you justify how you will not be?

Cronk is not that experienced.

Scott hill will get injured and who will be your five-eight? Matt Geyer?

Your backs are good...but your halves arn't that good...your forwards have lost their leader and will be the most ill-disciplined in the comp. I can't fatham how you can think they would be in the top half for instance.

big mick ...tell me how much experince tim smith had before this year. And also tell me how much experince john sutton had before 2005. Both of these players have played great footy this year. Smith has been one of the best halfbacks this year.

Now im not comparing smith and cronk but im comparing their experince. Cronk could come out next year and be a really good player. He has a really good kicking game and his passing game is good but could be improved. And hill has only been injured once this year with an ankle injury....sh*t happens. other then that his shoulders (which have caused most of his injury troubles through out his career) have held up good. Hill has been in great form still.

we have added some strength and experince to the back row with crocker. Our backline as you said is pretty damn good. Our forward pack is the place that we lack...but ben cross (altho a bit ill-disciplined) is a good player and has size which we have missed this year. Aswell has brett white who has really played good this year, kaufusi is starting to find form and we have dennis scott and some other young guys with heaps of potential. So we might not finish top 3 but we will be in the 8 i reckon and wont go as bad as you think.

Big Mick

Referee
shadow grinder said:
big mick ...tell me how much experince tim smith had before this year. And also tell me how much experince john sutton had before 2005. Both of these players have played great footy this year. Smith has been one of the best halfbacks this year.

Now im not comparing smith and cronk but im comparing their experince. Cronk could come out next year and be a really good player. He has a really good kicking game and his passing game is good but could be improved. And hill has only been injured once this year with an ankle injury....sh*t happens. other then that his shoulders (which have caused most of his injury troubles through out his career) have held up good. Hill has been in great form still.

we have added some strength and experince to the back row with crocker. Our backline as you said is pretty damn good. Our forward pack is the place that we lack...but ben cross (altho a bit ill-disciplined) is a good player and has size which we have missed this year. Aswell has brett white who has really played good this year, kaufusi is starting to find form and we have dennis scott and some other young guys with heaps of potential. So we might not finish top 3 but we will be in the 8 i reckon and wont go as bad as you think.

I've seen Cronk play...I think he'll need another year. I don't think he can stand up by himself. You compare the experience with Smith. Thats fair enough. But Tim Smith was consistantly ripping it up in Premier league every week without a doubt, and everyone knew the damage he could do if he got a shot. Also...people underestimate the value of John Morris, PJ Marsh and Mark Riddell in his development.

Parramatta's forwards also let him have a lot of time and room to move with the ball..something Cronk will not have.

I am not doubting your forwards...they have ability...i'm doubting their discipline. With Crossman, Cross, Crocker and Kidwell in your team....that is a very ill-disciplined forward pack. If Bellamy can tame them then they could very well go alright. I am not doubting that. But this game is all about possession and those 4 guys have the tendancy to give away stupid penalties at stupid times.

I hope Melbourne go well don't get me wrong. I like them...but I just don't see you guys in the 8 unless those discipline problems are fixed

shadow grinder

First Grade
Big Mick © said:
I've seen Cronk play...I think he'll need another year. I don't think he can stand up by himself. You compare the experience with Smith. Thats fair enough. But Tim Smith was consistantly ripping it up in Premier league every week without a doubt, and everyone knew the damage he could do if he got a shot. Also...people underestimate the value of John Morris, PJ Marsh and Mark Riddell in his development.

Parramatta's forwards also let him have a lot of time and room to move with the ball..something Cronk will not have.

I am not doubting your forwards...they have ability...i'm doubting their discipline. With Crossman, Cross, Crocker and Kidwell in your team....that is a very ill-disciplined forward pack. If Bellamy can tame them then they could very well go alright. I am not doubting that. But this game is all about possession and those 4 guys have the tendancy to give away stupid penalties at stupid times.

I hope Melbourne go well don't get me wrong. I like them...but I just don't see you guys in the 8 unless those discipline problems are fixed

fully agree on the discipline area. But kidwell has started to clean his act up. He sometimes gives away silly penalties but not as bad as before. As you said , i hope bellamy can tame them and stop them from stupid niggly things.

and smith ripped it up in the PL but cronk has been ripping it up in QLD cup...going quite good up there. Watching some QLD cup games he really has a good passing game, runs to the line then he drops in a short pass or a cut out and ild go as far as saying his kicking is more accurate and better then orfords. Also this year has been good for cronk he has learnt off of orford and hill and trains at halfback every now and then so this year has been some good experince for him....tim smith hadnt had any 1st grade experince before 2005 did he? so cronk atleast has that little bit more experince. And there is still the pre-season to go ..i think he will gain alot from the pre-season and this year so far.

i dont think our forwards have really been THAT bad this year. They may be smaller then most but white is pretty big and will be much better next year now that he has ahd a full year in 1st grade. Ben cross is a big bloke who can hit as hard as any other big bloke in the comp. Then we have kaufusi who hasnt been the best over the years but is certainly finding his feet now. And then dennis scott who has a fair bit of experince. Not the best pack i msut admit...but they have done the job this year, kearns will be a big loss. Mainly for his leadership but his work rate is great aswell...im sure others will step up when he is gone (well atleast i hope they step up).

