What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell Mitchell

BLM01

First Grade
Lets face it the greed of player managers and others around the NRL coffers are making it untenanble for most clubs to afford a decent squad within the cap. Player market values are over inflated relative to the cap.
Just like the EPL, super league etc the same rich clubs (our end Roosters, Souths, Melb & Brisbane, Parra as well) will be able to afford good squads.
Now with more money predicted from the next TV deal the salaries will go up even more.
Us struggling clubs need to come up with a champion team (bit like canberra in 19), not a team of champions
There are probably about in my mind only a few players worthy of $1mill a season relative to fitting a team within a 9.6m cap.
Ponga, Turbo, Teddy, RTS, Munster, Smith, DCE, Val Holmes, Taumalolo (maybe Hodgson, Fifita, Cam Murray, Addo-Carr)
The rest getting round that money is throwing $$$ away

How is Klemmer working out for $1.2m a year about
Milford
Ben Hunt
Cleary
Foran
Morgan from Cowboys
Ash Taylor
Sean Johnson
and a plethera of others close to that money were on 800+ are just not worth it.
Dugan
Widdop
[QUOTE="possm, post: 13886969, member: 37747"

Brutalitops

Juniors
Lets face it the greed of player managers and others around the NRL coffers are making it untenanble for most clubs to afford a decent squad within the cap. Player market values are over inflated relative to the cap.
Just like the EPL, super league etc the same rich clubs (our end Roosters, Souths, Melb & Brisbane, Parra as well) will be able to afford good squads.
Now with more money predicted from the next TV deal the salaries will go up even more.
Us struggling clubs need to come up with a champion team (bit like canberra in 19), not a team of champions
There are probably about in my mind only a few players worthy of $1mill a season relative to fitting a team within a 9.6m cap.
Ponga, Turbo, Teddy, RTS, Munster, Smith, DCE, Val Holmes, Taumalolo (maybe Hodgson, Fifita, Cam Murray, Addo-Carr)

Milford
Ben Hunt
Cleary
Foran
Morgan from Cowboys
Ash Taylor
Sean Johnson
and a plethera of others close to that money were on 800+ are just not worth it.
Dugan
Widdop
Interesting to note the vast majority of players getting this pay are halves. There's an idea that your halves are worth 20% of your team. Can't say I massively disagree with it however, I don't think there's a starting half in the comp on under around 500k.

Hunt's 1.2 figure is also media crap imo. Repeatedly been claimed by Millward it's significantly less, and some in the know on here even suggested it's under a million.

Wittenberg

Juniors

Milford
Ben Hunt
Cleary
Foran
Morgan from Cowboys
Ash Taylor
Sean Johnson
Dugan
Widdop
I think Ponga, as gifted as he is, has yet to prove he is really a $1 million plus player. Often all show and not much give. Didn’t like how he knifed Brown in the back either.

Como Connection

First Grade
Interesting to note the vast majority of players getting this pay are halves. There's an idea that your halves are worth 20% of your team. Can't say I massively disagree with it however, I don't think there's a starting half in the comp on under around 500k.

Hunt's 1.2 figure is also media crap imo. Repeatedly been claimed by Millward it's significantly less, and some in the know on here even suggested it's under a million.
$950k's
CC

Frank Facer

First Grade
Let Hunt return to Broncos and use his cap to sign Mitchell. He wants to p;ay fullback and we need a fullback.
Sailor or Dufty to play five-eighth and Norman to halfback and run the team.
I am not sure if Mitchell's body shape will be suitable for fullback in the coming years. He may fill out more and lack the acceleration needed for fullback. Fullbacks also cover more metres than anyone else on the paddock and I don't know if Mitchell has the stamina to play fullback. Yes he would be better than what we currently have, but I wouldn't want to be offering him a million dollar plus contract, with that uncertainty. He would make a very expensive centre, but probably is the best centre in the comp right now.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Milford
Ben Hunt
Cleary
Foran
Morgan from Cowboys
Ash Taylor
Sean Johnson
Dugan
Widdop
You had Addo Carr down as one of your million dollar a season players. lol You can't be serious. lol I don't think Cam Murray is worth anywhere near 1 mil a season right now either.

I think Haas could be worth 1 mil a season right now and in the future.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The money being tossed around for young players atm is ridiculous imo.

I think there should be a cap for youngsters as I believe it will keep then focus more and keep them grounded.

BLM01

First Grade

I believe it is...only just...like abt 50K

BLM01

First Grade
The money being tossed around for young players atm is ridiculous imo.

I think there should be a cap for youngsters as I believe it will keep then focus more and keep them grounded.
No can do. RLPA and player managers and restraint of money earning anyway
What they need to do is funnel the money bit more evenly throughout the game but 1st grade is the seller and the TV product. There is no answer unless salary cap is reduced.

BLM01

First Grade
You had Addo Carr down as one of your million dollar a season players. lol You can't be serious. lol I don't think Cam Murray is worth anywhere near 1 mil a season right now either.

