What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lassie thread - Dog acts of 08

Brycey

Juniors
Manu Vatuvei said:
I'm confused

I've watched this tackle over and over and every time I see it as an elbow in the back. I can't see any shoulder involved whatsoever.

I fail to see how it was a legal tackle. It was a deliberate elbow.
Umm so have I, there is no point elbow in there, he lowers the arm in there and gets him with the tricep/shoulder region.

Big Pete

Referee
Twas a cheap shot but it's not like this was the first time it happened, in fact I remember a similar tackle taking place in a Bulldogs game where Maitua made a similar tackle and everyone commended him for it, doube standards?

Mr Saab

Referee
Ruben Wiki did somthing similar in 2003 vs the Roosters at the SFS. Nothing came of that whatsoever. The Rooster was absolutely smashed.

Brycey

Juniors
Big Pete said:
Twas a cheap shot but it's not like this was the first time it happened, in fact I remember a similar tackle taking place in a Bulldogs game where Maitua made a similar tackle and everyone commended him for it, doube standards?
Finally someone else remembers it. I brought this up twice already and noone has said boo, I was beginning to think I imagined it!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Brycey said:
Umm so have I, there is no point elbow in there, he lowers the arm in there and gets him with the tricep/shoulder region.

Led with the forearm imo....not directly with the point of the elbow, but without looking at the rulebook, it seems to me that affecting a tackle by striking with the forearm is illegal.

Danish

Referee
SSFC Hitman said:
My problem was that it was an intentional late hit...very much like when someone targets a kicker late when they are clearly unprotected. And I disagree I seriously think it was intended to put him out of the game...there was no half assed way about it.

How can it be late if the tackle was not complete???

As long as the ref has not called held, Wing is still able to offload the ball. If he had not have been pushing against the tacklers to gain a half a foot of ground he would not have put himself in that position in the first place.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I take back what I just said...don't know why I doubted myself...he pretty clearly hits him with the point of the elbow :?

Danish

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Ruben Wiki did somthing similar in 2003 vs the Roosters at the SFS. Nothing came of that whatsoever. The Rooster was absolutely smashed.

Yeah I remember that!

It was pretty funny to watch actually. I believe the rooster player got a glimpse of what was coming a split second before the hit.

His "eyes lit up" with fear :lol:

lotti

Bench
Manu Vatuvei said:
I'm confused

I've watched this tackle over and over and every time I see it as an elbow in the back. I can't see any shoulder involved whatsoever.

I fail to see how it was a legal tackle. It was a deliberate elbow.
it was a shoulder charge but he did use his elbow, hopefully the MRC will see that and cite Brown for striking. The highlights package on NRL.com show it from a couple of different angles including a close up shot.

Big Pete

Referee
Brycey said:
Finally someone else remembers it. I brought this up twice already and noone has said boo, I was beginning to think I imagined it!

I share the exact same sentiments, I made the exact same post in the Roosters/Rabbits thread in reference to Timmah acting "holier than thou" over the Roosters and heard nothing in reply. Just a normal day really.

My point was, while these tackles are cheap and extremely dangerous is there a way to govern them? I wasn't a fan of it when Maitua made a similar tackle on Thurston and I'm certainly not a fan of it now.

Mr Saab

Referee
lotti said:
it was a shoulder charge but he did use his elbow, hopefully the MRC will see that and cite Brown for striking. The highlights package on NRL.com show it from a couple of different angles including a close up shot.

Oh sh*t you are back again.
Striking? Striking what? A Players back? Yeah, one of your best.

lotti

Bench
coolumsharkie said:
He got hit well... within the rules of the game.

Thats Rugby League.

Get over it.
but it shouldn't be, would you feel the same way if it was a Sharks Star that Brown injured? Brett Stewart was the victim of a Michael Crocker Shoulder charge and I wasn't impressed, told Crocker that the next day and it wasn't just the Manly fan side of me talking.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
In my opinion the definition of a 'cheap shot' would be something akin to 'striking a defenseless man from behind'. That is what Riley Brown did.

How anyone can suggest that it wasn't a cowardly act is beyond me.

But in saying that, it was well within the rules of the game.

lotti

Bench
SSFC Hitman said:
My problem was that it was an intentional late hit...very much like when someone targets a kicker late when they are clearly unprotected. And I disagree I seriously think it was intended to put him out of the game...there was no half assed way about it.
Like what happened to Matt Orford during week 1 of the finals? I believe it was Bunnies player that caused Orford to cough up blood.

It doesn't look to me like any elbow was used. His elbow is being held against his chest, with the point of impact being Brown's shoulder/upper arm. The fact that the arm is bent makes it looks like he is leading with his elbow, but it's not poking in the direction of Wing.

Latest posts