What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest IMG proposals for Super League

Perth Red

Post Whore
London’s win over Hull, their first in 11 attempts this season, has provoked quite a lot of discussion. The merits of London in Super League have been debated endlessly since the start of the season, in a way that, to be honest, I find slightly baffling.

Why? Almost no sports fans are as hostile to new fans as rugby league supporters seem to be. Given the support that rugby league has and the declining attendances, especially below Super League, this is even more bizarre. But you only have to look at any rugby league social media to see people complaining that “southern” teams suck money away from the “heartlands”, or that non-traditional clubs are of no value to the sport, and even that there shouldn’t be any rugby league teams outside the North! I accept that this is not all, or even necessarily a majority of rugby league fans, but it is far more prominent than in, say football. Or union.

London’s crowds are around 3,500 for this season, and they do have a very dedicated fan base. When I was at university in Reading, I watched them regularly in my third year (including away trips to Barrow and Swinton) and got to know their fans well. The club is actually a good example of how we can grow rugby league. The fans are from very diverse backgrounds – some, but only a few are “ex-pats” northerners, living in London and watching the sport they grew up with. Others, like me, learnt the game from family connections to the north, and just enjoy having somewhere to go and watch. But there are also Union converts, people who came to one code through the other, and stuck around. Others have come from other sports, and one or two were introduced by friends and family as a day out. What kept me coming back was that their fans were, on the whole, very friendly and welcoming, so after going once because I had nothing to do one Sunday afternoon, I went back again and again. This is obviously a factor in the dedicated fan base they’ve built up, as it is if nothing else and very enjoyable and sociable place to spend an afternoon.

That said, they are a good example but not necessarily a good model. Their community outreach is far too weak. There is nothing in local news, no advertisements anywhere to be found, and links with local businesses are nowhere near good enough. They don’t reach out to local schools enough, although they do some work with local clubs. Most people who live around the area where they play would
have no idea they had a local top-flight rugby league team. Rugby league is a small and tight-knit community in the south, and they cannot afford to make do with that community – expansion is a must. The closing of their academy is a huge blow as well, though given the money they have to work on and the fact that IMG does not incentivise it, this is not exactly surprising. Relationships with other sports teams appear not to be brilliant either, and it is much easier to get a sports fan watching another sport than to turn someone into a sports fan. In fact, they seem to view the Skolars, London’s other professional club, with contempt bordering on hatred, which is not conducive to growing the sport in an area where it is already a minority.

One final point – IMG has been spectacularly unhelpful here. Catalans were given the freedom to expand, grow, and develop without fear of relegation. If IMG are to stop traditional promotion and relegation, then that is the only possible justification. Instead, London will play this season with very little incentive to spend or develop, because they are relegated anyway!

In summary: yes, London are good for the Super League, and yes, IMG’s new system has been deeply unhelpful to them and the sport. But their non-sporting elements, promotion, outreach, and relationships with outside groups, must get a lot stronger, or they will get overtaken.

Pippen94

First Grade
London’s win over Hull, their first in 11 attempts this season, has provoked quite a lot of discussion. The merits of London in Super League have been debated endlessly since the start of the season, in a way that, to be honest, I find slightly baffling.

Why? Almost no sports fans are as hostile to new fans as rugby league supporters seem to be. Given the support that rugby league has and the declining attendances, especially below Super League, this is even more bizarre. But you only have to look at any rugby league social media to see people complaining that “southern” teams suck money away from the “heartlands”, or that non-traditional clubs are of no value to the sport, and even that there shouldn’t be any rugby league teams outside the North! I accept that this is not all, or even necessarily a majority of rugby league fans, but it is far more prominent than in, say football. Or union.

