What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last night Wallaby loss shows why Union the inferior game

Johns Magic

Referee
Misty Bee said:
the Awl Blicks would absolutely LOVE to have anyone with the talent of Benji or SBW, the emerging Inu or the elderly Vagana, Wiki or the legendary Jones in their ranks.

Dan Carter sh*ts on Benji and Jones as far as halves go.

Jerry Collins would dominate in league.

Johns Magic

Referee
The Tank said:
Australia (because they're pricks that run and ruin the international game) only play Tests against NZ and GB regularly. Every now and then a Test against France is included.

Since 2000 Australia has played France (04,05) twice and Papua New Guinea (00,01) twice. The last 2 times NZ have played France (04,05) they won 38-22 and 24-20 - seems fairly competitive to me. GB have only played France twice since 01.

So how do you know if they can't be beaten when they hardly ever play. The only time they play developing nations - or even second tier nations - is during World Cups.

NZ didn't send out their strongest side against France.

There's a reason the top nations rarely play these smaller nations, and it's because they know they're not up to it.

buster bunny

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
How would I know? He wouldn't make it in front of Thurston, but he didn't make it in front of Larkham either. If he wasn't a Queenslander I'm confident that he would play Origin.

Which is why he got dropped from the Wallabies :lol:

Dan Carter is everything that the Kiwi's wish they had.

Rogers was dropped more because Union knew he was going to go back to league anyway. He also made some comments about club rugby which everyone knows is true but Union officials dont like to publicise.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Now you are starting to say that Union is better. which is crap.

Unions only have one 'half' - the fly half. The Union'half' is the league dummy half - compare Union's halves to the recent history of blokes like Farah, Smith, Cunningham, Priddis and the man in your avatar.

The fly half handles the ball about a quarter of what a League half or pivot would, and with more space and under less pressure.

I can't remember the last half to play top level footy for both codes. Mitchell Cox maybe?

The Tank

Bench
Johns Magic said:

What were the lineups?

Regardless it was a team of professionals up against a team of locals.

There's a reason the top nations rarely play these smaller nations, and it's because they know they're not up to it.

France have some decent players and Scotland, Ireland, Wales have had a sprinkling of professionals. The Island nations have sh*tloads of talent playing in the NRL and SL.

They're just pricks. And we have a gutless international federation (pretty much run by Oz) which makes it own rules when it suits them best.

Johns Magic

Referee
buster bunny said:
Rogers was dropped more because Union knew he was going to go back to league anyway. He also made some comments about club rugby which everyone knows is true but Union officials dont like to publicise.

Tell me what position Rogers would play in the Wallabies side nowadays.

buster bunny

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
Tell me what position Rogers would play in the Wallabies side nowadays.

The way the wallabies played this world cup I think he could play a number of positions in the side. Actually having a look at the performance of some of the forwards he could probably play there too.

Johns Magic

Referee
Misty Bee said:
Now you are starting to say that Union is better. which is crap.

Where did I say that?

Unions only have one 'half' - the fly half. The Union'half' is the league dummy half - compare Union's halves to the recent history of blokes like Farah, Smith, Cunningham, Priddis and the man in your avatar.

The fly half handles the ball about a quarter of what a League half or pivot would, and with more space and under less pressure.

Trust me mate, I do know a bit about union, I'm aware of the way it works.

The fly-half in union is under a hell of a lot of pressure from the openside breakaway.

Butters

Bench

Hahaha flyhalf under less pressure with more space? You've got no clue, theres no 10m rule in union so that means the flyhalf has to set himself way behind the ruck in order to take some pressure away. Oh and incase you havent noticed everytime the flyhalf shapes to kick theres usually a loose forward sprinting at him to charge the ball down. Now hos is that less pressure?

Johns Magic

Referee
The Tank said:
What were the lineups?

Regardless it was a team of professionals up against a team of locals.

My computer's stuffing up at the moment so I can't see the line-ups, but I do recall that a lot of NZ's best players had been benched/rested.

As you just said, outside the top three nations international league is largely unprofessional.

France have some decent players and Scotland, Ireland, Wales have had a sprinkling of professionals. The Island nations have sh*tloads of talent playing in the NRL and SL.

They're just pricks. And we have a gutless international federation (pretty much run by Oz) which makes it own rules when it suits them best.

