What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League players and the Comm/Olympic Games

This assessment was by no means unanimous. There are many better backs than Lote & he could only play the one position.

Bollocks. In Australia he was considered one of the best wingers for many years.

In Europe, towards the end of his career, he was extremely highly regarded by Rugby fans. Leicester were disappointed to see him go, as there was much talk that Lote had found his form and was the Lote of old.

Lote was so much better than his opposites in Rugby that even in terrible form(2006-2007) he remained his place on the wing :lol:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
It just grates me how insane some of these Union trolls are, even lying at times.

Most Sevens players are amateurs who are thrust into their national team with no prior experience. If bloody Miles Craigwell and Leonard Peters are good enough for the US team(who really aren't that bad) then Hayne will walk into a Sevens team.

Short of a player going on to Lomu-esque legend I don't think a League player will be ever accepted as successful by Rugby.

In a sad way it shows how little Rugby fans think of their own game. That they consider players from another sport moving to Rugby with no experience, becoming great Pro player and often getting international reps. If that's not success it says a lot about Rugby, doesn't it :shock:

I agree, any NRL side would have no problem winning against these club union no bodies.

If they put their best forward from world wide, it may become interesting (may).

Im not sure a team of NRL elite would beat the NZ 7's team from the Comm games it would be great to see!!!! Given time to learn the ins & outs of the sport there's no doubt the NRL boys have all the skill and physical attributes to win. However the bulk of that NZ team are ITM cup players that don't even have Super 14 contracts they play mainly the 7's World tour, there are 3 frindge All Blacks in that squad, so I guess the bigger ??? would be, how would they go playing the best NZ players All Blacks included?

Mate, you wouldn't ened the NRL elite to beat the NZ 7's team. You could be a team entirely of NZ eligible NRL players and they would beat NZ at sevens.

You have to remember most Sevens players are bums. The NZ sevens team would get destroyed by the best Union Kiwis, but they can't be arsed with sevens.

If you were to put together a NZ SEvens teams of the best players from either code I dare say that only 1 or 2 players at best from the current NZ team would keep their spots.

typicalfan

Coach
It just grates me how insane some of these Union trolls are, even lying at times.

Most Sevens players are amateurs who are thrust into their national team with no prior experience. If bloody Miles Craigwell and Leonard Peters are good enough for the US team(who really aren't that bad) then Hayne will walk into a Sevens team.

Short of a player going on to Lomu-esque legend I don't think a League player will be ever accepted as successful by Rugby.

In a sad way it shows how little Rugby fans think of their own game. That they consider players from another sport moving to Rugby with no experience, becoming great Pro player and often getting international reps. If that's not success it says a lot about Rugby, doesn't it :shock:
Exactly. Tuqiri played 7 less tests than Stirling Mortlock, a Wallaby captain. Tuqiri never had a noted kicking game or passing game and his goalkicking stunk, he still managed what would be considered a long career for the Wallabies. Sailor was even worse and yet he played many tests as well.

And the most press Rogers got was through his injuries which he had a lot of but still played over 40 tests.

And Rogers was a great player, highly regarded by even the most anti-League crowds.

Look at SBW. Union fans want you to believe that they know more than all coaches in Rugby and that no League players deserved their success.

What's funny is that these are just the high profile ones. There are so many League players tearing up in pro Rugby.

Kemp-signs-with-Warriors-6065445.jpg

An elite Sevens player......................................

LOL

typicalfan

Coach
And Rogers was a great player, highly regarded by even the most anti-League crowds.

Look at SBW. Union fans want you to believe that they know more than all coaches in Rugby and that no League players deserved their success.

What's funny is that these are just the high profile ones. There are so many League players tearing up in pro Rugby.
Tana Umaga is the one that upsets them as well. Junior Kiwi becomes all black legend.

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade
Bullshit mate. You seem to forget that many Sevens players walk into the game with no previous experience all the time. Lomu is a great example.

Sevens doesn't take time to learn. Give someone like Hayne the ball and he would savage the opposition.

Nobody could handle Hayne. Too big, too fast, too strong. And has superior everything to most Sevens players.

