What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leuluai looks at other offers

True EEL

Bench
and yes, it sound slike Leualuia may be ggooooonnnnneeee to Widnes...

and perhaps its the best thing for all concerened.....Leulaui is happy as he has a club at last.......Widnes is happy (well probably), the Warriors are happy because they don't seem foolish if he plays for us and arves up against them and in general and we are happy because it makes the Parramatta Halfback Circus a little clearer

Stagger eel

Staff member
he's really not that bad :roll:

at the very least he is on parr with Witt and has a great deal of improvement in him.

going by some of your comments you'd think he had the plague!! :lol:

True EEL

Bench
i agree,

i don't think he is that bad and is doing a decent job for a guy leading a national side around the park at halfback against the world's best at age 19?????

but eelevation - please don't say on here that he is on par with Witt, because according to Jake and most people he may as well have the plague ;-)

he is on parr with Witt, thats why I don't want him hear- Witt was average. either we carry on with average halfs all the time or we give opurtunity to some players that show real potential in T Smith, B green and M perenera

Utey

Coach
Jakes exactly right. Leulaui wont come IMO. I think he was only linked to us because of the Anderson rumours. We need to play a halves combination which would be the one we would want for the finals. Marsh wont be able to play 80 min IMO. LIke others have said have a halve combination and then fine tune it with certain players. I think bring in Smith after a few winning rounds where the forwards have a bit of momentum and confidence. But a full season is better than 15 games isnt it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3079250a10713,00.html

Eels given the slip as Leuluai's future remains unresolved
29 October 2004

SYDNEY: The Parramatta Eels have not given up hope of signing Kiwis test rugby league halfback Thomas Leuluai although negotiations with the New Zealand Warriors appear to have foundered.

Eels coach Brian Smith expressed frustration yesterday that the club had not been able to finalise a deal with the Warriors, who told the 19-year-old during the National Rugby League (NRL) season that he was free to look elsewhere.

Leuluai, who is currently with the Kiwis Tri-Series squad in England, is sought by the Eels to fill the pivotal No 7 jersey.

Smith said the Warriors agreed to allow Leuluai to assess the Parramatta set-up in the lead-up to the October 16 trans-Tasman test in Auckland but the Eels had been unable to close the deal.

"We're a bit confused and a little bit frustrated as well," Smith said.

"We were told about Thomas' availability and we went through the front door with the Warriors and asked for permission for him to come over and have a look at us.

"We had a great meeting. We were down the path of negotiating the deal but we can't get the Warriors to the phone.

AdvertisementAdvertisement"We can't get anyone to talk to us," Smith said.

"I don't why they let him negotiate with us. The boy got his hopes us and we got our hopes up. We just want to complete the thing."

Smith suspected the Warriors had gone cold on the idea of Leuluai transferring to a rival NRL club.

"We get the feeling they (Warriors) want him to go to England and not play for another NRL club and embarrass them."

Former Auckland Warriors and Kiwis coach Frank Endacott has indicated he wants Leuluai to accompany him to Widnes when he begins a two-year term at the struggling Super League club next month.

Leuluai may be the incumbent Kiwis playmaker but he made only 10 appearances in the NRL this year, spending most of the season playing for Otahuhu-Ellerslie in the Bartercard Cup.

His fall from grace at Ericsson Stadium was of no consequence to Smith, who is holding the halfback spot open.

"He's a talented boy to be playing at halfback in the national team ... holding his gloves up as well as he does at his age is quite remarkable."

Smith has also failed to contact Leuluai to reconfirm his interest.

"He can't have global roaming on his phone," he said.

http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.c...&headline=kiwi-set-to-sign-name_page.html

Kiwi set to sign Oct 28 2004

By Simon Drury, Weekly News

VIKINGS coach Frank SUPER dacott hopestoannouncethe signing of New Zealand halfback Thomas Leuluai by tomorrow.

But Widnes have moved to quash speculation that the club is about to swoop for 28-year-old Bradford Bulls skipper Robbie Paul.

Club spokesman Andrew Kirchin said: 'There is no truth whatsoever in the rumours that we are about to sign Robbie Paul.

'However, we do hope to be in a position to make a positive announcement about Thomas Leuluai very soon.'

Leuluai, 19, having played for the Kiwis against Australia in both Gillette Tri-Nations games so far, has two years left on his deal with New Zealand Warriors.

The Vikings have a two-year contract on the table at Halton Stadium, it is understood.

In New Zealand, Leuluai has been linked with rivals Parramatta Eels, but Aussie Endacott says the Warriors have refused to release him to another NRL club.

He said: 'The Warriors have agreed to release him, provided he doesn't go to another club that would see him playing against them.

'That means that if he wants to join another club, it would be in Super League.

'At the age of 19 it doesn't matter, he can come over for a year or two's experience and still come back to the NRL. Widnes are in there and I would expect a decision to come before the end of the week.'

Endacott returns to Widnes next month with a two-year coaching contract.

Meanwhile, the Vikings have identified the second half-back they want to recruit for the new campaign.

And chairman Tony Chambers confirmed it isn't Robbie Paul.

He said: 'It is no secret that we are looking for two half-backs. We've got some candidates we are considering and are keeping our eyes on them.'

Winger Chris Giles has signed for Liverpool St Helens RUFC. He joins up again with Nicky Royle - a Vikings teammate from last season.

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
It was actually a different Article with comments from Brian Smith which were intresting... but your the boss.

Sorry JTS - should have been a bit clearer. Try the one above Belly's last post in the thread.... ;-)

Ahhh Sorry mate, didn't see that one.

i can't believe Smith is still trying to get him. Does he watch the same games we do??

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:

i can't believe Smith is still trying to get him. Does he watch the same games we do??

Obviously working off advice from "better experts" than us it seems Jake... ;-)

The Colonel said:
Jake the snake said:

Obviously working off advice from "better experts" than us it seems Jake... ;-)

We are the experts :lol:

Latest posts