What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest IMG proposals for Super League

they did a deal with the bulls to give them an upfront cash payment and transfer all future maintenance to the bulls

the money got wasted then the cost of maintaining odsal sent them broke
Whatever purpose resources are ostensibly earmarked for, English RL club owners will always find a way to splurge it on player payments.

In 1995, creating Super League Europe was akin to sending a rabble of chucked-out drunks back to the pub for an almighty piss-up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whatever purpose resources are ostensibly earmarked for, English RL club owners will always find a way to splurge it on player payments.

In 1995, creating Super League Europe was akin to sending a rabble of chucked-out drunks back to the pub for an almighty piss-up.
Which is exactly why the IMG grading system has been adopted. No longer is a SL place guaranteed just from on field performances.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did IMG get Wigan a game at Las Vegas?!
why would they? that isnt their job.

the criticism of the IMG partnership from certain club owners is to be expected. A big part of RL in UK problem has been its resistance to change. Its not surprising some clubs remain resistant. There has been some positive steps forward for many clubs already under the new grading system but some still would prefer clubs to be throwing all their money in the hope of promotion, or for the fear of relegation, instead of spending it in improving their business.
The new media landscape they are creating will pay dividends in years to come. Clubs are being ridiculous to think IMG can turn the sport around in 2 years.
Turning a ship as calcitrant as RL is not a short or easy task.

The only criticism I can have is the way the England France test match was managed, but again I'm not sure if that is even in their remit of work. It probably isnt. My understanding is their remit is: SL structure (ie grading system management), Improving commercial viability of SL including media strategy and sales, SL marketing and supporting SL club business improvements .

Ive listed some of the good off field things that have happened in last 2 years in their area of responsibility. On the field the 2024 SL season is turning into one of the closest and least predictable (london aside) for many a year.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
why would they? that isnt their job.

the criticism of the IMG partnership from certain club owners is to be expected. A big part of RL in UK problem has been its resistance to change. Its not surprising some clubs remain resistant. There has been some positive steps forward for many clubs already under the new grading system but some still would prefer clubs to be throwing all their money in the hope of promotion, or for the fear of relegation, instead of spending it in improving their business.
The new media landscape they are creating will pay dividends in years to come. Clubs are being ridiculous to think IMG can turn the sport around in 2 years.
Turning a ship as calcitrant as RL is not a short or easy task.

The only criticism I can have is the way the England France test match was managed, but again I'm not sure if that is even in their remit of work. It probably isnt. My understanding is their remit is: SL structure (ie grading system management), Improving commercial viability of SL including media strategy and sales, SL marketing and supporting SL club business improvements .

Ive listed some of the good off field things that have happened in last 2 years in their area of responsibility. On the field the 2024 SL season is turning into one of the closest and least predictable (london aside) for many a year.

Lol, the clubs organised with the NRL. IMG can advise & arrange things but it has no funds to do much. Las Vegas is biggest venture for superleague in long while. Just a hint of NRL can do.

Pippen94

First Grade
London are the only super league club that is going to get cut

..but Salford, Leigh must be looking over shoulder?! Of all the teams in the system how many want what IMG are seemingly (slowly) moving towards: a closed league?!

Wb1234

Referee
..but Salford, Leigh must be looking over shoulder?! Of all the teams in the system how many want what IMG are seemingly (slowly) moving towards: a closed league?!
Pretty sure Salford and Leigh make the cut

Leigh aren’t too bad great new stadium and crowds of like 7 to 8k which is decent for super league

Clubs in super league want a closed shop
Clubs outside it don’t lol

Pippen94

First Grade
Pretty sure Salford and Leigh make the cut

Leigh aren’t too bad great new stadium and crowds of like 7 to 8k which is decent for super league

Clubs in super league want a closed shop
Clubs outside it don’t lol

Clubs from small towns don't want closed league. Grading system is there to weed them out. Bradford, Toulouse, Wakefield all looming..(don't ask me about London)

Perth Red

Post Whore
London are the only super league club that is going to get cut
not necessarily, Cas and Leigh are on the edge

2023 Indicative gradings

Super League​

1. Leeds Rhinos – A – 17.49 – Super League

2. Wigan Warriors – A – 16.87 – Super League

3. St Helens – A – 16.78 – Super League

4. Catalans Dragons – A – 16.73 – Super League

5. Warrington Wolves – A – 15.75 – Super League

6. Hull KR – A – 15.52 – Super League

7. Hull FC – A – 15.05 – Super League

8. Salford Red Devils – B – 13.80 – Super League

9. Huddersfield Giants – B – 13.49 – Super League

10. Toulouse Olympique – B – 12.97 – Championship

11. Wakefield Trinity – B – 12.52 – Championship

12. Leigh Leopards – B – 12.45 – Super League

13. Castleford Tigers – B – 12.16 – Super League

14. Bradford Bulls – B – 12.02 – Championship

24. London Broncos – B – 8.07 – Super League

Wb1234

Referee
That would be awesome

to into super league

toulose did belt Wakefield a week or so ago the margin was close to 40 points

and if cas and Leigh miss out for Bradford I would have some optimism about the game

hudds are another waste of space. It’s never been a rugby town. It’s just the place the northern union clubs decided to break away

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'd like to see them go with this. Would require an NRL buyout or change in IMG policy of more than 2 non English clubs

English Clubs

1. Leeds
2. Wigan
3. St Helens
4. Warrington
5. Hull FC
6. Hull KR
7. London
8. Bradford

Non-English Clubs

9. Catalans
10. Toulouse
11. North Wales
12. Toronto

Wb1234

Referee
I'd like to see them go with this. Would require an NRL buyout or change in IMG policy of more than 2 non English clubs

English Clubs

1. Leeds
2. Wigan
3. St Helens
4. Warrington
5. Hull FC
6. Hull KR
7. London
8. Bradford

Non-English Clubs

9. Catalans
10. Toulouse
11. North Wales
12. Toronto
Salford are an important market

need one of cas/wakey

need 14 teams but there isn’t money

what they should do potentially is Allow for 14 teams and the last two teams don’t get any money from the tv deal they have to fund themselves

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Salford are an important market

need one of cas/wakey

need 14 teams but there isn’t money

what they should do potentially is Allow for 14 teams and the last two teams don’t get any money from the tv deal they have to fund themselves
Would be good to pick up a French deal that covers the two French sides as extras. And the NRL buys out the SL, and can snag a North American TV deal with Fox to pay for Toronto and the Vegas games

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would be good to pick up a French deal that covers the two French sides as extras. And the NRL buys out the SL, and can snag a North American TV deal with Fox to pay for Toronto and the Vegas games
Meanwhile back in the real world.....

Ideally we'd have a 14 team comp with the current 12 plus Toulouse and Bradford. Keep the grading system in place giving any other clubs who have the ambition and finances the opportunity to move up if they prove better than an incumbent.

Toronto is and always was a pipedream on par with Paris and Gateshead.

Coastbloke

Bench
I’d like to see a Dublin have a crack at the Championship to see if they have SL potential..

I believe SL should go to 14 teams. Talk about not enough in the player pool is silly. What is the population of GB and Ireland? There is no one from Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France or even Serbia that would like to play league professionally?

Not to mention players from the PI and PNG..

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d like to see a Dublin have a crack at the Championship to see if they have SL potential..

I believe SL should go to 14 teams. Talk about not enough in the player pool is silly. What is the population of GB and Ireland? There is no one from Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France or even Serbia that would like to play league professionally?

Not to mention players from the PI and PNG..
Nothing to do with player pool. Its to do with tv revenue and not enough money to fund 14 clubs at the moment.

Latest posts