What a load of horse shit... the best 7s teams dont have players "who just walk in".. And Lomu was in the 7s before it was pro... times have changed now.. Hayne would be no better than Lote was.. and i like your caveat "most sevens players"... so you are saying he wouldnt be better than all now?

Gaz was very highly regarded in Europe. f**k. Do you even watch the Top 14? Gaz was one of the best wingers in the competition, scoring 10 tries in 26 games and taking to the game immediately.

He was absolutely Wallabies standard and were he to play Super Rugby he'd have surely been selected.
Highly regarderd? he was a good player, nothing more... according to the muppets on here he should have been the best centre/winger in the world.. didnt happen did it... why is that? shouldnt he have instantly been the best?

Farrell was about 84. Only a Union fan would say "herp derp, we put a pensioner who was crap in his last days of League straight into the England set up"

The fact he got anywhere near the team is a travesty in itself and shows just how poor English rugby is. Saracens even made him a co-captain!

And what is Farrell doing now? Coaching at the Saracens with only 20 games of Rugby under his belt!!!!!

:crazy::crazy::crazy:
He was crap at Rugby and no he shouldnt have been anywhere near a test team... the fact he was so poor proves that... they picked him on reputation and he was aweful... dumped him and they made the final and now England have two ex League players in their team and the lost in the qtrs... shouldnt they have won?

The argument isnt about the US national team its about the best 7's teams... and there arent any "amateurs" in the top teams, hayne wouldnt "walk" into the top teams.

Thats garbage, complete bullshit... Umaga, Weepu, Thorn, Robbinson, Ashton have all be "accepted" as more than succcessful

Success is relative... according to those on here League players are so much better... if that is the case how come so few have ever been the best in the world at the position they play? of all the League converts only

I agree, any NRL side would have no problem winning against these club union no bodies.

If they put their best forward from world wide, it may become interesting (may).
Bullshit.. its opinion based on no history.. the only ex league player to make a national 7s team didnt help them to win anything.

Mate, you wouldn't ened the NRL elite to beat the NZ 7's team. You could be a team entirely of NZ eligible NRL players and they would beat NZ at sevens.

You have to remember most Sevens players are bums. The NZ sevens team would get destroyed by the best Union Kiwis, but they can't be arsed with sevens.

If you were to put together a NZ SEvens teams of the best players from either code I dare say that only 1 or 2 players at best from the current NZ team would keep their spots.
Again you are talking shit... there is absolutely no proof of that... Lote didnt help the Aussie team win anything, by your rekoning they should have walked in the gold medal.

Tana Umaga is the one that upsets them as well. Junior Kiwi becomes all black legend.
Upsets who? Tana is revered in NZ.. nobody is upset he played Junior League.

What a load of horse shit... the best 7s teams dont have players "who just walk in".. And Lomu was in the 7s before it was pro... times have changed now.. Hayne would be no better than Lote was.. and i like your caveat "most sevens players"... so you are saying he wouldnt be better than all now?

No, I doubt he would be better than all, at least not to start with, and time certainly isn't on his side. But I guarantee to you that every Sevens team on earth would find space for Hayne. You know it and I know it.

Also, Hayne is much better than Lote, so yes he would be better than Lote... More importantly though, you mentioned Lote as if he wasn't that good - Mate, he was Australia's best winger for about 5 years! He was revered by Waratahs fans. Hayne would be a gun winger, far better than Lote, which speaks volumes as Lote was an awesome winger with the Waratahs, and even Leicester.

Highly regarderd? he was a good player, nothing more... according to the muppets on here he should have been the best centre/winger in the world.. didnt happen did it... why is that? shouldnt he have instantly been the best?

I don't know, I can't speak for other people. Gasnier WAS highly regarded and was more than a good player, he was a gun winger for Stade and became a go-to-man of sorts. There is no question that he'd be candidate for the Wallabies were he to return home to play his trade in Super Rugby.

NO question. Stade is one of the best domestic teams in the world of Rugby. At the time, quite arguably better than any of the Aus teams in the then S14. Do you even watch European Rugby?

