What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leilua Brothers

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would have preferred that we kept Leilua and used the Merrin money to buy is brother. If De Belin does not get through this challenges, then recruit Merrin with De Belin salary cap.
I would have preferred that scenario too, but I think we used the Luciano Leilua money to buy Merrin.

possm

Coach
You think paying players 400K a season to play at another club is good cap management?
OK then!
Not really but it is good roster management when you have a player who is superior and likely to occupy his position in first grade.

Now if Aitken and Lafai were dropped to CC early in 2019 and told that they are no longer needed in first grade, you can bet their managers would have them seeking a release from the Dragons thus freeing up some cap space to buy first grade centres. As it is we have two duds centres in first grade and have recruited two centres of unknown quality to back them up. In fact we probably have just recruited a couple of ordinary centres who will be road blocks to our juniors.

We could have had two first grade centres with a couple of potentially great juniors bacing them up.

Gareth67

First Grade
Big Joey Leilula was earmarked as a likely Dragon acquisition when Luciano first came on the scene . But of course that never eventuated and now a few years have passed Joeys time as an outside back is almost at an end .

Still it would not surprise me if Maguire moves him into the pack as a roving second row forward where his future may lie.

The Tigers will still have a great buy on their hands and who knows with both brothers in the same team it may spur them on to greater heights.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Not really but it is good roster management when you have a player who is superior and likely to occupy his position in first grade.

Now if Aitken and Lafai were dropped to CC early in 2019 and told that they are no longer needed in first grade, you can bet their managers would have them seeking a release from the Dragons thus freeing up some cap space to buy first grade centres. As it is we have two duds centres in first grade and have recruited two centres of unknown quality to back them up. In fact we probably have just recruited a couple of ordinary centres who will be road blocks to our juniors.

We could have had two first grade centres with a couple of potentially great juniors bacing them up.

The fact here was that Aitken was tokd he could look around, and if you believe 2 stories: 1. That nobody wanted him, or 2. Some teams showed interest, but at a highly reduced offer.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Big Joey Leilula was earmarked as a likely Dragon acquisition when Luciano first came on the scene . But of course that never eventuated and now a few years have passed Joeys time as an outside back is almost at an end .

Still it would not surprise me if Maguire moves him into the pack as a roving second row forward where his future may lie.

The Tigers will still have a great buy on their hands and who knows with both brothers in the same team it may spur them on to greater heights.
Interesting idea to move Joey Leilua to the second row. It actually could be a good idea. Maybe it would help him stay a bit more focused and get him more involved. I do think Wests have bought Joey to play centre. On his day, he is one of the most destructive centres in the game. Early in his career his poor ball security often let him down, but I think he has improved that over the years. I would have liked us to have signed him, as a short term solution to our centre problem.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The fact here was that Aitken was tokd he could look around, and if you believe 2 stories: 1. That nobody wanted him, or 2. Some teams showed interest, but at a highly reduced offer.
I am not disagreeing with you in any way, but Aitken and Lafai both should have been dropped to reserve grade last year and told that they won't be playing first grade anymore. We should have offloaded both of them, even if that meant subsidising both of their contracts with other clubs, as long as it provided the salary cap to at least buy one decent centre along the lines of Joey Leilua or Curtis Scott. Aitken and Lafai could both be playing in the Super League this year, if they knew there were no better opportunities in the NRL for them this year, but they will both most likely be our starting centres again this year.

To put it simply, if Aitken and Lafai were both told that they won't be playing first grade this year, then they and their manager would have found them a new club to be at this year, instead of them devaluing themselves in CC.

getsmarty

Immortal
I am not disagreeing with you in any way, but Aitken and Lafai both should have been dropped to reserve grade last year and told that they won't be playing first grade anymore. We should have offloaded both of them, even if that meant subsidising both of their contracts with other clubs, as long as it provided the salary cap to at least buy one decent centre along the lines of Joey Leilua or Curtis Scott. Aitken and Lafai could both be playing in the Super League this year, if they knew there were no better opportunities in the NRL for them this year, but they will both most likely be our starting centres again this year.

