What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

like sand through the hour glass these are the threads of our reefy

should Todd be sacked?

• Yes. bubbling is an outrage

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • No >drinking other peoples Pizz has been part of League since Chook Raper

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Im undecided.

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Because we bow heavily to media and public image pressure would be my main guess. I do think we could of taken far better courses of action than a straight sacking. Though if the whispers of rumours are true, we may have already tried those courses, as he had been running amok for a while.
I'm not in the know, nor living near the Shire. So my knowledge of what he has been up to, and what we have done is limited to what is revealed on here.
If it wasn't for here, to me, this would appear a complete knee jerk reaction to a minor and victimless idiotic moment that couldn't damage the brand anymore, just delay any rebuilding of our image slightly. Which without a star performer going forward will be just as hard.
Quality.

Jaegerex

Juniors
but read the the thread again.
This is not about Crne. This is about Irvine. Who by naivety or stupidity, has caused our club more damage than ASADA.
He cant come near the club again. & that is a shame.

My first response was about Irvine, he was saying it becoming public was the only thing that made them act. Which is a stupid comment to make, of course it being done in public and making it's way online is going to be acted upon. If someone wanted to do this in their own home, no one has a right to condemn them for it just because it isn't their cup of tea.
As you said, he is just trying to lay the boot in, he uses whatever he can as ammo for his vendetta and cannot see past his own agendas for the good or sake of the club.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
My first response was about Irvine, he was saying it becoming public was the only thing that made them act. Which is a stupid comment to make, of course it being done in public and making it's way online is going to be acted upon. If someone wanted to do this in their own home, no one has a right to condemn them for it just because it isn't their cup of tea.
As you said, he is just trying to lay the boot in, he uses whatever he can as ammo for his vendetta and cannot see past his own interests for the good or sake of the club.

Quality 2.

I wont vote for any group with alliance with Irvine ever again.
You?

Jaegerex

Juniors
Quality 2.

I wont vote for any group with alliance with Irvine ever again.
You?

Or Keogh no. I do think UNITY has had a bit of an uphill battle from the word go, and we probably judge them overly harsh for no sponsors, but there are a few decisions that beggars belief and the constant leaking to Rothfield has gotten beyond a joke.
He probably had probably been informed of Carney's sacking before the man himself.

We leak more than ASADA, as improbable as that is.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Or Keogh no. I do think UNITY has had a bit of an uphill battle from the word go, and we probably judge them overly harsh for no sponsors, but there are a few decisions that beggars belief and the constant leaking to Rothfield has gotten beyond a joke.
He probably had probably been informed of Carney's sacking before the man himself.

We leak more than ASADA, as improbable as that is.
I can guarantee that Rothfield knew prior to Carney. Rothfield knew prior to sunday print.
Now if that is acceptable, seeing all the problems Rothhfield brought onto the club with the Irvine "exclusive" then we deserve waht we get.
As members we need to ensure that everything De La Salle is exorcised from the club. Inculduing members. ie. member of De la or CSSFC not both.

wibble

Bench
Too many elements to this to not make one seriously consider walking away from this game.

Obviously l wont but to see our finest moment of the year 2 nites ago sink to this??!

The hardest part for me....
Its alway us.

I could accept it if it was the same rule for all.

But we lost Birdy.
We lose Carney.

Ben barba plays on getting his headlines and 1 mil a yr.

Carney hurt noone but himself.

Barbas girl ended up in hospital.

Todd will be back ifor some club with the 6 on his back biting us on the bum.

+2

Panda Power 78

Juniors
Too many elements to this to not make one seriously consider walking away from this game.

Obviously l wont but to see our finest moment of the year 2 nites ago sink to this??!

Its alway us.

But we lost Birdy.
We lose Carney.

& we sacked Brett Seymour , Tevita Latu , Anthony Watts & Tony Zappia for inappropriate behaviour , so there is a recent-ish history of not tolerating this sort of thing.