To be fair, how many of those players actually grew up there? They mainly grew up in Oz or NZ and have other heritage.

But you're right, the international federation in league is another reason why it's behind union internationally in terms of competitiveness.

The Tank

Bench
Johns Magic said:
As you just said, outside the top three nations international league is largely unprofessional.

The French have a few professionals now and may be joining an expanded Tri Nations. And if the Celtic Crusaders are a success that will lead to a couple of pro Welsh players.

To be fair, how many of those players actually grew up there? They mainly grew up in Oz or NZ and have other heritage.

True.

But you're right, the international federation in league is another reason why it's behind union internationally in terms of competitiveness.

Our international federation is horrible. It's not that hard to be more competitive. But I think we all agree that both rugby codes aren't global sports and on a global scale are tiny.

Johns Magic

Referee
The Tank said:
The French have a few professionals now and may be joining an expanded Tri Nations. And if the Celtic Crusaders are a success that will lead to a couple of pro Welsh players.

Hopefully it is.

Our international federation is horrible. It's not that hard to be more competitive. But I think we all agree that both rugby codes aren't global sports and on a global scale are tiny.

There's no denying that, but at the same time the global union scene is far more advanced than the global league scene.

RalthFilthy

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
Where did I say that?

FFS, you may not have said it directly but you have a million posts in this thread bagging league and praising anything to do with union. Why don't you change your name to Gregan Magic? then have a Phil Waugh* avatar.:roll:

I don't care how many teams could win the WC, rugby onion(yes it is onion because it certainly bores me to tears) is and always will be a garbage game.
The only thing wrong with international League is the clowns running it.
Onion = bad product, good salesmen.
League = good product, bad salesmen.

*I had a guess - I don't know who the Wallabies hooker is, nor do I care, and anyone that does know or care should be shot.:p

Johns Magic

Referee
RalthFilthy said:
FFS, you may not have said it directly but you have a million posts in this thread bagging league and praising anything to do with union. Why don't you change your name to Gregan Magic? then have a Phil Waugh* avatar.:roll:

I don't care how many teams could win the WC, rugby onion(yes it is onion because it certainly bores me to tears) is and always will be a garbage game.
The only thing wrong with international League is the clowns running it.
Onion = bad product, good salesmen.
League = good product, bad salesmen.

*I had a guess - I don't know who the Wallabies hooker is, nor do I care, and anyone that does know or care should be shot.:p

So I never actually said that? Righto, dickhead.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Johns Magic said:

You know it all :roll:

http://www.ffr13.com/1-13928-Equipe-de-France.php

TOUL001-g.jpg

bobbis

Juniors
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Well about France i refer you to the Vichy regime's effects. The reasons why other nations cant compete is the point! If you sent over an australian side picked entirely out of the JB Cup then maybe your desired competitiveness could be reached. The RWC had Portugal as a team FFS, they had 30 registered players... lol Malta have alot more than that in RL and they are a much smaller nation and they WONT qualify for the RLWC.

Um no...
http://www.fpr.pt/clubes/lista_clubes.asp?opm=16
You're suggesting less than 1 player per club.... that is the dumbest post I've ever seen thank you, 1 a side rugby :lol: :lol:

It never amazes me some of the crap people are willing to write.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
bobbis said:
Um no...
http://www.fpr.pt/clubes/lista_clubes.asp?opm=16
You're suggesting less than 1 player per club.... that is the dumbest post I've ever seen thank you, 1 a side rugby :lol: :lol:

It never amazes me some of the crap people are willing to write.

1 a side rugby.. well not quite.. but here's on for you champ....

Cayman Islands..

Clubs: 430 ..... :lol: (The islands have a population of 46,000, you reckon rockhampton has 430 RL clubs?)

Players: 2707...

6.29 players per club.

But lets break it up even more.

Total Male Players: 1685 (That's 4 per team)
Total Female Player:1022 (That's 2.5 per team)

Straight from the IRB's mouth...

http://www.irb.com/unions/union=11000047/index.html

It never ceases to amaze me some of the crap that really sh*t sports are willing to write.

mark123

Juniors
Whoever said that union=bad game/good salesman and league good game/bad salesman is right.

It doesnt matter how good what you have is, if you can't sell it, its not much good to you.

