What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leilua to Dogs

MattoDragon

Juniors
They have signed
Robson
Dufty
Herbert
Sale
Host
Aiken
Issac Thompson
Zac lomax

These kids are the best kids in our junior system..
Lealua seems to be a sticking point and some people just arn't loyal to clubs.. he may stay, he may go but i think the club has nailed the kids they want bar him.. and bird which i think everyone agrees is a big mistake..
Remember ian millward started this role at the begining of the year so i think he has done a great job.. whichever the leilua one goes.. just my opinion

You have got to be kidding, Moving Forward. Millward has been a failure in his role. He signed Tariq Sims on overs and he's signed a kid from Melbourne. And if this kid was so good, do you really think Bellamy would let him go? We've chased Coote, Roberts, Hiku, Cronk and Keary and got stuff all. And when asked if he was disappointed at missing out on them, he said no, because they all stayed loyal to their current clubs. Apart from Keary, who he said didn't want to relocate to the Gong. However, the real reason he signed with the Rorters is that the offers were the same, but we were only offering to pay part of his medical cover and the Rorters said they would cover all. Give me a f**kin break! The guy is totally incompetent, along with McGregor, Doust and the cronies that call themselves a board.
While McGregor is coach and Millward is the Recruiter we will continue to sign 2nd rate players and lose potential stars like Hastings, Bird and Leilua.
Moving Forward, please don't try to make excuses for these imbeciles, because thanks to them, we have another poor season coming up in 2017. And do you realise most of our very best current first graders are up for contract renewal at the end of 2017? Heaven help us if this mob are still in control.

Last edited:

Sigurd

Juniors
You have got to be kidding, Moving Forward. Millward has been a failure in his role. He signed Tariq Sims on overs and he's signed a kid from Melbourne. And if this kid was so good, do you really think Bellamy would let him go?

It's so frustrating when so many Dragons supporters automatically think a player from a successful club is a really good signing even when it seems those clubs had no interest in keeping the said player.

BennyV

Referee
You have got to be kidding, Moving Forward. Millward has been a failure in his role. He signed Tariq Sims on overs and he's signed a kid from Melbourne. And if this kid was so good, do you really think Bellamy would let him go? We've chased Coote, Roberts, Hiku, Cronk and Keary and got stuff all. And when asked if he was disappointed at missing out on them, he said no, because they all stayed loyal to their current clubs. Apart from Keary, who he said didn't want to relocate to the Gong. However, the real reason he signed with the Rorters is that the offers were the same, but we were only offering to pay part of his medical cover and the Rorters said they would cover all. Give me a f**kin break! The guy is totally incompetent, along with McGregor, Doust and the cronies that call themselves a board.
While McGregor is coach and Millward is the Recruiter we will continue to sign 2nd rate players and lose potential stars like Hastings, Bird and Leilua.
Moving Forward, please don't try to make excuses for these imbeciles, because thanks to them, we have another poor season coming up in 2017. And do you realise most of our very best current first graders are up for contract renewal at the end of 2017? Heaven help us if this mob are still in control.
Just a sidebar, Millward is not in charge of recruitment. Your anger needs to be pointed toward Ben Haran.

As you were.

giboz71

First Grade
In all fairness, the fact that our spine isn't delivering has nothing to do with Merrin and Morris leaving. I'd suggest you'd be hard pushed to find a Top 8 club not spending that sort of money on their spine, yet they don't have their best juniors (referring to Merrin and Bird) just up and leaving.

Spine dollars are currently allocated to spine players (regardless of whether or not they are delivering results). Competent recruitment/retention would have seen us keep our best juniors, which includes Leilua, regardless of that.

But overspending is overspending. Whether its your spine players or not. Parramatta were the kings of it. Huge contracts to players like Sandow and Hopoate. Is it any wonder they have been a basket case for years?

Consider this for a second. The Cows spine that won a comp last year cost less than ours. Makes me nearly choke on my food when I say that out loud.

End of the day, the salary cap is a science and those who manage it well keep the players they were meant to keep. Panthers set loose Sowie and Seggy and their contracts so they can keep guys like Cleary and Cartwright. Smart decisions that end up setting them up for years to come.

These are the sort of moves (due to lack of foresight or intelligence) that we are incapable of making.

BennyV

Referee
But overspending is overspending. Whether its your spine players or not. Parramatta were the kings of it. Huge contracts to players like Sandow and Hopoate. Is it any wonder they have been a basket case for years?

Consider this for a second. The Cows spine that won a comp last year cost less than ours. Makes me nearly choke on my food when I say that out loud.

End of the day, the salary cap is a science and those who manage it well keep the players they were meant to keep. Panthers set loose Sowie and Seggy and their contracts so they can keep guys like Cleary and Cartwright. Smart decisions that end up setting them up for years to come.

These are the sort of moves (due to lack of foresight or intelligence) that we are incapable of making.
But what I'm saying is that regardless of how our halves perform, that specifically doesn't matter. Only that they are paid so much. If they were killing it, we would still be in the shit situation of struggling to train Lucky.

And the overpaying thing mostly comes from our inability to organise third party arrangements for our guys off the books. If you think that the Cowboys, Broncos or Storm spine is being paid less then ours off the books, that's just naivety.

giboz71

First Grade
But what I'm saying is that regardless of how our halves perform, that specifically doesn't matter. Only that they are paid so much. If they were killing it, we would still be in the shit situation of struggling to train Lucky.

