What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laffranchi charged over sexual assault

hrundi99

First Grade
simon says said:
You have a copy of Laffranchi's contract????:lol: :lol:

The NRL runs on that calendar, and so does basically everything that the clubs do.

All processes, budgets, calendars are based on that. Admin contracts are the same.

What's so funny nimrod?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
simon says said:
I think its fairly obvious he's trying to pass the buck.
On the contrary, I think its fairly obvious that you're trying to pass the buck.

[furrycat]

Coach
Me thinks Simon Says is dellusional.

It happened when he was at the tigers. The Titans are making this point clear so they are not criticised for taking action. He did this at another club, not under his time at the Titans. How is that so hard to understand?

Steel Dragon

Bench
i think its incredible how everyone is ready to be judge jury and executioner for laffranchi before he's even had a chance to tell his side of things.

Im certainly not defending his alleged actions - but for f#*ks sake! Give him a chance to plead his case.
I've seen dodgier decisions given benefit of the doubt in this game.

simon says

First Grade
[furrycat] said:
Me thinks Simon Says is dellusional.

It happened when he was at the tigers. The Titans are making this point clear so they are not criticised for taking action. He did this at another club, not under his time at the Titans. How is that so hard to understand?

What action have they taken???None that I have seen......did you mean criticised for not taking action???

And what exactly has he DONE....he hasnt been convicted of anything as far as I can see.

simon says

First Grade
Willow said:
On the contrary, I think its fairly obvious that you're trying to pass the buck.

How am I passing the buck......I like Laffranchi and hope he is cleared.

I just thought it was interesting that instead of coming out and saying the Titans are right behind Laffranchi,that he made a point of saying that this happened prior to his knowledge of it.Laffranchi was signed sealed and delivered, before this happened.

GOLD COAST LAY-BYS LAFFRANCHI
JULY 15 , 2005

The Gold Coast NRL Consortium has signed its fourth player, West Tiger’s Forward Anthony Laffranchi on a 3 year contract starting in 2007. The announcement was made at the Sunnyside Mall Shopping Centre in Anthony’s home town of Murwillumbah in front of a strong local crowd made up of Murwillumbah colts and Mustangs seniors.

Laffranchi said, “It is great to be home for this announcement, you couldn’t pick a better place to do it. I only get home once a year so it’s great to be back."

"It is definitely an honour to be asked to play with the new team on the Gold Coast. To be able to come home to play for the local team is something that I’ve really only dreamt about until now. There is something special about playing in front of a home crowd – it’s so great to be given the chance to do it."

Coach John Cartwright said, “I’ve watched Anthony play over the past 3 or 4 years and had the opportunity to watch him ‘come on’ as a player. He’s definitely been a major part of the reason the Tiger’s are strong this year.”

“From our point of view it is a coupe to have a player of his professionalism and the fact that he comes from Northern Rivers is a real positive for us and the game up there. I see him as good in the front row as he is in the back row with good go-forward.”

Managing Director of the fledgling franchise Michael Searle said,” It is fantastic that we have been able to secure Anthony. He is the first born and bred local signing and to that end we are really proud to be able take him back to his home town to announce that he will be an integral part of our team.”

“Murwillumbah and the Northern Rivers is a key catchment area for rugby league and our team and we will have a strong presence in this area to ensure the sport grows. Today officially heralds the start to our commitment to Northern Rivers that you will be well supported by the local NRL franchise.”

“Like Anthony I’m a former Mount St Pat’s college student and I know from what I see of him that the person and the player is exactly what we are looking for as a role model on and off the field.”

Football Manager Scott Sattler said, “The contracting of Anthony reiterates our position of signing the person before the player in that he is the consummate professional on and off the field. I know from first hand experience that he has a fantastic work ethic and talent that sees him fit the mould perfectly of the type of player we are targeting”

http://www.titans.com.au/pages/page.php?mod=newsroom&page=4

06 Mar 07
Michael Searle: “People need to understand that this happened before the player joined our club, so we are talking about events that occurred after he signed but before he relocated to Queensland.”

Willow

Assistant Moderator
simon says said:
How am I passing the buck......I like Laffranchi and hope he is cleared.

I just thought it was interesting that instead of coming out and saying the Titans are right behind Laffranchi,that he made a point of saying that this happened prior to his knowledge of it.Laffranchi was signed sealed and delivered, before this happened.

Your words:
"He did play for us,but the season was over and he had signed for a new club....."

Its the same thing as you are accusing Searle of.

Or perhaps you're just reading too much into it.

jamesgould

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
for the record im pretty sure the club had a little word in his ear after that, because since that time, every time some one acts us in the NRL, they look to dane for a quote and since that (i had actually forgotten about this) its been all quiet on the western front.

Yes, I was going to say that he has resisted the urge since this article! :thumn

Eddie.

Bench
Like Anthony I’m a former Mount St Pat’s college student and I know from what I see of him that the person and the player is exactly what we are looking for as a role model on and off the field.”

Michael Serle Can't do much more to look like a complete Goose

Other notable Serleisms

We won't roll over and Let Turner Go

Brian Carney will be at the Titans in 2007

:sarcasm:

http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=361962

NRL rocked by Laffranchi sex charge
Less than two weeks out from the season kick-off, the NRL has been rocked by another off-field incident with Gold Coast front rower Anthony Laffranchi charged with sexual assault.

On the same day the NRL was celebrating the announcement of a $90 million naming rights deal with Telstra, the former Wests Tigers forward attended Burwood police station to be interviewed over an alleged sexual assault in Sydney's inner west last September.
He was later charged with one count of sexual assault on a 26-year-old woman.
Laffranchi was granted conditional bail and will face Burwood Local Court on March 27, but will still be allowed to participate in the Titans' first ever premiership match against St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium on March 18.
The alleged incident came at the end of a night of `Mad Monday' celebrations following the Tigers' final premiership game of the 2006 season.
The woman was allegedly attacked after accompanying a group of Tigers players back to unit of Laffranchi's teammate Ryan O'Hara.
"It's obviously a very serious charge and we need to leave it to the police and the courts at this stage," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.
"Where the facts are undisputed it's possible for us to take action now, but on this occasion the player is protesting his innocence and therefore we must leave it to the police and courts to make a decision."
The Titans were standing behind their man, claiming it would not be fair for the club to ban him playing.
"If this process was to take six months and he was found innocent, then it would be highly unfair to put him out of the game for that time," Titans managing director Michael Searle said.
"Once a decision is brought down we will consider appropriate action if he was to be found guilty."
Nonetheless the charge is an unwanted distraction for the Titans ahead of what was supposed to be the biggest day in their short existence.
A sellout crowd of more than 50,000 is expected for their inaugural clash with the Dragons, Searle confident Laffranchi will still be able to focus on the match.
"Clearly the player is devastated by the charge and will defend it strenuously," Searle said.
The incident is the latest in a string of off-field indiscretions involving NRL players over the last few seasons.
The last player to be sacked by an NRL club for off-field misdemeanours was Cronulla hooker Tevita Latu.
The former New Zealand Test player shown the door at the Sharks after punching a woman in the face in May 2006.
In light of events in recent years, the NRL has undertaken a host initiatives and courses with players aimed at improving attitudes towards women.
In 2005 Katie Page was appointed to the NRL executive board, the NRL the first mainstream professional sport in Australia to appoint a female director.