He was crap at Rugby and no he shouldnt have been anywhere near a test team... the fact he was so poor proves that... they picked him on reputation and he was aweful... dumped him and they made the final and now England have two ex League players in their team and the lost in the qtrs... shouldnt they have won?

That's not entirely true. You're right in that he wasn't picked on any sort of Rugby ability, but popularity didn't win him a place. He was picked for his leadership, and his semi-captaincy and current position at the Saracens is evidence to the leadership he offered - Despite being crap.

You seem to be arguing he was some sort of weak link responsible for Englands poor performance in the group stages - Absolute hogwash. With or without Farrell England would have performed poorly in the group stages and well in the finals.

I also have no idea what you're trying to imply with your reference to the current world cup. Ashton was and IS, right now, one of Englands best players. Hapes was and still IS one of Englands best centers.

I'm not following your argument by mentioning them? That would be like me mentioning SBW in relation to the AB's, as if to somehow imply he's the reason for their success. It's bollocks and you know it.

The argument isnt about the US national team its about the best 7's teams... and there arent any "amateurs" in the top teams, hayne wouldnt "walk" into the top teams.

Hayne would WALK into any Sevens team he wanted to. Fiji, England, NZ, Samoa - He'd walk into them all.

And while the argument might now be about the US national team, the US national team is relevant. Several people have argued Sevens have some sort of otherworldly type demand for stamina... BULLSHIT.

The NFL dropouts who walked into the US sevens set up, and continue to do so, are proof that it's nothing more than a myth.

Sevens is a game for fringe professionals and athletes, by in large. Hayne, like any number of backs in League or Union, would walk into a national Sevens teams.

Thats garbage, complete bullshit... Umaga, Weepu, Thorn, Robbinson, Ashton have all be "accepted" as more than succcessful

Umaga and Weepu are denied to be League players. Most don't know Thorns league background, either.

The real test will be when these people are no longer playing. Tuqiri, Sailor, Rogers were all rated highly while playing. When they retired out came the calls that weren't that good.

The fact is known League players are always put down in Rugby and have to do more than anyone else to get any sort of praise. You only have to read comments from Rugby fans about SBW for the last few years.

You can't call bullshit because you're testament to my argument. You're on here acting like 100's of League players didn't walk into Rugby over the last few years.

Success is relative... according to those on here League players are so much better... if that is the case how come so few have ever been the best in the world at the position they play? of all the League converts only

Well the best is subjective, being better is subjective, everything is subjective. Rugby fans amongst themselves can't even agree who's best. Team and nationals bias always gets in the way.

While many League players might not be the best, it's unquestionable that many are AMONGST the best.

Bullshit.. its opinion based on no history.. the only ex league player to make a national 7s team didnt help them to win anything.

Again you are talking shit... there is absolutely no proof of that... Lote didnt help the Aussie team win anything, by your rekoning they should have walked in the gold medal.

Lote is a f**king winger. Rugby is won in the forwards, always. A League player will never carry a Rugby team to anything. A League player can help to capitalise on the back of great forwards(Robinson, Tuqiri). They can never carry a team. Ever.

Also 15's is a completely different game to Sevens. I would never say a League player, or 30 of them, would make a world-class 15's team, because it's fantasy.

But Sevens is a different game, and despite your code bias anyone with even the slightest understanding of Sevens knows that by in large it's a game for up and comers or those who were once on the up, but failed to crack 15's all together.

I understand where you are mate. You're a big Rugby fan and you're arguing with a bunch of merkins who can't accept anything that's good or better about Rugby. And equally I spend my time on your side of the argument, but you are wrong in this case. Sevens is not 15's. Many gun League backs, as with many gun Rugby(15's) backs, would walk into their national Sevens teams. You must know it, be reasonable for a second.

Upsets who? Tana is revered in NZ.. nobody is upset he played Junior League.

Most Rugby fans deny he's a League boy. NZ is not the world.

Te Kaha is case in point of the irrational Rugby fan. He seems to think every good League player should not only play well and hold their own, but take all their teams to premierships or international glory.

