What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leuluai looks at other offers

Agent Mulder

Bench
Leuluai :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You Guys want more Rubbish?

Yeah i really saw how well Jerry Pai went for us too this year :lol:

newmanj

Juniors
Search NZ HeraldNew ZealandWorldwide Advanced Search / Help

Sports News
>> Home >> Sports >> Rugby League >> Kiwis

League: Leuluai undaunted by latest test call-up

By PETER JESSUP
If there is an odd man out among those preparing for the Kiwis-Kangaroos game at North Harbour Stadium on Saturday it is New Zealand's halfback, Thomas Leuluai, the only member of either squad not coming out of a professional competition.

Leuluai was called up from the Bartercard Cup competition, as he was in April for the Anzac test and last year for the centenary test.

"It's not where you want to be playing your football," he said, though his form for Otahuhu-Ellerslie was good until they exited the competition one game short of the grand final.

He knows the big Australian forwards will run at him all night because they will perceive weakness - at 1.75m he is the smallest player on the field and at 84kg he is 5kg lighter than opposite Craig Gower.

He is also one of only two players not to have come fresh from the NRL. The other is Motu Tony, who was in Super League.

"That goes with the role of halfback," Leuluai said, showing little sign of the nerves that beset him before his test debut last October.

Then, as the second-youngest Kiwi ever, at 18 years and 118 days, he was shy, focused on his role and keen not to be seen as any sort of a target.

He played a blinder in that game, coming on at 20 minutes to immediately be flattened by opposite Brett Kimmorley in a high tackle.

He bounced up from that and had a hand in four of the Kiwis' six tries.

It is clear the confidence has stayed with him, despite his meagre 10 games in the NRL this season and a total of 22 since his debut last year.

"Everything changed for me after the test last year," he said. "I see this one as a chance to get back on track."

Leuluai is not bitter that others were preferred ahead of him at the Warriors.

"I had some chances and I didn't make the most of them."

But he does want regular game-time, and with the Warriors sticking with Stacey Jones at halfback, Lance Hohaia there and Nathan Fien coming in, he decided to ask for a release and is negotiating with Parramatta.

"I want to go to the Eels - there's a few things still to sort out and I'm leaving the details to my manager [Peter Brown]." The tough year at the Warriors had been character-building, he said.

"It hasn't been much fun reading the newspaper. It's been hard at times. Hopefully I won't have another season like this."

wydie

Juniors
strider said:
AND you'd have to be wondering what the attraction for all these NZers is at Parra???....surely its gotta be Daniel Anderson

I used to be from Parramatta. But now live in New Zealand. I think the more down to earth attitude of people in the west of Sydney attracts New Zealanders and because its cheaper to live than inner Sydney. Also the links that have developed with the club, as you note.

I just heard Leulaui on 2ky they asked him about Parra and being the no7 and he sounds like he wants to come to Parra but its in the hands of his manager and that he could not speak about it much. But he did say Parra was a good club and that he has checked out the facilities. He also said that its all up in the air as to weather he comes or not.

I really haven't seen this guy play much except when he played for the Kiwis last year in which he had a blinder. My opinion is I'd rather we go with our talent in Tim Smith and Blake Green. Because if we do sign someone else like Leulaui these guys will be out the door sighting no oppurtunities at Parra just like our mate Willie Tonga.

Utey

Coach
Looks to me the deal is just about signed. Ill wait till after the Tri Series because he might be what we have been missing or he might not be.

wydie

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
I really haven't seen this guy play much except when he played for the Kiwis last year in which he had a blinder..

I've been watching him in New Zealand's Bartecard Cup as well as the few Warriors and Kiwi pappearances he's had. If I were running the Warriors, I'd have held on to Leuluai and groomed him as Stacey's replacement, rather than Hohia. Leuluai has a far better kicking and passing game.

The problem is that the Warriors really want someone who can play 5/8th until Stacey retires. Hohia probably has a superior running game than Leulai.

Stagger eel

Staff member
wydie said:
Jake the snake said:
I really haven't seen this guy play much except when he played for the Kiwis last year in which he had a blinder..

I've been watching him in New Zealand's Bartecard Cup as well as the few Warriors and Kiwi pappearances he's had. If I were running the Warriors, I'd have held on to Leuluai and groomed him as Stacey's replacement, rather than Hohia. Leuluai has a far better kicking and passing game.

The problem is that the Warriors really want someone who can play 5/8th until Stacey retires. Hohia probably has a superior running game than Leulai.

