What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest IMG proposals for Super League

Wb1234

Referee
Meanwhile back in the real world.....

Ideally we'd have a 14 team comp with the current 12 plus Toulouse and Bradford. Keep the grading system in place giving any other clubs who have the ambition and finances the opportunity to move up if they prove better than an incumbent.

Toronto is and always was a pipedream on par with Paris and Gateshead.
Good post

except Toronto

10k crowds

hull kr copied their game day experience

Wb1234

Referee
I’d like to see a Dublin have a crack at the Championship to see if they have SL potential..

I believe SL should go to 14 teams. Talk about not enough in the player pool is silly. What is the population of GB and Ireland? There is no one from Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France or even Serbia that would like to play league professionally?

Not to mention players from the PI and PNG..
Ireland is no chance of a team

wales has been tried many times and struggled that would be the best bet out of Strickland Ireland and wales

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good post

except Toronto

10k crowds

hull kr copied their game day experience
reality was they were unsustainable unless someone was willing to keep pumping serious money in, offered nothing to the revenue pot of SL (at least in short to medium term) and logistically where a nightmare for travel. You know how you mock GTOD for suggesting NRL should have a club in Singapore? Well Toronto is just as dumb an idea.

Maybe in a decade or two if NRL's efforts in Vegas come to anything it might be viable to have a club or two in Nth America in SL, but right now it isnt.

Wb1234

Referee
reality was they were unsustainable unless someone was willing to keep pumping serious money in, offered nothing to the revenue pot of SL (at least in short to medium term) and logistically where a nightmare for travel. You know how you mock GTOD for suggesting NRL should have a club in Singapore? Well Toronto is just as dumb an idea.

Maybe in a decade or two if NRL's efforts in Vegas come to anything it might be viable to have a club or two in Nth America in SL, but right now it isnt.
How many super league clubs would be viable without any of the tv money and an owner covering losses ?

lol

two ? Four ?

the people of Toronto fell in love with rugby league

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many super league clubs would be viable without any of the tv money and an owner covering losses ?

lol

two ? Four ?

the people of Toronto fell in love with rugby league
many would struggle, but that doesn't change the fact Toronto where totally reliant on one mans money. And when it went so did they. Whilst other clubs, including my own, benefit from funding from owners they are not fully reliant on it. There's a huge difference.

Reality is SL does not have the money available to give grants to teams that are not generating any revenue back. And so far neither French or Nth America TV has shown any interest in buying RL games. Hence the IMG limit of two foreign clubs.

That they did, and its a shame that there isnt more money in RL in Nth America to give them a decent league to follow.

Wb1234

Referee
many would struggle, but that doesn't change the fact Toronto where totally reliant on one mans money. And when it went so did they. Whilst other clubs, including my own, benefit from funding from owners they are not fully reliant on it. There's a huge difference.

Reality is SL does not have the money available to give grants to teams that are not generating any revenue back. And so far neither French or Nth America TV has shown any interest in buying RL games. Hence the IMG limit of two foreign clubs.

That they did, and its a shame that there isnt more money in RL in Nth America to give them a decent league to follow.
It’s been giving Les Catalans a grant for 15 years or so lol

argyle cut off funding because English fans thought he was racist when he made a joke which was clearly making fun of Swinton

at least the nrl isn’t stupid like super league and when someone wants to fund an expansion team for us we don’t try and stop it

Pippen94

First Grade
I'd like to see them go with this. Would require an NRL buyout or change in IMG policy of more than 2 non English clubs

English Clubs

1. Leeds
2. Wigan
3. St Helens
4. Warrington
5. Hull FC
6. Hull KR
7. London
8. Bradford

Non-English Clubs

9. Catalans
10. Toulouse
11. North Wales
12. Toronto

Wakefield should get a run. Maybe Widnes. No Manchester team on your list. London needs stronger backer. Toronto isn't feasible without billionaire propping it up. Team at Carcassonne representing area is another option. Should be atleast 14 teams.

Wb1234

Referee
Wakefield should get a run. Maybe Widnes. No Manchester team on your list. London needs stronger backer. Toronto isn't feasible without billionaire propping it up. Team at Carcassonne representing area is another option. Should be atleast 14 teams.

Wb1234

Referee
possible but unlikely. The clubs survived since 1882.
Loads of times it hasn’t been able to pay its bills

indeed owner almost walked away five years ago that would’ve killed you as a super league club

that’s the difference between making it and not making it in super league is a bit of luck

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s been giving Les Catalans a grant for 15 years or so lol

argyle cut off funding because English fans thought he was racist when he made a joke which was clearly making fun of Swinton

at least the nrl isn’t stupid like super league and when someone wants to fund an expansion team for us we don’t try and stop it
based on the premise that one day French Tv would show an interest and buy games. 15 years on and the rest of SL is now getting frustrated that there is still no sign of this happening. They drew the line in the sand with Toronto then Toulouse.