A player cannot carry a team! Just because Team X doesn't win with League Player Y doesn't mean team player Y isn't that good. I thought the whole argument by Ruggers was that it's a team game, not an individual game. But when a League player excells in a team that loses you want to act like the individual is responsible.

Cut it out.

The real problem is idiots from both sides. Te Kaha seems to think that by presenting facts and realities that happen to reflect well on League, that I'm some sort of idiot Rugby hater.

But yet I could name plenty of Rugby players tearing it up in League, or who would tear it up in League, and he'd be on my side slapping my arse and egging me on.

It's not that what I'm saying about Sevens, Rugby or League is wrong, it's that he perceives me to be some Rugby hating League bogan. And the reverse is true.

I fancy it's a bit like a family stoush. I might say X or Y about my brother, but if you say X or Y about my brother I'll put one on your chin.

I doubt those on the side of Rugby in this thread actually believe their own nonsense. They just don't like League fans saying it, and boasting about it, while putting Rugby down.

Because what you actually find is that fans from both sports give each other due credit. Many Rugby fans accept the qualities of League boys, and many League fans appreciate Rugby players...... But when a League fan hypes the qualities of League, the Rugby fans who underneath agree, grab their pitch forks. And when a Rugby fan comes on here hyping up gun Rugby players, we grab our pitchforks.

It's all fallacy. Te Kaha issue isn't with what's being said, it's with who's saying it - League fans. Don't shoot the messenger broseph, I'm unarmed

Loudstrat

Coach
I love how half man half Corriedale Union worshipper Te Nutter bases his pro Yawnion rants on the fact that the 3 poached wingers were not the "best in the world".

What about the fact that they were ALL signed to play for the Wallabies?

What about the fact that they were all wingers - and there can only be one "best" - unless you are claiming it was a three way tie for second behind Jason "I cannot score a try for GB" Robinson :lol:

What about the rubbish about not winning any global tournaments therefore proving they were crap? Listen sunshine, who was better: Keith Barnes or John Rheinberger?

No, you're missing the point Masoe.

Te Kaha is mental.

Seriously.

He's one ewe-knockback away from going Hoddle St somewhere in the Shaky Isles. Actually, it'll be in Auckland where those nasty Leaguies are...

I love how half man half Corriedale Union worshipper Te Nutter bases his pro Yawnion rants on the fact that the 3 poached wingers were not the "best in the world".

What about the fact that they were all wingers - and there can only be one "best" - unless you are claiming it was a three way tie for second behind Jason "I cannot score a try for GB" Robinson :lol:

What about the rubbish about not winning any global tournaments therefore proving they were crap? Listen sunshine, who was better: Keith Barnes or John Rheinberger?

I'd imagine if Tuqiri, Sailor and Rogers had played for the All Blacks, his line of comments would have been different.

I watched a bit of Union after they swapped codes to see how they went. Tuqiri and Sailor for the most part should have been give a vest and a cup of hot coffee.

The problem for them wasn't that they weren't the best, the problem was the useless gumbies inside them that thought giving them the pill was only a good idea once or twice per game.

Te Kaha

First Grade
No, I doubt he would be better than all, at least not to start with, and time certainly isn't on his side. But I guarantee to you that every Sevens team on earth would find space for Hayne. You know it and I know it.
Thats garbage... you are basing that on opinion... NO league player has walked into a 7s team and dominated, Lote couldnt do it and Hayne wouldnt either... given enough time to adapt and i would have no doubt that he would be a star, but having him walk in without ever playing and he would fail.

Also, Hayne is much better than Lote, so yes he would be better than Lote... More importantly though, you mentioned Lote as if he wasn't that good - Mate, he was Australia's best winger for about 5 years! He was revered by Waratahs fans. Hayne would be a gun winger, far better than Lote, which speaks volumes as Lote was an awesome winger with the Waratahs, and even Leicester.
All completely irrelevant in relation to how good he was at 7s... he may have been the best winger in Aussie for five years but e couldnt dominate in 7s.. he tried.. it didnt work.