London’s crowds are around 3,500 for this season, and they do have a very dedicated fan base. When I was at university in Reading, I watched them regularly in my third year (including away trips to Barrow and Swinton) and got to know their fans well. The club is actually a good example of how we can grow rugby league. The fans are from very diverse backgrounds – some, but only a few are “ex-pats” northerners, living in London and watching the sport they grew up with. Others, like me, learnt the game from family connections to the north, and just enjoy having somewhere to go and watch. But there are also Union converts, people who came to one code through the other, and stuck around. Others have come from other sports, and one or two were introduced by friends and family as a day out. What kept me coming back was that their fans were, on the whole, very friendly and welcoming, so after going once because I had nothing to do one Sunday afternoon, I went back again and again. This is obviously a factor in the dedicated fan base they’ve built up, as it is if nothing else and very enjoyable and sociable place to spend an afternoon.

That said, they are a good example but not necessarily a good model. Their community outreach is far too weak. There is nothing in local news, no advertisements anywhere to be found, and links with local businesses are nowhere near good enough. They don’t reach out to local schools enough, although they do some work with local clubs. Most people who live around the area where they play would
have no idea they had a local top-flight rugby league team. Rugby league is a small and tight-knit community in the south, and they cannot afford to make do with that community – expansion is a must. The closing of their academy is a huge blow as well, though given the money they have to work on and the fact that IMG does not incentivise it, this is not exactly surprising. Relationships with other sports teams appear not to be brilliant either, and it is much easier to get a sports fan watching another sport than to turn someone into a sports fan. In fact, they seem to view the Skolars, London’s other professional club, with contempt bordering on hatred, which is not conducive to growing the sport in an area where it is already a minority.

One final point – IMG has been spectacularly unhelpful here. Catalans were given the freedom to expand, grow, and develop without fear of relegation. If IMG are to stop traditional promotion and relegation, then that is the only possible justification. Instead, London will play this season with very little incentive to spend or develop, because they are relegated anyway!

In summary: yes, London are good for the Super League, and yes, IMG’s new system has been deeply unhelpful to them and the sport. But their non-sporting elements, promotion, outreach, and relationships with outside groups, must get a lot stronger, or they will get overtaken.

Catalans is league heartland with a wealthy backer.

If the Khan family who own Fulham want to buy the broncos & return them to craven Cottage that would be a dream. Non heartland teams need somebody to bankroll them. Superleague has had rich people who are keen, but are good at running them off. Superleague needs Vlandys.

TDD91

Juniors
The Khan's are too busy running a loss making wrestling company to have a 4th sports venture on the go. London need to stay in 1 place for a prolonged spell IMO, and Wimbledon is the perfect ground for that. Was a great away day when I went this season.

Pippen94

First Grade
The Khan's are too busy running a loss making wrestling company to have a 4th sports venture on the go. London need to stay in 1 place for a prolonged spell IMO, and Wimbledon is the perfect ground for that. Was a great away day when I went this season.

The wrestling company valued at 2 billion dollars by Forbes?! Wimbledon is a great ground, spectators have a choice of numerous empty seats & no lines for bathroom or food.
Superleague needs investment. Simply having a London team isn't enough. Last 40 years should tell you that!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes finally got a decent ground they can make home. They now need to build their fanbase and finances and get that high B grade license score ready for 14 team SL, which will surely come.

Pippen94

First Grade
Yes finally got a decent ground they can make home. They now need to build their fanbase and finances and get that high B grade license score ready for 14 team SL, which will surely come.

Good luck building fanbase & money in championship. Doing same thing over again & expecting different results..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good luck building fanbase & money in championship. Doing same thing over again & expecting different results..
Toulouse have managed it and good chance of ousting Cas or Wakey for the 12th spot, even Bradford scored well. Thats the beauty of the grading, its achievable even outside of SL.

Pippen94

First Grade
Toulouse have managed it and good chance of ousting Cas or Wakey for the 12th spot, even Bradford scored well. Thats the beauty of the grading, its achievable even outside of SL.

Bradford & Toulouse are heartland league teams. London needs backer willing to spend.

Pippen94

First Grade
you dont say genius! Maybe they should get you in as a consultant to tell them this ground breaking news.

