What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest IMG proposals for Super League

jim_57

Staff member
Yes it should have a score for actual crowd size. That and the fact there are no points for player production are the obvious tweaks it needs.

though crowd size would skew massively in favour of SL clubs,

I can’t remember exactly but I think there was something about London scoring poorly on the catchment area one because they only counted the immediate suburb London were in or something like that.

Definitely could do with some tweaks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can’t remember exactly but I think there was something about London scoring poorly on the catchment area one because they only counted the immediate suburb London were in or something like that.

Definitely could do with some tweaks.
London likely got 1 point out of a max 1.5 For location.There’s 215k in their local authority area and they are the only club. For full points it’s over 260k.

re attendance there is different points for attendance size.
over 7500 is full 2.5 points
Over 3000 2 points
Over 1500 1.5 points
Less than 1500 0.75 points

more detailed scoring criteria can be found here

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
I think one could encourage a French TV deal however the French should be given up to four spots not two if they are not to take central distribution.

Four teams gives more regular product.

Additionally, they should receive finance every time their games are shown.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think one could encourage a French TV deal however the French should be given up to four spots not two if they are not to take central distribution.

Four teams gives more regular product.

Additionally, they should receive finance every time their games are shown.
There arent 4 French clubs big enough to be in SL.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
There arent 4 French clubs big enough to be in SL.
I think that is the point.

If one were to guarantee a place in Super League to two additional clubs I could see two additional clubs emerge.

Aude could emerge as a single club

Additionally, Stade Francais and other Paris based sporting clubs have explored Rugby League as an option.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think that is the point.

If one were to guarantee a place in Super League to two additional clubs I could see two additional clubs emerge.

Aude could emerge as a single club

Additionally, Stade Francais and other Paris based sporting clubs have explored Rugby League as an option.
In effect there is a guarantee now with the grading system. Build a club that scores an A grade and you’re guaranteed a SL place. There is nothing stopping someone building a club for SL now.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
In effect there is a guarantee now with the grading system. Build a club that scores an A grade and you’re guaranteed a SL place. There is nothing stopping someone building a club for SL now.
At present I only believe clubs in the British system can apply for grading.

If this were extended to the French system or a new franchise without previous history in RL that may work but without specific room I don't think such is possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At present I only believe clubs in the British system can apply for grading.

If this were extended to the French system or a new franchise without previous history in RL that may work but without specific room I don't think such is possible.
That is true But nothing to stop any french club, existing or new applying to join the English system.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
Un
That is true But nothing to stop any french club, existing or new applying to join the English system.

Unfortunately, I don't imagine much openness to such.

It could easily be changed by simply including Elite 1 clubs in official grading.

This would also incentives increased investment by French and European investors into the French (and possibly wider) professional game.

Elite 1 and Championship should become part of one wider second tier imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Un

Unfortunately, I don't imagine much openness to such.

It could easily be changed by simply including Elite 1 clubs in official grading.

This would also incentives increased investment by French and European investors into the French (and possibly wider) professional game.

Elite 1 and Championship should become part of one wider second tier imo.
I suspect the RFL had no legal jurisdiction over the French league and maybe FRL doesn’t want the RFL controlling the French comp in any way?

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
I suspect the RFL had no legal jurisdiction over the French league and maybe FRL doesn’t want the RFL controlling the French comp in any way?
I don't think the issue is jurisdiction 'over' but IMG partnership 'with'.

You can guarantee that if IMG said, can we do standards tests on Elite clubs with the goal of making Elite one equal to Championship, they would jump at it.

Pathways to the 'top', whether promo / reg or IMG standards gives reason for investment. The difference being IMG standards necessitate broad investment but also stronger investment guarantees if standards are met (ie. No automatic relegation).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fact remains if any French club has SL ambitions they can apply to join the uk comp and be graded and have a direct path to SL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The IMG grading table, which will determine the clubs that play in Super League next season, will be announced on October 23rd. The Rugby Football League has outlined the timeline by which the process of scoring each club will be achieved while also explaining the processes in place to ensure both the data provided and the scores of each club will be correct.

RFL CEO Tony Sutton reiterated that IMG is still committed to only having twelve teams in Super League next year, despite an anticipated increase in scores submitted across teams chasing a place in Super League next year.