I don't know, I can't speak for other people. Gasnier WAS highly regarded and was more than a good player, he was a gun winger for Stade and became a go-to-man of sorts. There is no question that he'd be candidate for the Wallabies were he to return home to play his trade in Super Rugby.
so now he is a "candidate"... according to this thread he would have had a walk up start in the wannabies... so you are saying they are wrong now?

NO question. Stade is one of the best domestic teams in the world of Rugby. At the time, quite arguably better than any of the Aus teams in the then S14. Do you even watch European Rugby?
"Arguably"... based on what? when they played against each other? thats another subjective argument... based on internationals between the SH and France at that time... you could argue French Rugby isnt that good.

That's not entirely true. You're right in that he wasn't picked on any sort of Rugby ability, but popularity didn't win him a place. He was picked for his leadership, and his semi-captaincy and current position at the Saracens is evidence to the leadership he offered - Despite being crap.
And what happened? they were slaughtered... he shouldnt have been picked.

You seem to be arguing he was some sort of weak link responsible for Englands poor performance in the group stages - Absolute hogwash. With or without Farrell England would have performed poorly in the group stages and well in the finals.
Says who? he wasnt the sole reason for their thrashing.. but he was one of them.. he should never have been picked.

I also have no idea what you're trying to imply with your reference to the current world cup. Ashton was and IS, right now, one of Englands best players. Hapes was and still IS one of Englands best centers.
Im saying that ex-League players are no better or no worse than Rugby players.

I'm not following your argument by mentioning them? That would be like me mentioning SBW in relation to the AB's, as if to somehow imply he's the reason for their success. It's bollocks and you know it.
Of course its bollox... but you are already saying League players are better.. they arent... some are good, some are great and some are crap... same as Rugby players.

Hayne would WALK into any Sevens team he wanted to. Fiji, England, NZ, Samoa - He'd walk into them all.

And while the argument might now be about the US national team, the US national team is relevant. Several people have argued Sevens have some sort of otherworldly type demand for stamina... BULLSHIT.

The NFL dropouts who walked into the US sevens set up, and continue to do so, are proof that it's nothing more than a myth.

Sevens is a game for fringe professionals and athletes, by in large. Hayne, like any number of backs in League or Union, would walk into a national Sevens teams.
Then how come they havent? why was the gold medal winning NZ team picked almost exclusively from the players who play it full time?

Umaga and Weepu are denied to be League players. Most don't know Thorns league background, either.
Thats a blatent lie... almost everytime Weepu and Thorn have been in the media their background is mentioned... and never in a negative way.. Umaga was the same.. you would be hard pressed to find any Rugby "fan" in NZ who doesnt know all three played League..

The real test will be when these people are no longer playing. Tuqiri, Sailor, Rogers were all rated highly while playing. When they retired out came the calls that weren't that good.
Completely irrelevant to this thread... there are always idiots who say that... same as there are idiots who say Rugby players havent and wouldnt make good or great League players.. this thread is full of those.

The fact is known League players are always put down in Rugby and have to do more than anyone else to get any sort of praise. You only have to read comments from Rugby fans about SBW for the last few years.
On this board there was a thread about SBW when he signed with the NZRU, almost all one eyed "League" fans said he would walk in, be a starting All Black and be their best player, based soley on the fact he was a great league player... this year those fans shut up.. he has been better than a lot of players but no where near the best and cant demand a starting spot.

You can't call bullshit because you're testament to my argument. You're on here acting like 100's of League players didn't walk into Rugby over the last few years.
No dumbarse.. i am arguing that League players make good League players and Rugby players make good Rugby players and anybody who says one could cross codes and dominate that code with no experience is delusional.

Well the best is subjective, being better is subjective, everything is subjective. Rugby fans amongst themselves can't even agree who's best. Team and nationals bias always gets in the way.

While many League players might not be the best, it's unquestionable that many are AMONGST the best.
Of course they are... if you are among the best league players chances are you will be among the Best Rugby players... given time... and the same goes the other way.... im am arging against the mistaken belief prevalent on this board that League players switching codes are instantly the best Rugby players alive.