And the overpaying thing mostly comes from our inability to organise third party arrangements for our guys off the books. If you think that the Cowboys, Broncos or Storm spine is being paid less then ours off the books, that's just naivety.

I used the Cows example in 2015 as they had Coote and Granville, 2 unheralded players who didn't cost the earth. You don't need to spend millions on your spine to be successful.

And if our spine was killing it and we were perpetually in the top 4 like top sides you mentioned, then losing good juniors wouldn't sting so much and would more or less be expected. The Bronco's aren't crying about Taylor for instance, as they are still one the comps top sides and will be contenders for years to come despite letting him go.

The fact that we are worse than sh*t, and still can't keep our juniors just shows how clueless we are.

The Doc

Juniors
How much did Tariq Sims sign for? Do you know what his contract is worth to say he was signed on overs?
And the melbourne kid... have the storm never lost a good player to another club?
Inglis?
As bennyV said, as you were.

emu62

Juniors
How much did Tariq Sims sign for? Do you know what his contract is worth to say he was signed on overs?
And the melbourne kid... have the storm never lost a good player to another club?
Inglis?

Agree Doc. Another point to remember is the Storm have only recently become acquainted with the salary cap

saints4ever

First Grade
Just a sidebar, Millward is not in charge of recruitment. Your anger needs to be pointed toward Ben Haran.

As you were.
Another example of jobs for the boys that Doust won't admit to.
Haran was put in to replace Young "shudder" and only worsened our position.
Enter Mulholland. To fix what Haran in part caused.
Exit Mulholland.
Just give it to Haran again. Why not?

Mr Red

First Grade
Inglis?

Storm were forced to let Inglis leave due to being caught over the cap. One of the "big four" needed to be moved on and he was deemed the one to go. Inglis didn't choose to leave the storm.. So using him as an example doesn't really apply in this case.
Had you used Israel Folau as your example it would be more accurate......

Sims was rumoured to have signed for 400k a season which if this number is remotely accurate, given his form the last 2 years most would say overs....

Jubileeboy

First Grade
We can be thankful the Storm don't cheat the cap then ! I'm sure Inglis would have stayed for unders. After all, it wasn't his fault...lol
Proctor $700k
Smith $1.2m
Cronk $800k
Slater $800k
Munster $650k plus incentives from 2017
Bromwich $700 plus incentives
Doesn't leave a lot of room for the other 19 players now, does it? Koroibete is off to union on massive money. Sisa Waqa was offered more money to leave.
Sims up to $400k would be very close to market value for someone of his experience and ability.

The Doc

Juniors
Storm were forced to let Inglis leave due to being caught over the cap. One of the "big four" needed to be moved on and he was deemed the one to go. Inglis didn't choose to leave the storm.. So using him as an example doesn't really apply in this case.
Had you used Israel Folau as your example it would be more accurate......

Sims was rumoured to have signed for 400k a season which if this number is remotely accurate, given his form the last 2 years most would say overs....
Rumored is the key word.
Im not saying its right or wrong, i dont know what the amount is, hence why i asked if he actually knew.
And on your last point, judging by the form he showed in the games he played for us this season, if he produces that form in the red V for the next 2 years i personally dont see 400k as overs at all.

Lethal25

Juniors
We can be thankful the Storm don't cheat the cap then ! I'm sure Inglis would have stayed for unders. After all, it wasn't his fault...lol
Proctor $700k
Smith $1.2m
Cronk $800k
Slater $800k
Munster $650k plus incentives from 2017
Bromwich $700 plus incentives
Doesn't leave a lot of room for the other 19 players now, does it? Koroibete is off to union on massive money. Sisa Waqa was offered more money to leave.
Sims up to $400k would be very close to market value for someone of his experience and ability.
Apparently Nightingale is close to one of the clubs top earners, almost like holding a loyalty rewards card he built up points and his pay kept rising.

How many players have signed with this club for less in recent times, loyal to the cause? I'm honestly scratching my head trying to think of one

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Apparently Nightingale is close to one of the clubs top earners, almost like holding a loyalty rewards card he built up points and his pay kept rising.

How many players have signed with this club for less in recent times, loyal to the cause? I'm honestly scratching my head trying to think of one

I don't actually think that is the case with Nightingale mate.
Not when compared to one or two others in our squad. Pretty sure from memory, his last contract signed was for less than he had previously been on. I remember there was conjecture about a higher offer on the table from elsewhere, yet he chose to stay with us for less but an additional year? It is true that, at one stage, we had the two highest paid wingers in the NRL on our books.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Another problem that the Club will have is that it the team coaching and performance does not improve guys like Aitken, De Belin, Dugan, Frizzell and Packer who have representative
ambitions will not resign and move to other
clubs

Sigurd

Juniors
Another example of jobs for the boys that Doust won't admit to.
Haran was put in to replace Young "shudder" and only worsened our position.
Enter Mulholland. To fix what Haran in part caused.
Exit Mulholland.
Just give it to Haran again. Why not?
In all fairness, it's not as if Mulholland did a really great job.

mobels

Juniors

Nightingale took a reduced offer to stay with the Dragons last year, he was getting massive offers from the Warriors but opted to stay. He's also the only person on our roster that qualifies for long service cap exemption so he'd be on next to nothing on the cap.

Latest posts