What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's talk about the Canberra Raiders

Leethal

Juniors
We're going pretty well at the moment, better than most expected.

A little humility from some of us Raiders fans wouldn't go astray, though.

We haven't won anything yet and face a Panthers outfit that has belted a few teams lately and we may find ourselves out on our arse a la 2008.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
win or lose this weekend, won't bother me, whilst this is a very open comp and i believe we're as good a chance as any, if we go one and done, it will just serve to make the best young talent in the game hungrier for success, the raiders will be a feared team in 2011. Im just enjoying the 2010 ride, how ever much longer it lasts. But don't fool yourselves, publically they don't care but privately, the last side saints want to play in this final series is us. The comp is theirs to lose and canberra are one side that know how to beat them.

There's that arrogance again. And your one of the decent Raiders fans.

legend

Coach
How is that arrogance? We'll have the best forward rotation in the NRL. We are winning without Joel Thompson, Josh Miller and Alan Tongue.

Ferguson and White will make a difference and apparently there is still one major signing to come.

Doomednow

Bench
As a cautionary tale, remember the Eels last year and their expectations then for this year. Different situations maybe, but predictions are hard enough to make at the start of the season, let alone before the finals are over.

Jono1987

Juniors
Congratulations to the Raiders on a great finish to the regular season. Definitely the in form team over the last eight to nine weeks. However despite all the talk of a fairy tale run through the finals for the Raiders, the Panthers will roll up to CUA, beat the Raiders comfortably and get a week's rest. I'll put that down to the Panthers hitting a bit of form lately and the fact that the Raiders have been up for so long.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
As a cautionary tale, remember the Eels last year and their expectations then for this year. Different situations maybe, but predictions are hard enough to make at the start of the season, let alone before the finals are over.

This

We made the Grand Final last year and our only significant loss was Kingston. We signed 2 rep forwards in Shack and Poore plus Dual International Tahu, look where it got us.

Guarantee you, if Canberra make any sort of dent into the finals this year, you will be targeted by other teams like we were. And I cant see Furner altering Canberra's style next year to counteract that.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Lets talk about the Canberra side, theyre a pretty good attacking team when theyre switched on. They are capable of blowing teams off the park especially down in cold Canberra.

Their away record aint great, but this year had some good results. One of their best wins I reckon was against us, Parra. We didnt play too bad, they played smart football, hardly made an error, I think only didnt complete 2 sets.

Theyve got a pretty good forward pack, Shillington, Harrison, Lehroyd-Lahs, Tilse, Femson, Tongue. Backs are pretty good, Vidot, Dugan, Croker, Robinson, Campese, McCrone.

Next year at full strength I reckon will be contender.

Its amazing stat they havent missed the finals in consecutive years since 1986.

Theyre definately on a roll, if they beat Penrith no doubt whoever they play is gonna find it tough, especially if they play down in Canberra.

legend

Coach
Fair point but my belief is the Eels struggled on the loss of Knigston and the Panthers benefitted as a result. Your halves this year were rubbish and you must be thankful Keating has gone. He was awful and is nowhere near first grade standard.

We have a dominant five eighth and don't rely on a fullback to win us games.

Just on Furner, I believe he evolved the playing style of the team this year when it wasn't working so I think he has enuogh brains to roll with the punches. We have more structure than an ad lib Parramatta side who were basically a one man army at times this year.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Fair point but my belief is the Eels struggled on the loss of Knigston and the Panthers benefitted as a result. Your halves this year were rubbish and you must be thankful Keating has gone. He was awful and is nowhere near first grade standard.

Unfortunately the wrong Keating left us. Kris is promising but Matt might make a lot of tackles but he does nothing out of dummy half. Kingston is a massive loss, but hopefully Anthony Mitchell can give us that spark from dummy half like Kingston.

Mortimer needs to step up and I dont know what this Brad Murray is like for the Roosters U20's.

adamkungl

Immortal

Yeah, but Canberra actually have a decent team... Eels have Hayne.

franklin2323

Immortal
Matt Elliott is yet to win a finals game I believe so there will be a fair amount of pressure on him and his side to perform.

Neither has Furner!!! Never has he had a team finish 2nd. Aleast Elliott has experience in Finals in UK.

When we won in 2003. Lang hadn't had much success in Finals with the Sharks and that didn't seem to haunt him

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I think everyone/raiders fans should stop saying how Matt Elliott has never won a final. That stat has to be the dumbest stat i've ever heard. When Matty Elliott was with the raiders he was dealing with a mediocre side, the exception for that might be our side in 2003. This time around he's got a much stronger team to work with compared to when he was coaching the raiders. That's going to be the last stat the teams will be thinking when they run out on Saturday.

In saying that, I think Raiders are in with a strong chance, but I think the players will need to get past the fact that for some, it will be the biggest game of their careers. We need to play like we have the last 7-8 weeks, not let the big stage get to us. I thought that being in front of such a large Broncos crowd last week got to the players a little bit and they all seemed to be a bit nervous. It's probably good that the raiders had a match like they did last week. It was the best possible preparation for the finals

As a raiders fan this is the most exciting time I've experienced going for the raiders, so I think all the fans and players should embrace the experience that we are going to get out of playing finals footy this year.

Last edited:

aids

Bench
Will Raiders go out winless (Elliot style) or will Elliot take the panthers out in straight sets (Elliot style).
it's a big game.

Apey

Staff member
the raiders will be a feared team in 2011

:lol: I was wondering when this gem would come out.

You and other Raider's fans say it every year.

I suppose you will get it right eventually. Throw enough mud and some will stick.

skeepe

Immortal
:lol: I was wondering when this gem would come out.

You and other Raider's fans say it every year.

I suppose you will get it right eventually. Throw enough mud and some will stick.

Wasn't 2010 supposed to be the year of the Knights now that you'd got rid of the cancer that was Brian Smith and appointed local supercoach Rick Stone?

Apey

Staff member
:lol: Good one, but no.

Most people had us down for the spoon, including some of our fans, due to the Wicks/Houston saga at the start of the season.

Even if people were (... who?), it's not quite in the same league as the "Raiders in <year>, watch out!" that's posted every year either when they've just been knocked out of contention the prior year or during the pre-season of that year.

We get warned every year, and so far it has amounted to nothing... but as I said, throw enough mud and some will stick. I'm sure they'll be 'right' eventually.