Maybe, because IMG are leaving broncos to die. They're hoping the game gets stronger with their changes & a new investor emerges in London. Hoping current London team grows while back in championship, like you are is fanciful..but yeah, doing same thing over again..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe, because IMG are leaving broncos to die. They're hoping the game gets stronger with their changes & a new investor emerges in London. Hoping current London team grows while back in championship, like you are is fanciful..but yeah, doing same thing over again..
Its not IMG's or the RFL's job to do anything with the Broncos. If they want to to be a SL club they need to work to become one. The black and white criteria is there for them to achieve. They now have a great stadium that ticks the criteria boxes. They now need to build their fanbase and community engagement and improve their finances whilst staying in the top 3 in the Championship. Their destiny is in their own hands.

Pippen94

First Grade
Its not IMG's or the RFL's job to do anything with the Broncos. If they want to to be a SL club they need to work to become one. The black and white criteria is there for them to achieve. They now have a great stadium that ticks the criteria boxes. They now need to build their fanbase and community engagement and improve their finances whilst staying in the top 3 in the Championship. Their destiny is in their own hands.

Can't do that in the championship. Northern England & southern France are different because rugby league is in the DNA. London only grows in superleague with a backer. IMG letting broncos slip, shows it's not going to be them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't do that in the championship. Northern England & southern France are different because rugby league is in the DNA. London only grows in superleague with a backer. IMG letting broncos slip, shows it's not going to be them.
I beg to differ. Non traditional RL areas such as York and Newcastle have managed to score quite well despite being small clubs with ltd backing. If London want to break into top 14 scoring they need to up their game in a lot of areas and they are more than capable of doing that without IMGs help, why you think IMG should be helping any club remains a mystery I have to say. That isnt their job they've been brought in for. They are only in Sl by fluke of cup football and in reality are no where near being SL ready, on or off the field.

1715911020550.png

Pippen94

First Grade
I beg to differ. Non traditional RL areas such as York and Newcastle have managed to score quite well despite being small clubs with ltd backing. If London want to break into top 14 scoring they need to up their game in a lot of areas and they are more than capable of doing that without IMGs help, why you think IMG should be helping any club remains a mystery I have to say. That isnt their job they've been brought in for. They are only in Sl by fluke of cup football and in reality are no where near being SL ready, on or off the field.

View attachment 88070

Won't improve in championship. Mission of IMG is to make game profitable. No future in the broncos, but London long-term will help game. If a rich backer wants to invest in the game in london, there's no doubt IMG will make a place for them in the top flight. That's why criteria isn't on field focused.

Won't improve in championship. Mission of IMG is to make game profitable. No future in the broncos, but London long-term will help game. If a rich backer wants to invest in the game in london, there's no doubt IMG will make a place for them in the top flight. That's why criteria isn't on field focused.
SL just is simply not an investable league. The Broncos need tens of millions over more than a decade to come close to working. How would any “investor” get that money back from their club participating in the SL?

Pippen94

First Grade
SL just is simply not an investable league. The Broncos need tens of millions over more than a decade to come close to working. How would any “investor” get that money back from their club participating in the SL?

If league generated money from sponsor & broadcast rights like any other league. Investors buy in the A-league with hope of that competition catching on.

If league generated money from sponsor & broadcast rights like any other league. Investors buy in the A-league with hope of that competition catching on.
But the RFL are a shambles and have seen television contracts reduce time and time again since SL started in the 90s.

Pippen94

First Grade
But the RFL are a shambles and have seen television contracts reduce time and time again since SL started in the 90s.

No sport can survive without broadcast money. I think superleague can do better. Eddie Hearn thinks they can do better. IMG wouldn't have taken on the comp if they thought otherwise. If NRL was to take it would be with the idea they had product broadcasters would want. They also don't have ties which would make making changes impossible.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
NRL has to become the global brand.

İt.would.aide the NRL in terms of positioning as a global entity. İmagine the sense of "coup" over AFL in particular announcing expansion into Europe (even if little more than rebranding).

İn the past Brisbane saw the value in investing in London, thus the Broncos and there is no reason given closer ties we won't see the increasingly cashed up NRL teams see other ventures as have value.

Latest posts