I find it amazing that Hohia wasn't chosen in front of him. or is that an Anderson influence?

Also it appears after listening to him this morning it's not a forgone conclusion that he's leaving the Warriors, even though he hasn't made any secrets of his prefered club.

True EEL

Bench
well, if he is publicly saying he wants to be at Parra, the Warriors would be a bit silly to keep him at a club he has stated he doens't want to play for.....

doesn't do him any good and probably won't do his form or them any good and it makes them look a bit bad too???? especially as he probably does have at least Jones and Fien ahead of him and possibly Hohia according to Wydie???

We are the last people that can say "' that if he wants to leave the Warriors then they would be silly not to release him"as the same thing happened to us with Lyon. So I think as fans we should wait it out and try to be more civilised than the Manly fans who were on here earlier demanding to know why we had not released Lyon.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: manly still didn't get him :lol: :lol: :lol:

fish eel

Immortal
though at this stage Leuluai is yet to chuck a hissy fit and walk out on the club, and he appears to be going through the right and proper channels should he wish to leave

Stagger eel

Staff member
unlike Manly fans

we're not a bunch of pre-ejaculators [spelling]

we're prepared to wait if he does or doesn't sign. ;-)

True EEL

Bench
well Manly might unfortunately get the last laugh....sooner rather than later with respect to that matter...........

Utey

Coach
True EEL said:
well Manly might unfortunately get the last laugh....sooner rather than later with respect to that matter...........

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nah as soon as Manly is named I Laugh my ass off. :lol:

The plot thickens................

Widnes target trio Oct 14 2004

By Ian Cheveau, Widnes Weekly News

WIDNES have identified three potential replacements for departed Aussie stars Jules O'Neill and Willie Peters - and it is believed that a Vikings' swoop may coincide with the arrival of Frank Endacott.

The Vikings, on the instruction of Endacott, have focused their attentions to a trio of Southern hemisphere halfbacks who could fill the vacant positions.

Thomas Leuluai is thought to be the Vikings number-one target, but that move has been thrown into jeopardy following interest from Parramatta Eels.

However, Widnes are still keen to land Stacey Jones' understudy and that move may come to fruition if Endacott says 'Yes'.

Widnes are remaining tight lipped over identities of other prospective halfbacks but Vikings media manager Andrew Kirchin did reveal the club has a host of irons in the fire.

He said: 'We have identified a halfback and we are waiting on the final decision from that player.

'Should that response be negative, we have looked at other options.

'But it is safe to say that our major signing will be a six or a seven.'

Meanwhile, the club are expecting a 'final decision' on Endacott's availability any day now.

Kirchin added: 'Frank will give us his answer at the end of this week. He has still one or two loose ends to tie up but he is still keen.'

Before the former Kiwi international coach set off to his native New Zealand, he gave Widnes assurances he would make a decision within a week of securing the club's Super League status.

But more than a month later, Endacott has left Widnes' future uncertain as they wait for a definite response.

If Endacott turns the club down, Daniel Anderson, New Zealand's coach for the Tri-Nations, may be back in the frame.

Widnes continue to rebuild after releasing 13 players by signing full-backs Steven Rowlands, Tim Holmes and Paul Ballard.

Holmes and Rowlands have committed their futures to the club by signing new two-year deals while Ballard has joined on a 12-month contract.

Rowlands, 20, joined his hometown club from St Helens last year and is looking forward to an injury-free season.

He said: 'I missed a large part of last season through injury but now I'm fit and raring to go and can't wait for pre-season training to start.

'As a Widnesian it's great to stay at my hometown club and I'm looking forward to getting my chance of a place in the first team and then keeping it.'

Ballard was top try-scorer in Wigan's Senior Academy Side last season and his move to Widnes has caused uproar among Warriors fans who are convinced the JJB Stadium club have lost their brightest young prospect.

Holmes, a product of the Vikings' Senior Academy, played the final seven games for Widnes in 2004 and has been rewarded for his endeavours in the relegation fight with a new contract.

Widnes are also in the running for a South Sea Island outside back who is currently plying his trade in New Zealand.

Link........

http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.c...mp;headline=widnes-target-trio-name_page.html

Then again Eela...it is a Widnes paper so any story they would write would be weighted in their favour of signing....you know give the locals hope!

But Endacott certainly does throw a spanner in the works if he goes there for Leulaui....and it throws a spanner in the works if he doesn't with Ando!!!!!