What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laffranchi charged over sexual assault

Michael Searle: “People need to understand that this happened before the player joined our club, so we are talking about events that occurred after he signed but before he relocated to Queensland.”

Duck for cover....

Pass the Hand grenade......

jamesgould

Juniors
skeepe said:
How does "I'm glad he didn't cop what I did. I don't want anyone else to go through it. We have to stick together as players." constitute blowing up?

You must have missed the bit where he said:

"It was a lot easier to make an example of me rather than a guy like Gower," Tilse said.

"It's easy to sack a nobody and harder to get rid of one of the better players."

Quidgybo

Bench
hybrid_tiger said:
Completely unrelated, but am I the only one who thinks Michael Searle comes across as a complete w@nker?
Regardless of how he comes across, at every turn he has ensured the Titan's are a mile ahead of anything that has gone before them on the Gold Coast. If this franchise finally capitalises on the huge potential for sport in that region then it'll be largely down to him. Personally, I can put up with a complete wanker if it means that potential is delivered to RL instead of a rival code.

Leigh.

simon says

First Grade
Time for another Siro said:
Duck for cover....

Pass the Hand grenade......

I got lambasted for saying the same thing.

Notice how in the second statement the wording is a little different.

"People need to understand that this happened before the player came to us so we are talking about events that occurred after he signed but before he got here so we are still not aware of all the facts.”

And then....

“People need to understand that this happened before the player joined our club, so we are talking about events that occurred after he signed but before he relocated to Queensland.”

I think its fairly obvious he's trying to pass the buck.

[furrycat]

Coach
Passing the buck!?! :lol:

Hes saying that to everyone to defend his decision to nto sack him immediately. He did it at another club so the Titans aren't going to sack him just yet.

Way to read too much into it.

Once Dead

Bench
A friend of mine was telling me it was Anthony, about two or three months ago...the police had him under suspicion for a while it seems. Hope the truth comes out, good or bad.

El Diablo

Post Whore
simon says said:
Time for another Siro said:
Duck for cover....

Pass the Hand grenade......[/quote

I got lambasted for saying the same thing.

Notice how in the second statement the wording is a little different.

"People need to understand that this happened before the player came to us so we are talking about events that occurred after he signed but before he got here so we are still not aware of all the facts.&#8221, post:

And then....

&#8220, member: People need to understand that this happened before the player joined our club, so we are talking about events that occurred after he signed but before he relocated to Queensland.”

I think its fairly obvious he's trying to pass the buck.[/quote"]

are you saying it didn't happen before he went to the Titans??

simon says

First Grade
I just thought it sounded a little suss.....then he changed the wording of it.Even susser.

It really is a pickle as to who is his employer at the time,I can see an argument both ways.

He did play for us,but the season was over and he had signed for a new club.....

Really,it doesnt really matter I guess,I just thought the way he worded it that he was trying to remove his club from the incident.....instead of just backing him up.Thats all.

griffo346

First Grade
WHERE WAS DAWNY FRASIER WHEN THIS HAPPENED :x :x :x

SHE SEEMS TO BE EVERYWHERE WHEN GOWIE IS IN TROUBLE WHERE WAS SHE AT THIS INCIDENT

Raider_69

Post Whore
jamesgould said:
You must have missed the bit where he said:

"It was a lot easier to make an example of me rather than a guy like Gower," Tilse said.

"It's easy to sack a nobody and harder to get rid of one of the better players."

for the record im pretty sure the club had a little word in his ear after that, because since that time, every time some one acts us in the NRL, they look to dane for a quote and since that (i had actually forgotten about this) its been all quiet on the western front.

