What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League clamps down on cannabis

The Colonel

Immortal
League clamps down on cannabis
By Barry Dick and Dean Ritchie
February 1, 2006

ELITE rugby league players caught using cannabis will be banned for up to two years in the code's first clampdown on recreational drugs.

The NRL, which previously adopted a controversially soft approach to drugs not considered performance-enhancing, will name players who test positive to cannabis on a world anti-drugs Internet "shame file".

NRL officials last night confirmed marijuana users in senior grades now faced a 12-month suspension for a first offence, while repeat offenders would be thrown out of the game for two years.

Until this year, NRL players testing positive to cannabis were ordered to attend club-sponsored counselling sessions but were not suspended.

The new hardline approach was forced on the NRL when it adopted the World Anti-Doping Authority drug policy under the threat of losing Federal Government funding.

"It is one of changes we have made in compliance with the WADA policy," NRL communications director John Brady said. "Anything that reminds players about the importance of avoiding drugs is a positive."

Former and current players were divided over the decision. "Marijuana is a performance-reducing drug. I don't know why they are testing for it," former Manly, New South Wales and Australia player Geoff Toovey said.

Former Australia captain Laurie Daley said: "I'm an advocate for zero tolerance when it comes to drugs. It is something we have to be vigilant on."

News Limited newspapers
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18004974-23214,00.html

skeepe

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Former and current players were divided over the decision. "Marijuana is a performance-reducing drug. I don't know why they are testing for it," former Manly, New South Wales and Australia player Geoff Toovey said.

Perhaps because it's illegal? Toovs should have a good hard look at himself if he thinks it's ok to use illicit drugs.

Stagger eel

Staff member

One word Mr Toovey!!!...IMAGE!!! learn it.

Fantastic idea, I totally support it league has enough problems if we can eradicate drug users then I am sure we may have a few less.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Sir Knight82 said:
Fantastic idea, I totally support it league has enough problems if we can eradicate drug users then I am sure we may have a few less.

it is a great idea, my concern is will all our young players get the message?

Thomas

First Grade
Any players that use marijuana are a bit stupid anyway....it stays in your system for up to a month and is still detectable in a urine test.

Ecstacy and speed however pass through your system in about 40 hours or so....

eelavation said:
it is a great idea, my concern is will all our young players get the message?

If they see a few first graders get ousted because of this new rule, then if they are dumb enough not to then they are no great loss lol.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Sir Knight82 said:
If they see a few first graders get ousted because of this new rule, then if they are dumb enough not to then they are no great loss lol.

ok, then I'll ask you this, should there be, say, a 2 strike system for younger players???...I mean to be fairdinkum, the younger you are the less wise and mature you are and your more vulnerable and naive about drugs or should an example from the first idiot that tests positive?

hrundi99

First Grade
eelavation said:
ok, then I'll ask you this, should there be, say, a 2 strike system for younger players???...I mean to be fairdinkum, the younger you are the less wise and mature you are and your more vulnerable and naive about drugs or should an example from the first idiot that tests positive?

Rubbish. They know it's illegal, and if nothing else their parents have probably told them it's bad as well.

No excuses.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
hmmmm my question is whether a high profile rep player would be banned if caught out or would it be swept under the carpet....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pierced Soul said:
hmmmm my question is whether a high profile rep player would be banned if caught out or would it be swept under the carpet....

I'd say if there was evidence that a club has swept a positive test under the carpet it'll be the biggest scandal since coffs, in terms of publicity given this news release by the NRL

Thomas

First Grade
Its not like they are going to have bucket bongs and go out and have a blinder, are they?

What a player does in the privacy of his own home should be his own business. A 2 year ban for smoking the reefer.......the latest stats show that a huge % of aussies have tried it.

Green Machine

First Grade
Former Australia captain Laurie Daley said: "I'm an advocate for zero tolerance when it comes to drugs. It is something we have to be vigilant on."
I remember when Laurie Daley got involve with an incident between Ben Kennedy and Brandon Costin. It pissed Kennedy off and he went to Newcastle and they won the comp. Somehow we kept Costin. Great work from Laurie

macavity

Referee
absolutely positively rediculous. Its illegality is a joke and this approach is a joke.

should they get a 2 year ban for drinking alcohol as well?