What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's talk about the Canberra Raiders

Gasnier is a shell of his former self, and to be honest i've never rated Cooper but that's just me.

I don't hate the Dragons btw.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Gasnier is a shell of his former self, and to be honest i've never rated Cooper but that's just me.

I don't hate the Dragons btw.

Gasnier is miles better than he used to be defensively. Every week he is improving his attacking game. He was never going to jump straight back in and be as good as he was, he was always going to need at least a full off-season. Whether he recaptures that form remains to be seen.

As for Cooper, you don't get to 100 tries without having at least some talent.

Big Pete

Referee
Vidot is fine under the high ball.

It's not his work under the high ball.

It's his handling in general.

It'll come with experience hopefully. When it does BAM he can become a Maroon for however long he likes.

typicalfan

Coach
Wow your hatred of the dragons really needs to be brought up in every possible post doesn't it?

Morris is one of the best cover defenders in the game. He's saved our bacon plenty of times on linebreaks. Vidot has great front on technique, which as you say is suited to the centers. But we're not talking about them in the center's are we?

Vidot is a great talent, and is a certainty to play rep footy in the future but don't let that allow you to lose some perspective.

As for your comments on Cooper and Gasnier, I guess we'll find out how accurate you are over the coming weeks. Defensively there is no better 3/4 in the competition, but they also know how to score some tries as well.
Now that is extremely debatable. Gasnier has always been a fairly average defender. Certainly not up with the likes of Lyon or Lawrence for example.

If you said Cooper and Scott I would agree with you but Gasnier lining up next to Soward is probably the Dragons biggest weakness if it could be exploited.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Now that is extremely debatable. Gasnier has always been a fairly average defender. Certainly not up with the likes of Lyon or Lawrence for example.

If you said Cooper and Scott I would agree with you but Gasnier lining up next to Soward is probably the Dragons biggest weakness if it could be exploited.

Gasnier's defence has been awesome since he returned. Bennett has got that stupid penchant for running in and leaving his winger stranded out of him.

By the by, Scott still stands next to Soward in the line.
8E621023-2876-2541-856A-4392C5D0A527

typicalfan

Coach
That side got ambushed by the Raiders a few weeks back. Gasnier wasn't just positionally weak but he was easily brushed aside. I doubt Gasnier can change that much in such a short space in time. We will see though.

By the way I think Vidot's cover defense is up there too. Peep his try-saving tackle on Anasta where he threw his ass over the sideline at the Bruce.

typicalfan

Coach
He gets a lot of help from Dugan as well. He helped bundle the Broncos over the sideline when they looked certain to score last week.

Vidot will play for QLD in his career I don't doubt it at all. His rival is Jharal Yow Yeh but I think Vidot is ahead of him slightly.

DeeJ

Bench
Vidot is way ahead of Yow Yeh. Haven't you seen how many errors Jharal makes? I don't even know how me made 18th man for QLD this year.

^Cos Big Mal didn't wanna make people think he's biased by giving it to Vidot probably.

Vidot playing for QLD is only a matter of time. I think he'll take Folau's spot next season actually.

typicalfan

Coach
Vidot is way ahead of Yow Yeh. Haven't you seen how many errors Jharal makes? I don't even know how me made 18th man for QLD this year.
Lets be fair, Folau is among the biggest ball hogs in the game, sure he is talented but rarely uses his outside man. I am sure Yow Yeh is jumping for joy the chance to play outside Hodges again.

I think both will end up being QLD wingers but Vidot first obviously.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Canberra have a massive shot here. Dragons will beat Manly sending a depleted and most likely mentally exhausted Tigers to Canberra Stadium. If the occasion doesn't get to them, Canberra should win.

After that they have a bye straight to the Grand Final. :sarcasm:

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
Lol @ the people who thought this huffy club had potential. I feel sorry for them, it's all blown now with Ricky at the helm.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Soon to be returning back to the top of the heap where we belong.

Finally looks like we have rebuilt ourselves properly. Got that early '90s feeling about it

Canberra are a team bristling with young, talented players. I rate them, but don't think they can keep their run of winning sudden death games going. However they are a team of the future.

win or lose this weekend, won't bother me, whilst this is a very open comp and i believe we're as good a chance as any, if we go one and done, it will just serve to make the best young talent in the game hungrier for success, the raiders will be a feared team in 2011. Im just enjoying the 2010 ride, how ever much longer it lasts. But don't fool yourselves, publically they don't care but privately, the last side saints want to play in this final series is us. The comp is theirs to lose and canberra are one side that know how to beat them.

lol get over a tiny group (like two people) deathriding the panthers. they are obviously a decent side. i think MAN FOR MAN there is as much talent in the Raiders line up though. the raiders talent is just starting to come into its own.

i am not sure if we will beat the panthers, they are the deserved favourites but i am hopeful we will give it a shot. we have been potentially finished every week now for 10 weeks yet we are still here. so i will have hope until we lose.

it has been an amazing turnaround and next year is looming as a big one.

^That's just keeping it real. We'll be on another level next year.

Lets talk about the Canberra side, theyre a pretty good attacking team when theyre switched on. They are capable of blowing teams off the park especially down in cold Canberra.

Their away record aint great, but this year had some good results. One of their best wins I reckon was against us, Parra. We didnt play too bad, they played smart football, hardly made an error, I think only didnt complete 2 sets.

Theyve got a pretty good forward pack, Shillington, Harrison, Lehroyd-Lahs, Tilse, Femson, Tongue. Backs are pretty good, Vidot, Dugan, Croker, Robinson, Campese, McCrone.

Next year at full strength I reckon will be contender.

Its amazing stat they havent missed the finals in consecutive years since 1986.

Theyre definately on a roll, if they beat Penrith no doubt whoever they play is gonna find it tough, especially if they play down in Canberra.

Im not sure whats arrogant about saying the team with the pack we'll have, campo in the halves and dugan on the end of one of the youngest but exciting backlines in the comp will be considered a contender by most other clubs.
We'll be one of many contenders and any contender is a feared team. That's a fact of professional sports. Any team that threatens your chances of success is feared. We'll be one of many in 2011

:lol: Choke fans never cease to amaze me

0 Premierships, history of choking, a merged club with no soul. Yet still, you're possibly the most arrogant fans in world sport

I didn't say it was. I said it was an aspect of it. Vidot's got the better technique. Once he moves to centre he'll be belting washed up clowns like Gasnier (or Cooper depending on what side of the field he plays).

LOL @ your Tahu returns sig. He's as washed up as Gasnier.

Dragons are one loss away from sudden death at Canberra Stadium :D

Canberra have a massive shot here. Dragons will beat Manly sending a depleted and most likely mentally exhausted Tigers to Canberra Stadium. If the occasion doesn't get to them, Canberra should win.

After that they have a bye straight to the Grand Final. :sarcasm:

:lol:

Latest posts