Quidgybo

Bench
simon says said:
.....instead of just backing him up.Thats all.
But he doesn't have to back him up. There's a big difference between throwing a guy to the wolves and throwing your full support behind him. It won't do the image of the Titans or the game any good to be there front and centre with the guy if he does turn out to be guilty. The bloke hasn't broken his contract with the Titans in any way but there is still no getting around the fact that he has been charged with a very serious crime. So leave him his contract and his income, and let him get on with fighting to clear his name. But for pitys sake get him away from the football club and the game until he's done that. Stand him down from all club duties ASAP. Even from a purely practicle position, the last thing you need is a distracted player and a gaggle of media constantly poking around distracting the rest of the team by asking questions about rape instead of football. Especially in your debut season and especially under a fortnight from your first game. Image is everything at the moment.

Leigh.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
simon says said:
I just thought it sounded a little suss.....then he changed the wording of it.Even susser.

It really is a pickle as to who is his employer at the time,I can see an argument both ways.

He did play for us,but the season was over and he had signed for a new club.....

Really,it doesnt really matter I guess,I just thought the way he worded it that he was trying to remove his club from the incident.....instead of just backing him up.Thats all.

yeah, it sounded suss alright. no doubt searle now knows what went down. they would not make a media statement without first speaking to laffranchi.

he's just using the fact that he was with the tigers then as an excuse for not saying anything (and of course nor would/should the titans say anything).

the point is, it sounded suss.

ps, note they also removed the part "He is equally committed to continuing to play his part in the team’s preparation for Round 1 and the season. He will be given the full support of our organisation in achieving that” ;-)

simon says

First Grade
The_Savage_1 said:
yeah, it sounded suss alright. no doubt searle now knows what went down. they would not make a media statement without first speaking to laffranchi.

he's just using the fact that he was with the tigers then as an excuse for not saying anything (and of course nor would/should the titans say anything).

the point is, it sounded suss.

ps, note they also removed the part "He is equally committed to continuing to play his part in the team’s preparation for Round 1 and the season. He will be given the full support of our organisation in achieving that” ;-)

Really,I didnt notice that.

Suss and a backflip.........nice one.

Coaster

Bench
simon says said:

I dug this up from http://tvnz.co.nz/view/sport_story_skin/826804

Sep 7, 2006
Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce says the 2005 NRL premiers are working with police after the club became embroiled in allegations that a woman was drugged and raped at a Sydney unit.

The Tigers were informed this morning that a 26-year-old woman said she may have been sexually assaulted on Monday morning at a unit in Five Dock, in Sydney's inner-west.
It is believed the unit was the residence of a Tigers player, though this was not confirmed by either the club or police.
Noyce confirmed Tigers players had been at the venue where the alleged incident is said to have occurred but stressed that no specific allegations had been made against any players.

"We have been made aware of an allegation that a woman may have been sexually assaulted early Monday morning at a place where both Wests Tigers players and others were present," Noyce said in statement.
"We are not aware at this stage of any specific allegation against a Wests Tigers player and the club is very keen to work with the police to establish what may or may not have taken place."

Noyce spoke to the entire squad this morning with the Tigers season coming to an end following Sunday's 52-18 win over South Sydney at Leichhardt Oval.
"The players obviously after the game had a drink and I belive early sometime Monday morning was when the allegation is alleged to have taken place," Noyce said.
"I spoke to the players this morning at training just to make them aware that I had heard some rumours, if that's the right word, just to say that the club would work through the process and to make sure they kept in touch with me and came to talk to me if they had any issues."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the incident was "clearly a major concern".
"It's in the hands of the police. Wests Tigers have kept us informed and will tell us more when they know more," he said.

Macquarie Radio presenter Ray Hadley said the allegation involved up to four Wests Tigers players, a fact neither the club nor police would confirm, and that it came during the team's end-of-season "Mad Monday" celebrations.
"The allegation may be that a date rape drug may have been used ... and that's why the suggestion is from the alleged victim that she may have been raped," Hadley said.
"My information is she was known to the players through circumstances which will become obvious later on."

A police spokeswoman said detectives from the Child Protection and Sex Crimes Squad and Burwood Local Area Command were investigating the incident.
"At 10.40am on Monday, a 26-year-old female attended Parramatta police station and alleged that she may have been sexually assaulted at a home unit in Five Dock," she said.