I think Haas could be worth 1 mil a season right now and in the future.
You cant be serious also...:p...matter of opinion
Addo carr is a speed and try scoring freak IMO so i would pay him...but he was in brackets so debatable
and I think Cam Murray is one of the best young players in the game and is a ready made origin player
Haas is good to..but prop. I'd have him in that next tier under the elites but not far off as is fifita or even TPJ on his day but they have to be consistent

BLM01

First Grade
I think Ponga, as gifted as he is, has yet to prove he is really a $1 million plus player. Often all show and not much give. Didn’t like how he knifed Brown in the back either.
On the field I think he has. He was not Robinson Crusoe in regards to holding the knife.

possm

Coach
Our team is out of balance salary cap wise. Our back five are probably the lowest paid first graders as a group in the NRL. We need to get rid of:

Dufty
Aitken
Lafai

The problem is, that if we wanted to replace them with better players for 2020, there would be not enough cap space gained to do the job. To me it seems to me that most of our cap is taken up by our halves and forwards leaving no real way to address the problems we face with out back 5.

I have no doubt that Millward has got our salary cap situation in a mess. This together with stupid decisions made by management, may see us in a hole for a few years to come.

How did we get to be in this situation? SGI did not replace like with like transferring the cap space resulting from the loss of Dugan, Macdonald and Widdop to the halves and forwards.

Going through the top 17, it looks very clear to me that the team is out of balance when it comes to allocated salary cap:

Dufty - 250k - overpaid but way below the pay of a first grade fullback.
Saab - 150k - about right but way below the pay of a first grade winger.
Aitken - 350k - over paid but about right for an average first grade centre.
Lafai - 400k - overpaid but about right for an average first grade centre.
Lomax - 200k - about right but will need an upgrade to stay.
Pereira - 150k - about right for a reserve grade winger.
Pearson - 150k - about right for a reserve grade winger.
Ravalawa - 150k - about right for a reserve grade winger.

The only way forward is to substitute a poorly performing but highly paid player with a talented youg first grader. This is why we need to replace at least 3 of our back 5 with talented first grade players and fullback being a spine position needs to be replaced with a player far more expensive than the one we have.

So that is why I'd like to see Hunt released to play for the Broncos. No subsidy no compensation as like with B Morris, I'm sure both Hunt and the Broncos club would be very happy with this idea. Hunt's salary cap space to be use to fund the new fullback.

The only alternative would be to run with Lomax at fullback for 2020, drop Aitken to reserve grade and slot Ravalawa to right centre for 2020. Then look to see what happens with De Belin, Frizell and Leilua in regards to extension for 2021 and beyond.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Our team is out of balance salary cap wise. Our back five are probably the lowest paid first graders as a group in the NRL. We need to get rid of:

Dufty
Aitken
Lafai

The problem is, that if we wanted to replace them with better players for 2020, there would be not enough cap space gained to do the job. To me it seems to me that most of our cap is taken up by our halves and forwards leaving no real way to address the problems we face with out back 5.

I have no doubt that Millward has got our salary cap situation in a mess. This together with stupid decisions made by management, may see us in a hole for a few years to come.

How did we get to be in this situation? SGI did not replace like with like transferring the cap space resulting from the loss of Dugan, Macdonald and Widdop to the halves and forwards.

Going through the top 17, it looks very clear to me that the team is out of balance when it comes to allocated salary cap:

Dufty - 250k - overpaid but way below the pay of a first grade fullback.
Saab - 150k - about right but way below the pay of a first grade winger.
Aitken - 350k - over paid but about right for an average first grade centre.
Lafai - 400k - overpaid but about right for an average first grade centre.
Lomax - 200k - about right but will need an upgrade to stay.
Pereira - 150k - about right for a reserve grade winger.
Pearson - 150k - about right for a reserve grade winger.
Ravalawa - 150k - about right for a reserve grade winger.

The only way forward is to substitute a poorly performing but highly paid player with a talented youg first grader. This is why we need to replace at least 3 of our back 5 with talented first grade players and fullback being a spine position needs to be replaced with a player far more expensive than the one we have.

So that is why I'd like to see Hunt released to play for the Broncos. No subsidy no compensation as like with B Morris, I'm sure both Hunt and the Broncos club would be very happy with this idea. Hunt's salary cap space to be use to fund the new fullback.

The only alternative would be to run with Lomax at fullback for 2020, drop Aitken to reserve grade and slot Ravalawa to right centre for 2020. Then look to see what happens with De Belin, Frizell and Leilua in regards to extension for 2021 and beyond.
You're actually bonkers mate. Like 30 figures pulled out of your ass, not to mention apparently having a psychology degree to know what Hunt wants, and then the icing on the cake, thinking the Broncos can afford any decent halves right now when they can't even afford Brodie Croft from the Storm and being forced to take back Kahu because of a clause in his release

BLM01

First Grade
You're actually bonkers mate. Like 30 figures pulled out of your ass, not to mention apparently having a psychology degree to know what Hunt wants, and then the icing on the cake, thinking the Broncos can afford any decent halves right now when they can't even afford Brodie Croft from the Storm and being forced to take back Kahu because of a clause in his release
No its just the Utopian's. Everything happens as you wish in that town. Nothing is too hard and everything is possible and what is now history...can be rewritten.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I personally wouldn't want Mitchell, if I could have any unsigned centre in the NRL right at this moment I would go for Jack Wighton he's a superstar, all effort, strong fast can excel at any position in the backline. I hope he stays at the Raiders though I like what they are building there.