What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest IMG proposals for Super League

jim_57

Staff member
Yes it should have a score for actual crowd size. That and the fact there are no points for player production are the obvious tweaks it needs.

though crowd size would skew massively in favour of SL clubs,

I can’t remember exactly but I think there was something about London scoring poorly on the catchment area one because they only counted the immediate suburb London were in or something like that.

Definitely could do with some tweaks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can’t remember exactly but I think there was something about London scoring poorly on the catchment area one because they only counted the immediate suburb London were in or something like that.

Definitely could do with some tweaks.
London likely got 1 point out of a max 1.5 For location.There’s 215k in their local authority area and they are the only club. For full points it’s over 260k.

re attendance there is different points for attendance size.
over 7500 is full 2.5 points
Over 3000 2 points
Over 1500 1.5 points
Less than 1500 0.75 points

more detailed scoring criteria can be found here

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
I think one could encourage a French TV deal however the French should be given up to four spots not two if they are not to take central distribution.

Four teams gives more regular product.

Additionally, they should receive finance every time their games are shown.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think one could encourage a French TV deal however the French should be given up to four spots not two if they are not to take central distribution.

Four teams gives more regular product.

Additionally, they should receive finance every time their games are shown.
There arent 4 French clubs big enough to be in SL.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
There arent 4 French clubs big enough to be in SL.
I think that is the point.

If one were to guarantee a place in Super League to two additional clubs I could see two additional clubs emerge.

Aude could emerge as a single club

Additionally, Stade Francais and other Paris based sporting clubs have explored Rugby League as an option.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think that is the point.

If one were to guarantee a place in Super League to two additional clubs I could see two additional clubs emerge.

Aude could emerge as a single club

Additionally, Stade Francais and other Paris based sporting clubs have explored Rugby League as an option.
In effect there is a guarantee now with the grading system. Build a club that scores an A grade and you’re guaranteed a SL place. There is nothing stopping someone building a club for SL now.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
In effect there is a guarantee now with the grading system. Build a club that scores an A grade and you’re guaranteed a SL place. There is nothing stopping someone building a club for SL now.
At present I only believe clubs in the British system can apply for grading.

If this were extended to the French system or a new franchise without previous history in RL that may work but without specific room I don't think such is possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At present I only believe clubs in the British system can apply for grading.

If this were extended to the French system or a new franchise without previous history in RL that may work but without specific room I don't think such is possible.
That is true But nothing to stop any french club, existing or new applying to join the English system.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
Un
That is true But nothing to stop any french club, existing or new applying to join the English system.

Unfortunately, I don't imagine much openness to such.

It could easily be changed by simply including Elite 1 clubs in official grading.

This would also incentives increased investment by French and European investors into the French (and possibly wider) professional game.

Elite 1 and Championship should become part of one wider second tier imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Un

Unfortunately, I don't imagine much openness to such.

It could easily be changed by simply including Elite 1 clubs in official grading.

This would also incentives increased investment by French and European investors into the French (and possibly wider) professional game.

Elite 1 and Championship should become part of one wider second tier imo.
I suspect the RFL had no legal jurisdiction over the French league and maybe FRL doesn’t want the RFL controlling the French comp in any way?

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
I suspect the RFL had no legal jurisdiction over the French league and maybe FRL doesn’t want the RFL controlling the French comp in any way?
I don't think the issue is jurisdiction 'over' but IMG partnership 'with'.

You can guarantee that if IMG said, can we do standards tests on Elite clubs with the goal of making Elite one equal to Championship, they would jump at it.

Pathways to the 'top', whether promo / reg or IMG standards gives reason for investment. The difference being IMG standards necessitate broad investment but also stronger investment guarantees if standards are met (ie. No automatic relegation).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fact remains if any French club has SL ambitions they can apply to join the uk comp and be graded and have a direct path to SL.