To put it simply, if Aitken and Lafai were both told that they won't be playing first grade this year, then they and their manager would have found them a new club to be at this year, instead of them devaluing themselves in CC.

Very unlikely to happen while mcgregor is still here...BUT, that will change soon enough ;)

Gareth67

First Grade
Interesting idea to move Joey Leilua to the second row. It actually could be a good idea. Maybe it would help him stay a bit more focused and get him more involved. I do think Wests have bought Joey to play centre. On his day, he is one of the most destructive centres in the game. Early in his career his poor ball security often let him down, but I think he has improved that over the years. I would have liked us to have signed him, as a short term solution to our centre problem.

Your right Frank he was bought to play in the back line however I have a sneaking suspicion that Madge may very well decide to have the big boy make the transition into the forwards at some time . Still would had liked to have seen him in the Big Red V , but not to be .

Dragsters

First Grade
At this stage of their careers that’s debatable. Leilua has had some serious injuries of late, has an error and brain snap in him and has flopped in two gf’s. I’d say he has been relegated to the scrap heap. It’s a shame because on his day he’s probably the most devastating centre in the NRL. He has moments where he absolutely bullies the opposition. I’ve met him in the Moose a few times he’s a good bloke. I hope he kicks on.

Admittedly I have only watched it once, live, but I thought Joey was one of the Raiders best in last years GF.

Busy and impactful with some bid defence...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Admittedly I have only watched it once, live, but I thought Joey was one of the Raiders best in last years GF.

Busy and impactful with some bid defence...
Yeah but when it mattered he stuffed up what would have been a match winning play. Don’t get may chances vs the chooks in a GF. Latrell with the same chance iced the game.

possm

Coach

Yes it reminds me very much of the Morris brothers situation. We let J Morris go to the Dogs to make way for Gasnier - which is understandable. Lot's of talk about re-uniting the Morris twins after Gasnier retired in 2011 but it did not happen. Instead it was B Morris who was released to join his brother at the Dogs.

Both of the Morris twins SOO players at the time. After Gasnier's retirement we recruited Farrell and after B Morris's exit we recruited Nabuli and there in short is the nature of our recruitment problems. We just do not replace players 'like for like or better' and as a result, we have ended up with one of the worst back 5's in the competiton in 2019.

So significant changes need to be made to our back 5 for season 2020. In my opinion the only safe selections would be Saab on the right wing and Lomax at fullback. The over-riding rule should be that the form player for any of the 17 should be selected each week.

getsmarty

Immortal
Yes it reminds me very much of the Morris brothers situation. We let J Morris go to the Dogs to make way for Gasnier - which is understandable. Lot's of talk about re-uniting the Morris twins after Gasnier retired in 2011 but it did not happen. Instead it was B Morris who was released to join his brother at the Dogs.

Both of the Morris twins SOO players at the time. After Gasnier's retirement we recruited Farrell and after B Morris's exit we recruited Nabuli and there in short is the nature of our recruitment problems. We just do not replace players 'like for like or better' and as a result, we have ended up with one of the worst back 5's in the competiton in 2019.

So significant changes need to be made to our back 5 for season 2020. In my opinion the only safe selections would be Saab on the right wing and Lomax at fullback. The over-riding rule should be that the form player for any of the 17 should be selected each week.

= McGregor...

BLM01

First Grade

What are you talking about. Josh Morris and Gasnier left the club in the same year. Gasnier went to France and then Morris Dogs.
Bennett let Josh Morris go as wanted his brother and Flo to become wingers.
Chase Stanley or Nick Emmett and part timer Scott and Coops were our 2009 centres..I think

We did go rep player for rep player.
I’m pretty sure Dane Neilson player Origin :flushed::flushed:

Latest posts