Wb1234

Referee
based on the premise that one day French Tv would show an interest and buy games. 15 years on and the rest of SL is now getting frustrated that there is still no sign of this happening. They drew the line in the sand with Toronto then Toulouse.
That would be such an English rugby league thing to do to cut off funding to Les Catalans

this is why your league is in a death spiral is stupid decisions like that

Perth Red

Post Whore

Perth Red

Post Whore
That would be such an English rugby league thing to do to cut off funding to Les Catalans

this is why your league is in a death spiral is stupid decisions like that
I dont agree with it but I can understand it. If something is costing money and not increasing the value of your business you dont just keep throwing money at it because its the good thing to do.

the league isnt in a death spiral, thats just hyperbole. No club has gone bust despite the challenges of covid, in fact many clubs have attracted new significant investment in recent years. TV is paying less but that's largely due to soccer sucking up every last pound of Sky's money (6.7BILLION in the new deal!). crowds are up, games on fta for first time ever with healthy audiences, every game live, VR at every game now, new streaming app with every game available, and the comp itself is closer than ever.
Does it need more revenue? absolutely!

Wb1234

Referee
yeh I was there, I marched to save the club. I painted the stadium fence to help the club out!
and yet just like the resilient robin we are still bob bob bobbing along!
So survival since 1882 was in name only
I dont agree with it but I can understand it. If something is costing money and not increasing the value of your business you dont just keep throwing money at it because its the good thing to do.

the league isnt in a death spiral, thats just hyperbole. No club has gone bust despite the challenges of covid, in fact many clubs have attracted new significant investment in recent years. TV is paying less but that's largely due to soccer sucking up every last pound of Sky's money (6.7BILLION in the new deal!). crowds are up, games on fta for first time ever with healthy audiences, every game live, VR at every game now, new streaming app with every game available, and the comp itself is closer than ever.
Does it need more revenue? absolutely!
tv deal is 20 million pounds pa

Because there is no money in the game English clubs make short term decisions trying to stay alive even if it kills off the games longer term prospects

expansion will never work in super league the English clubs don’t have the patience for it

Perth Red

Post Whore
So survival since 1882 was in name only

tv deal is 20 million pounds pa

Because there is no money in the game English clubs make short term decisions trying to stay alive even if it kills off the games longer term prospects

expansion will never work in super league the English clubs don’t have the patience for it
nope, we never went into liquidation, only administration. The club has continued operating since 1882. Theres agreat doco of those dark days called trouble at the top, worth a watch.

after 15 years there's still no French tv deal, how long do you think they should wait till the investment starts to return some dividends? Would you still be making an annual deposit in an investment if 15 years later it hadn't returned any money?
Dont get me wrong I love having Dragons in SL, its good for the French game and the away game weekend is awesome, but I can see why there's questions being asked in a time of dropping revenues. Its not SL's job to fund French RL.

Wb1234

Referee
nope, we never went into liquidation, only administration. The club has continued operating since 1882. Theres agreat doco of those dark days called trouble at the top, worth a watch.

after 15 years there's still no French tv deal, how long do you think they should wait till the investment starts to return some dividends? Would you still be making an annual deposit in an investment if 15 years later it hadn't returned any money?
Dont get me wrong I love having Dragons in SL, its good for the French game and the away game weekend is awesome, but I can see why there's questions being asked in a time of dropping revenues. Its not SL's job to fund French RL.
The failure of Catalans to get a paying tv deal is a reflection of super league as a competition

Robert elstone cancelled the original non paying tv deal they had and then they couldn’t get it back

spending 1.5 million pounds pa to keep professional rugby league in France alive is a pittance

Cutting it might kill the game in France and do nothing for the game in England since it’s such a trivial amount

hopefully with toulose in. Super league they can land a paying tv deal

Perth Red

Post Whore
The failure of Catalans to get a paying tv deal is a reflection of super league as a competition

Robert elstone cancelled the original non paying tv deal they had and then they couldn’t get it back

spending 1.5 million pounds pa to keep professional rugby league in France alive is a pittance

Cutting it might kill the game in France and do nothing for the game in England since it’s such a trivial amount

hopefully with toulose in. Super league they can land a paying tv deal
Hope doesnt pay the bills.