The final standings will not be published until eleven days after the Super League Grand Final on October 12th. That's because the Championship Grand Final does not take place until a week later, and therefore, the final performance scorings cannot be totalled up as the winning team will receive bonus points as per the grading criteria.
Data will need to be submitted between September 2nd and September 30th, with the date changing depending on which division they play in. Each club will need to submit all their relevant data by the regular conclusion of their respective league season.

Each club will then be involved in a moderation discussion regarding their score to ensure both the governing body and the clubs are in agreement. If they are not, the moderation will be used to determine whether the score needs to be amended or whether the score that has been provided is correct. It's a new installment in the process after the high-profile case of Castleford Tigers last year, who disputed the score that was given to them and ultimately saw them miss out on a top twelve position in the indicative rankings.

Sutton also confirmed that the RFL is out to tender for an assurance provider, otherwise known as an auditor, to add a further line of verification to the scores and submissions from the governing body and clubs.

One important area of grading is attendance. Clubs are known to distribute crowd figures including non-attending season ticket holders but in confirming how figures would be verified, Sutton revealed the figures used in submissions would be based on real figures.

"We have, as a background position, a significant amount of data over a long period about club's attendances as clubs have submitted attendances to us for a long time," he said. "So in the first instance, we have a layer of consistency and can identify exceptions from that. Secondly, all clubs have signed to say what they submit is correct.

"Thirdly, clubs have to submit ground safety officer reports where the attendance is verified by the independent ground safety officer, and they're also required to submit audit evidence for what is submitted. So to put that into a little bit of context, from my time at Hull there is a computer control room where they receive independently, verified attendance reports of those actually in the ground. That level of audit evidence is required across all data submission.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesn’t give clubs coming up or going down much time to prepare for the season ahead.

lol at the attendance statement, hfc are known to fudge their numbers counting season ticket holders who dont turn up and the 1200 or so seats assigned to the stadium owners even if not used.

taste2taste

Juniors
Does IMG release the standings of where every team ranks during the season ? Or is it only released once the season is over ?

If the rankings are known, fans of a team thats sitting right on the edge would be incentived to attend games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does IMG release the standings of where every team ranks during the season ? Or is it only released once the season is over ?

If the rankings are known, fans of a team thats sitting right on the edge would be incentived to attend games.
Only gets announced after they have done the assessment in October. It isnt a 'live' process.

There's not that many points for attendance, only have to get over 7.5k to get max points.
Be interesting to see how IMG hold the clubs accountable on that. HKR stopped publishing crowds as they know other clubs are fudging them and including season members regardless of if they turn up or not.

7.5k+ =2.5 points
3k + = 2 points
1.5k+ = 1.5points
under 1.5k = 0.75 point

The other points for crowds is in stadium utilisation
100% full = 1ppoint
75% full = 0.75 points
50% full = 0.5points
etc

wain

Juniors
is it just me that thinks the crowds grading needs work?
there could be a team that gets 3001 in attendance which is at capacity. they receive 3 points.

yet, another bigger team could potentially average 15k in a 30k stadium and only receive the same score.

yakstorm

First Grade
there could be a team that gets 3001 in attendance which is at capacity. they receive 3 points.

yet, another bigger team could potentially average 15k in a 30k stadium and only receive the same score.
Definitely, there should be another breakpoint between 3K and 7.5K at least.

I'm not a fan of penalising teams that play in bigger venues either. Using Wigan as an example, they're averaging 14K so far this year, so they'll only get 3pts versus Hull KR, who are selling out matches, but capped around 10K, who will get 3.5.

I get that the rule is designed to try to present the game better on TV, but there are other ways that can be achieved without making teams like London go looking for smaller homes.

Perth Red

Post Whore

It could indeed but it has been done thos way to try and give some hope to clubs outside SL. If it eas straight up crowd size then championship clubs would never be able to match scroes of SL clubs due to the natural difference in crowd size between leagues.

The stadium utilisation I like, its been done to present the game as best as possible on tv and no one likes the look of half empty stadiums. Only concern I have with that is it disincentivises clubs from extending their grounds as they could actually lose points by building a bigger stand, at least in the short term.