What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League players and the Comm/Olympic Games

Perth Red

Post Whore
no reason why the RLIF shouldn;t be campaigning for a RL9's in the C'wealth games (except we no longer generally play RL 9's). Most of the countries playing in the WC would be eligible.

skeepe

Immortal
You mean those same league players that were hopeless in union?

Wendell Sailor:lol:
Matt Rogers :lol:
Lote Tuquri:lol:
Timana Tahu:lol:

If you had added Nathan Blacklock and Ryan McGoldrick to that list in place Rogers and Tuqiri, you would have been a lot closer to being right.

gUt

Coach
I thought professional athletes were not allowed to compete in any case? Unless that's changed.

League players are slow coaches compared to some of these speedsters in rugby 7's,your kidding yourself if you don't think players like Inglis and Hayne would get owned,they would just run around them with pure ease.

Next please.

Watching the Union now. Inglis and Hayne would tear these pretenders to shreds. A bunch of slow pokes that the 15 a side game rejected.

Dragons_#1

Bench
Watching the Union now. Inglis and Hayne would tear these pretenders to shreds. A bunch of slow pokes that the 15 a side game rejected.

No way in the world would Inglis tear these guys to shreads, remember most these guys can tackle one on one and tackle the legs no matter how big they are.. Hayne was meant to be the fastest league player?? Turner beat him... Turner gets caught in the 7's and sometimes easily...

Australia could send alot better side in the 7's but most of the guys who play are 7's players only and are conditioned to play such events!

Doomednow

Bench
FTR Hayne wasn't considered the fastest league player. He was sent on that run because he's a household name and he was available. But you still may be right.

shiznit

Coach
ive been harping on about this for awhile...

as far as i can see it.... the IRB & the local RU's shouldn't have any say in the selection of the squads.

it should come down solely to the local Olympic Committee.

i could see a lot of the smaller island nations use RL players... PNG & Tonga especially.

also... ive had a conspiracy theory that Jarryd Hayne's contract was timed to coincide with the olympics. i get the feeling that when Jarryd Hayne's contract is up at the end of 2015... Jarryd Hayne will be about 27/28 probably coming to the peak of his career. i reckon he may sign with the Fijian RU to play 7's.

he would have the summer on the 7's circuit for a true 7's powerhouse in Fiji and could get an olympic gold medal.

he could be back in RL by mid august.

and just on 7's... its actually not as much about speed as you think. its more about fitness, defense & the ability to retain possession.

look at the best 7's sides... they only really have 1 or 2 genuine speedsters. you still have play makers and grafters. there just fit as f**k.

Knownothing

Juniors
I would imagine that Michael O'Connor would be very interested in any NRL player who is willing to play the IRB Sevens circuit. However, Australian Sevens players only earn about $80k for the season, which is why most of them are 18 or 19 years old, working towards getting senior contracts.

It would be wonderful to see a player like Hayne in a Fijian Sevens team.

Big Mick

Referee
Is the Shaun Foley in the Australian team the one who played reggies for Easts around 2006? He played about half a dozen or so games at fullback in the NRL, went alright from memory.

Yep.

Was an Australian Schoolboys Union player before joining Easts.

skeepe

Immortal
ive been harping on about this for awhile...

as far as i can see it.... the IRB & the local RU's shouldn't have any say in the selection of the squads.

it should come down solely to the local Olympic Committee.

i could see a lot of the smaller island nations use RL players... PNG & Tonga especially.

also... ive had a conspiracy theory that Jarryd Hayne's contract was timed to coincide with the olympics. i get the feeling that when Jarryd Hayne's contract is up at the end of 2015... Jarryd Hayne will be about 27/28 probably coming to the peak of his career. i reckon he may sign with the Fijian RU to play 7's.

he would have the summer on the 7's circuit for a true 7's powerhouse in Fiji and could get an olympic gold medal.

he could be back in RL by mid august.

and just on 7's... its actually not as much about speed as you think. its more about fitness, defense & the ability to retain possession.

look at the best 7's sides... they only really have 1 or 2 genuine speedsters. you still have play makers and grafters. there just fit as f**k.

Only one problem with your theory.... 7's isn't an Olympic sport.

Slackboy72

Coach
Oh god. This isn't quite up with the 50/50 or big faces but we have an honourable mention for the stupidest comments thread.