Carney's sacking would be harsh if (a) this was his first moronic act , he has been sacked from 2 other clubs for serious off field conduct & had guidelines written into his Cronulla agreement (at least he'll leave us without incurring a criminal record like at Canberra & Easts) (b)
there wasn't constant reports of him carrying on all season , out getting pissed while injured , turning up to training very under the weather etc (c) he hadn't lost all respect of the team , coaching staff & after this , a good many supporters & (d) he didn't have chronic injuries & was playing to the standard of being our star player earning his 650K - his defence this year has been appalling , a good final 25 minutes on Friday doesn't cover up his very average form for most of this season.

I agree Cronulla has taken this chance to get rid of him for all of the above reasons & sadly I reckon they've made the right call.

Good luck to Toddy if he can get another NRL club to take him on but I doubt the NRL will register a contract until the end of next season & with his criminal record I doubt he'll get a working visa to play in the UK.

Sharkman

Juniors
I follow Irvine on twitter, have done for ages.

I watch what he does at Notts out of a morbid interest I guess. Interesting to compare to his time at the helm. Seems to be all over it.

He's often comments on the bigger stories Shark related and the tone is a little "look what the new guys are doing"

All a little return politics as well, no doubt toward Unity. Don't feel his comments add value to the club he loves.

It'd be better if he kept his comments to himself. Everybody can see how much an awesome job his successors are doing with out the knifing.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reefy, you're on a truth hunt. What sort of dishonesty by Irvine are you looking for that links him to Carney self-administering his own golden shower, or subsequent sacking?

Just curious.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're priceless reefy.

Your hunt for a scapegoat is humourous.

Carney did all this.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to ask yourself, did the Sharks need this incident, given the damage to their image already done by the ASADA investigation.

And whether this was an isolated incident by Carneu, or not.

there must have bn another incident, there was a rumour on facebook that a plyr turned up to training high on drugs a few weeks ago, and obviously most thought it was Carney, but alcohol is a drug, so the player might just have been drunk. That's possibly untrue obviously, but Carney must have done other quite bad things recently.

Card Shark

Immortal
Sums up my thoughts on the matter pretty well 73. There are plenty out there playing that have been involved in far worse.

I doubt anyone currently playing NRL has a worse rap sheet than Carney.

His first offence was 10 years ago & have been regular every since.

That makes him 28......but he still carries on like an 18 year old.

fizman

Bench
There are no values, morals or standards in RL any more, haven't been for a long time. How can anyone take the NRL seriously with Greenberg in charge?

The terms NRL and role models is an oxymoron.

carcharias

Immortal
He was well aware that bringing bad media down on the club through his drunken antics was a stackable offence.

Dunno why people are even questioning it.

There is a photo of him pissing into his own mouth all over the Internet.

Sadly I knew it would come to an end like this.
As soon as they won on Friday I thought of him and how big a bender it would be.

DJShaksta

First Grade

Its alway us.

But we lost Birdy.
We lose Carney.

Excellent summation.

The whole Barba thing is infuriating.
Greenburg spearheaded the campaign to sweep that under the carpet and now he runs the whole shooting match.
Beat your girlfriend to a pulp - all good
Get pissed and do dumb shit - sacked

fizman

Bench
He was well aware that bringing bad media down on the club through his drunken antics was a stackable offence.

Dunno why people are even questioning it.

There is a photo of him pissing into his own mouth all over the Internet.

Sadly I knew it would come to an end like this.
As soon as they won on Friday I thought of him and how big a bender it would be.

It is a deplorable act, I don't disagree. BUT, when we look at other offenders and how they have been dealt with, the lines become blurred.

What morals and standards do the Cronulla Sharks have these days? In fact what standards do any Club have these days?

RL has gone from the working class game to the low class of society.

carcharias

Immortal
Posing for photo while Pissing into his own mouth while in the dunny at northies.

.... And it's Todd carney