Im confident the guys will step up and do a good job...but yes cronk will need a bit of time to fully settle in but he will do the job.

Pantherjim.

Referee
The Tank said:
Depends what you mean by "given up". I don't believe for a second we'll even get close to the finals next season with star signings such as Mark O'Halloran.

Why do you think Mick Leary has gone for players like Mark O'Halloran, Nick Youngquest, Bryan Norrie, Craig Stapleton, etc as well as a few "never heard of em'" Players from Redcliffe? because obviously they have potential that is just waiting to explode. Managers don't make these decisions lightly. I'm sure John Lang has had input on these decisions, and I trust their judgement. There's a reason why we haven't bought any "household names" and it goes way beyond salary cap constraints. I remember the days when we signed fatz and Big Joe - everyone on the forum was saying "Joe Galu-who?" "Paul whatu-whats it?" These are players that have become true champions of the game since. Moreover let's not forget, Rhys Wesser being the champion player that he is now was terrible prior to 2002!

Pantherjim.

LESStar58

Referee
My ladder prediction for 06...

broncos
Eels
Tigers
Manly
Knights
Dragons
Cowboys
Dogies
Sharks
Storm (hate to admit it but we won't make the 8 next year)
Penrith
Roosters
Warriors
Raiders
Souths

LESStar58

Referee
shadow grinder said:
fully agree on the discipline area. But kidwell has started to clean his act up. He sometimes gives away silly penalties but not as bad as before. As you said , i hope bellamy can tame them and stop them from stupid niggly things.

and smith ripped it up in the PL but cronk has been ripping it up in QLD cup...going quite good up there. Watching some QLD cup games he really has a good passing game, runs to the line then he drops in a short pass or a cut out and ild go as far as saying his kicking is more accurate and better then orfords. Also this year has been good for cronk he has learnt off of orford and hill and trains at halfback every now and then so this year has been some good experince for him....tim smith hadnt had any 1st grade experince before 2005 did he? so cronk atleast has that little bit more experince. And there is still the pre-season to go ..i think he will gain alot from the pre-season and this year so far.

i dont think our forwards have really been THAT bad this year. They may be smaller then most but white is pretty big and will be much better next year now that he has ahd a full year in 1st grade. Ben cross is a big bloke who can hit as hard as any other big bloke in the comp. Then we have kaufusi who hasnt been the best over the years but is certainly finding his feet now. And then dennis scott who has a fair bit of experince. Not the best pack i msut admit...but they have done the job this year, kearns will be a big loss. Mainly for his leadership but his work rate is great aswell...im sure others will step up when he is gone (well atleast i hope they step up).

Im confident the guys will step up and do a good job...but yes cronk will need a bit of time to fully settle in but he will do the job.

Crocker will give our forwards some mongrel next year...just hope his ill-disclipline doesn't let us down and Bellamy can get a better handle on it than Ricky did!

Beaches Boy

Juniors
Too early but Souths will reclaim their wooden spoon, Parra to miss the 8 after losing the GF this year and A Johns to miss half the season meaning Newcastlew ill finish 9-13th.

Iafeta

Referee
Pantherjim. said:
Why do you think Mick Leary has gone for players like Mark O'Halloran, Nick Youngquest, Bryan Norrie, Craig Stapleton, etc as well as a few "never heard of em'" Players from Redcliffe? because obviously they have potential that is just waiting to explode. Managers don't make these decisions lightly. I'm sure John Lang has had input on these decisions, and I trust their judgement. There's a reason why we haven't bought any "household names" and it goes way beyond salary cap constraints. I remember the days when we signed fatz and Big Joe - everyone on the forum was saying "Joe Galu-who?" "Paul whatu-whats it?" These are players that have become true champions of the game since. Moreover let's not forget, Rhys Wesser being the champion player that he is now was terrible prior to 2002!

Pantherjim.

Joe Gulavao was already a proven player. I just love how you blokes try and claim everything - next thing you'll tell us that he debuted for you blokes. At one stage, he had the #1 jersey at the Warriors and to be honest performed better than one Mathew Ridge. He played 26 games there as a fullback/centre and scored 4 tries. Thats one whole seasons worth of games. So not a case of Joe who at all.

As far as the players signed, they're low budget signings - you can't afford top quality high paid signings these days because you've had to top up your well performed juniors salaries. I'm sure it wasn't a case of Mick Leary looking at who was on the market and saying, "Hmmm, gee I hope Mark O'Hallaran is available, same as Craig Stapleton" - no, it was a case of "Hmmm, I only have THIS much ching ching to play with, lets see if we can get some depth." That said, I think you'll get more than value for money from Youngquest and Norrie, both of whom I think are good players. Youngquest could do anything with a regular run in first grade. If it was a case of having more room under the cap the Panthers I'm sure would much rather have kept Joe Gulavao and Ben Ross.

The Devil

Bench
Hmmm, based on what i've seen this season.. This is what i would see next year

1. Dragons
2. Tigers
3. Eels
4. Cowboys
5. Knights
6. Broncos
7. Bulldogs
8. Panthers
9. Sea Eagles