Lote is a f**king winger. Rugby is won in the forwards, always. A League player will never carry a Rugby team to anything. A League player can help to capitalise on the back of great forwards(Robinson, Tuqiri). They can never carry a team. Ever.
In 7s the forward battle isnt as important... since he was a top League player, under your beliefs, he should have dominated the comm games.. he didnt.

Also 15's is a completely different game to Sevens. I would never say a League player, or 30 of them, would make a world-class 15's team, because it's fantasy.
Seems not many on this board agree with you.

But Sevens is a different game, and despite your code bias anyone with even the slightest understanding of Sevens knows that by in large it's a game for up and comers or those who were once on the up, but failed to crack 15's all together.
Thats bullshit...

I understand where you are mate. You're a big Rugby fan and you're arguing with a bunch of merkins who can't accept anything that's good or better about Rugby. And equally I spend my time on your side of the argument, but you are wrong in this case. Sevens is not 15's. Many gun League backs, as with many gun Rugby(15's) backs, would walk into their national Sevens teams. You must know it, be reasonable for a second.
In most national squads in the world.. but not the best ones.

Most Rugby fans deny he's a League boy. NZ is not the world.
He was a NZer it doesnt matter what the rest of the world think, his background has never been seen as anything other than a positive.

Te Kaha is case in point of the irrational Rugby fan. He seems to think every good League player should not only play well and hold their own, but take all their teams to premierships or international glory.
No you dumbarse.. i am argung exactly the other way round.

A player cannot carry a team! Just because Team X doesn't win with League Player Y doesn't mean team player Y isn't that good. I thought the whole argument by Ruggers was that it's a team game, not an individual game. But when a League player excells in a team that loses you want to act like the individual is responsible.

Cut it out.
dont talk crap i didnt say any such thing.

The real problem is idiots from both sides. Te Kaha seems to think that by presenting facts and realities that happen to reflect well on League, that I'm some sort of idiot Rugby hater.

But yet I could name plenty of Rugby players tearing it up in League, or who would tear it up in League, and he'd be on my side slapping my arse and egging me on.

It's not that what I'm saying about Sevens, Rugby or League is wrong, it's that he perceives me to be some Rugby hating League bogan. And the reverse is true.

I fancy it's a bit like a family stoush. I might say X or Y about my brother, but if you say X or Y about my brother I'll put one on your chin.

I doubt those on the side of Rugby in this thread actually believe their own nonsense. They just don't like League fans saying it, and boasting about it, while putting Rugby down.

Because what you actually find is that fans from both sports give each other due credit. Many Rugby fans accept the qualities of League boys, and many League fans appreciate Rugby players...... But when a League fan hypes the qualities of League, the Rugby fans who underneath agree, grab their pitch forks. And when a Rugby fan comes on here hyping up gun Rugby players, we grab our pitchforks.

It's all fallacy. Te Kaha issue isn't with what's being said, it's with who's saying it - League fans. Don't shoot the messenger broseph, I'm unarmed
What a load of drivel... that is a complete fabrication.

Te Kaha

First Grade

Your entire argument is saying League players would be the best in the world at Rugby... they would convert and instantly be better than any other rugby player... it hasnt happened before so your entire argument has no more substance than the shit you roll around in everyday.

No, you're missing the point Masoe.

Te Kaha is mental.

Seriously.

He's one ewe-knockback away from going Hoddle St somewhere in the Shaky Isles. Actually, it'll be in Auckland where those nasty Leaguies are...
Oh look the " I wont support wests if they sign lote" flipflopper is back....

I'd imagine if Tuqiri, Sailor and Rogers had played for the All Blacks, his line of comments would have been different.

I watched a bit of Union after they swapped codes to see how they went. Tuqiri and Sailor for the most part should have been give a vest and a cup of hot coffee.

The problem for them wasn't that they weren't the best, the problem was the useless gumbies inside them that thought giving them the pill was only a good idea once or twice per game.

The differnce is that they wouldnt have played for the All Blacks... unlike the idiots at the ARU, the NZRU didnt bother raiding League ranks for players, they relyed on thier own players... and still beat the Wannabies with those League players in the team.

Latest posts