What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Least Enjoyed Grand Final

Kiwi

First Grade
2000 I think people are saying more because of the 2 teams involved. It was actually a good game. Those tackles Phillips pulled off on Thorn and Tuqiri were absolute rippers.

2004 gets my vote. It was very scrappy. Even though I hated both teams from this game, I still expected a good game and was bitterly disappointed.

Daize said:
Definately 2000. Although 1993 was over even before the dragons took the field.

Actually in 1993 Dragons were favourites in some markets and had Beaten the Broncos at ANZ late in the season. 92 they were never rated much of a hope.

However they did play awwwwful, no poke what-so-ever.

I remember a stat the following monday which measured crowd noise throughout the 93 GF. The highest noise reading was at half time when they brought the olympic flag out, followed by when the players came out for the game. That tells a tale...

*Paul*

Juniors
Dragon_psa said:
1996 - not because my boys lost (that team did astoundingly well to get there in the first place!) but because it was such a dour and boring game.
I'm a half-Manly fan, not only was that forgettably dull, all I could think of afterward, was not so much "Yay, we won" but "Why isn't it two in a row".

So it's a premiership, but almost a disappointment, as it should have been the middle of hat-trick.

Kiwi said:
2000 I think people are saying more because of the 2 teams involved. It was actually a good game. Those tackles Phillips pulled off on Thorn and Tuqiri were absolute rippers.

The Grand Final of 2000 would have to be the only time where a grand final was not sold out. I remember seeing the Southern End Stand (purpose built for the olympics) had at least 8 rows of vacant seats at the very back.

Can anyone else remember when a GF wasn't sold out???

thickos

First Grade
There was more than 8 rows of empty seats mate - wasn't the crowd like 91 000 for a 110 000 seat stadium back then?

*Paul*

Juniors
Bring back John Fifita said:
Can anyone else remember when a GF wasn't sold out???
No others since moving to the smaller SFS in 1988, I shouldn't think.

However, if you look at some of the crowds in the SCG days, they vary from year to year. e.g. 1975 - 63K, 1977 - 65K, but 1976 only 57K.
1986 - 45K (pretty sure the capacity had been reduced by then), 1987 - 50K. So something was not quite right.

*Paul*

Juniors
thickos said:
There was more than 8 rows of empty seats mate - wasn't the crowd like 91 000 for a 110 000 seat stadium back then?
94000, there were quite a few empty seats to my right, slightly disappointing, as another out of towner had managed to fill it the previous year.

in order, my fave grand finals from when i started watching in 88:

93 (The only grand final the broncos have been in where they werent faves and we won)
92 (The start of a bronco dynasty)
98 (The greatest ever team on show)
2000 (solid defence, Broncos 5th)
97 (SL) (didnt have the feel as other gfs but broncos won)
2003 (what a great gf, go panthers)
91 (another great fairytale gf, go royce simmons)
99 (mega controversy)
89 (Great game between 2 dud teams)
88 (i barely understood the game but i already hated balmain so good to see them lose)
95 (i used to like canterbury back then so it was cool)
02 (Tight first half, then route 2nd half)
94 (crap grand final, f**k raiders
90 (Good GF but raiders beat panthers :()
96 (what a dud gf)
04 (boring, man that gf sucked)
97 (SL) (Total lameness the mickey mouse gf, f**k the knights)
01 (i never thought id support parra, and they choked hardcore, f**k the knights)

thickos said:

Yeah, probably, was but I was pissed at a pub in Braidwood when i was watching it.

I Knew it was atleast 8 and now that I think of it it was probably more like 15-20, and that was the southern stand alone, didnt see the north end.

In any case it was disappointing to see, and the game itself didn't impress either.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
Yeah, probably, was but I was pissed at a pub in Braidwood when i was watching it.

I Knew it was atleast 8 and now that I think of it it was probably more like 15-20, and that was the southern stand alone, didnt see the north end.

In any case it was disappointing to see, and the game itself didn't impress either.

one of the ends was not allowed any people as the contraption for the olympic flame was there.
IT was a virtual sell out.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Timbo said:

I hope you mean most heartbreaking.

My Panthers support not withstanding that was a very exciting grand final. Some great defence by the Raiders to deny us from taking the lead for as long as they did. Meninga's tackle on Barwick was indicative of the great man's courage.

But the Raiders could deny Roycey that day :p

Most Boring??

The 1995 and 96 grand finals are very unmemorable and the 93 and 2000 gf wins by the Broncos were snoozefests.

legend

Coach
Daytime grand finals are crap. Whenever there is a night grand final, you are assured of a sellout.

Pennywisealfie, some of your claims are a bit absurd. How was 89 a game between two dud teams? Both Balmain and Canberra were packed full of internationals and Origin stars and it was a monumental battle.

As for the 98 Broncos, the 94 Raiders were a much better team IMO. Broncos had a better front row but Canberra had the Broncos in every other position, even then our front row was made up of two internationals at the time and had Lomax played, make that three.

We had:

Mullins
Nagas
Wiki
Meninga
Daley
Stuart
Clyde
Furner
Croker
Walters
Pongia
Nadruku

Who did Brisbane have? John Plath!

Charlie Saab said:
one of the ends was not allowed any people as the contraption for the olympic flame was there.
IT was a virtual sell out.

The olympic flame was at the Northern End. I didn't see how many vacancies were there if any, But the southern end had plenty of room.

pantherz9103

First Grade
pennywisealfie said:
in order, my fave grand finals from when i started watching in 88:

93 (The only grand final the broncos have been in where they werent faves and we won)
92 (The start of a bronco dynasty)
98 (The greatest ever team on show)
2000 (solid defence, Broncos 5th)
97 (SL) (didnt have the feel as other gfs but broncos won)
2003 (what a great gf, go panthers)
91 (another great fairytale gf, go royce simmons)
99 (mega controversy)
89 (Great game between 2 dud teams)

95 (i used to like canterbury back then so it was cool)
02 (Tight first half, then route 2nd half)
94 (crap grand final, f**k raiders
90 (Good GF but raiders beat panthers :()
96 (what a dud gf)
04 (boring, man that gf sucked)
97 (SL) (Total lameness the mickey mouse gf, f**k the knights)
01 (i never thought id support parra, and they choked hardcore, f**k the knights)

Two dud teams? Wtf. Belcher, Chicka Ferguson, Mal, Lozza, Sticky, Lazzo, Walters, Clyde v likes of Elias, Roach, Sironen, Freeman, Jack, Brasher. How can they be dud teams :? I've been following since 1988 as well and that gf is still the best non penrith gf there has been
88 (i barely understood the game but i already hated balmain so good to see them lose)

pantherz9103

First Grade
Kiwi said:

2004 gets my vote. It was very scrappy. Even though I hated both teams from this game, I still expected a good game and was bitterly disappointed.

No not because of the two teams involved. Because of the ridiculous unlimited interchange rule at the time and the boring bash and barge style of play. It was too much of a grinding affair and too defence dominated. The Broncos only won 14-6 but never looked like losing.

Rammo

Juniors
2000 was dull because everyone was anticipating the olympics and noone gave a toss about footy that year, Broncos V Roosters, very dull game.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Easily the worst grand final I've ever seen was 2000. f**king boring by even regular standards, and down right pathetic for a grand final.

Latest posts