Apple/Microsoft is a classic example. Microsoft know how to SELL things.....so much so that you practically can't buy a decent operating system that is widely supported unless its windows.

Who here thinks a KIA car or a Daewoo car is a quality vehicle? So much so that you wouldnt buy anything else?

Is the Holden VE passenger Commodore (a car built to a mid 30K standard) REALLY as good as a BMW ( a car built to a 60K+ standard)?

When people don't know they believe whoever has the strongest voice/convincing argument.

But neither of those two things involve truth.

But sports are like drugs. You are compelled to watch them for the contest and the spectacle. You get a person watching it or playing it, and they can be hooked for life or until the effect of the spectacle or contest is "broken" in them.....say all Union players come out and labell their supporters as "mindless idiots". US Baseball players strike: broke the "drug" effect on the population - so the majority of people stopped turning up to games....SL did same for RL public......but look....after some years people return to the drug to be hooked again.

If few people agree that Union is better than league, then why isnt the league high more prevalent than the Union high?

What I am effectively saying is that you need to sell the game. And we all know that AND that you need to sell it better. But when are the IRL and NRL going to start DOING THAT?

This world cup coming up for league is a step in the right direction. Changes on the international scene are a step in the right direction like tri nations.

More still needs to be done..

At the moment i think we are seeing International league fighting once more to be allowed a place on our sports calendar and everyone is starting to see how big these matches can be and generate lots of money/viewers.

More marketing is needed however. More minds must be reached and more people must be compelled to watch - and to compell them we must LET THEM KNOW THE GAME IS ON!

Instead of asking how come its not working, ask how you can develop ways to make it work:

Precursor: continue to develop international league standards, and set up club competion to allow for international league and to develop players for international league.

1. Let people know about it.
2. Package it in the best way (delivery systems ...like a cigarette is for nicotine) I think our product is pretty good, but some Bulldust packaging may make it look better (ala marketing)
3. Put VALUE on it.
4. Put desirability in it.
5. Make it a regular occurance. (do you think smokers would grow to become pack a day smokers if you only ever gave them one or two smokes every now and then)
6. Extend to habit. From regularity you get habbit. Make it a habbit to attend games and watch International league. Forge rivalry
7. Make it within reach to people!!

There is a reason why people buy commodores and not BMW's....because they cant afford it.....dont put anything to do with league out of reach to people...

In a few minutes i have set a goal and objectives to reach it. I have a system that may or may not work.....does IRL have a system?

Do we even have a federation to set up such a system or a federation with any kind of power?

THIS ALL NEEDS TO CHANGE

Its getting there, but i hope the powers that b fast track it.

The secondary point of my post is this:

ITS TIME TO GIVE RL A NEW TIER AT THE TOP OF THE SPORT: A REAL INTERNATIONAL BODY PEOPLE ADHERE TO

bobbis

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
1 a side rugby.. well not quite.. but here's on for you champ....

Cayman Islands..

Clubs: 430 ..... :lol: (The islands have a population of 46,000, you reckon rockhampton has 430 RL clubs?)

Players: 2707...

6.29 players per club.

But lets break it up even more.

Total Male Players: 1685 (That's 4 per team)
Total Female Player:1022 (That's 2.5 per team)

Straight from the IRB's mouth...

http://www.irb.com/unions/union=11000047/index.html

It never ceases to amaze me some of the crap that really sh*t sports are willing to write.

I didn't use IRB stats or bring up the Caymens but thanks champ, so nothing to add on Portugal having 30 players... no I didnt think so. I'm sure we discussed this matter before, as I said way back then, IRB participation stats aren't accurate but thanks for the irrelevent tangent.

So whats your take on Mr Faranheit's 30 registered players for 49 clubs? There's contact info there if you doubt the clubs exist.

The irrelvent crap that your willing to write never ceases to amaze me. What will you reply to this with, Vichy, Tv stats, player stats in Mongolia, maybe a rant about Dunning?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
No way in the world are the All Blacks more skillful than than the Kiwis

Carter is skillful yes, but i wouldn't class him higher than Jones, Collins would be great in league, through strength, not skill, and would never have the ball skills of Lauiti'iti, Williams, Solomona etc. Howlett, Rokocoko, Sivuvatu, they don't have the all round skills of Inu, Marshall, Fa'afili etc, they would get hammered underneath the towering bombs