What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Likely Maroons team - Sunday Mail

Leagueguy

Juniors
This is from http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19135029-23214,00.html

"Up to seven Broncos - Lockyer, Justin Hodges, Petero Civoniceva, David Stagg, Brent Tate, Sam Thaiday and Karmichael Hunt - are understood to be the in 17, which will also include Matt Bowen, Johnathan Thurston, Carl Webb and Matt Scott from North Queensland".

You can add Inglis, Bell, Price, Smith and probably Dallas Johnson to that list, all to start the game. Which leaves one spot on the bench for a forward which I'd say will be Nate Myles. The only other questions are who'll be centre (probably Tate) and whether Bowen or Hunt will come from the bench (I'd say Bowen, because he has proven to be more versatile). Even if they pick Bowen in the starting team , I'd say theres a good chance they'll still start the game with Hunt.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
after the way inglis is playing i say pick him at fullback. he has been carving up everyone altely and he doesnt seem to get flustered. I dont think tate has done enough in two games to be picked, I'd rather bell and hodges in the centres anyway.

what about minto for the wing?

JJ

Immortal
be surprised if Bowen is the starting fullback.

Inglis is a superstar in the making anyway, Bowen can do a job from the bench

Team i'd roll wit

1. Lockyer
2. Inglis
3. Hodges
4. Bell
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Prince
8. Price (c)
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Stagg
13. Johnson

Webb
Bowen
Tronc
Myles

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sir Knight82 said:
I find it gob smacking no Hunt yet he is the test fullback ????
Thats cos he was sh*thouse in the test.

i hope he enjoyed his time in the green and gold, because he'll never get another opportunity again

Mr Saab

Referee
madunit said:
Thats cos he was sh*thouse in the test.

i hope he enjoyed his time in the green and gold, because he'll never get another opportunity again

Sh!thouse? Really...what did he do wrong apart from throw a pass to king who then had the ball stripped from him?

pantherz9103

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
Sh!thouse? Really...what did he do wrong apart from throw a pass to king who then had the ball stripped from him?

He was sh*thouse because he shouldn't have been selected!

But as a blue, I hope the Queenslanders select him. 4 series wins in a row thanks very much!

Godz Illa

Coach
K-Hunt was fine for Australia and I'd pick him for Qld. His combination with Lockyer is too valuable to discard. Bowen on the bench.

Mr Saab

Referee
pantherz9103 said:
He was sh*thouse because he shouldn't have been selected!

But as a blue, I hope the Queenslanders select him. 4 series wins in a row thanks very much!

He wouldnt have been had Mini and Hodgson been fit. Apart from that the fullbacks are almost on par.
NSW have anasta as a 5/8....good luck

Queensland would be stupid to pick Stagg or Parker over Tom LL. he has been in awesome form and is one of the form back rowers of the comp.

he is exactly what they need, but no doubt he won't be picked, because the queensland selectors will go with the "safe" team which has lead them to defeat for last few years

Smiley

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:
Queensland would be stupid to pick Stagg or Parker over Tom LL. he has been in awesome form and is one of the form back rowers of the comp.

he is exactly what they need, but no doubt he won't be picked, because the queensland selectors will go with the "safe" team which has lead them to defeat for last few years

the problem is that he is a new south walesman.

Yippee_Wippee said:
the problem is that he is a new south walesman.

Well, according to this article Qld a year back were prepared to bat for him, however it seems NSW still have a claim on him if they want to argue it according to Livermore's own words.

Tom is a Maroon
by Wayne Heming
Wednesday February 09, 2005
Source: AAP
Queensland rugby league officials have moved to clear the decks for teenaged Broncos giant Tom Learoyd-Lahrs to play State of Origin for the Maroons.

A former schoolboy athletics champion whose training times put him alongside some of the Broncos backs, his physique has already been compared to Bulldog destroyer, Sonny Bill Williams.
NSW could lay claim to the 192cm, 111kg back-rower -- a former Australian schoolboy star -- who trimmed seven kilos during the off-season in a bid to hit the ground running in 2005. He was born in Tweed Heads but moved to Queensland with his family when he was four and then to NSW (Tamworth) to attend boarding school when he was 12.

QRL managing director Ross Livermore says the Australian Rugby League board has already been put on notice that Learoyd-Lahrs wants to play for Queensland.
"I've raised it with them (ARL) and there's been no great objection to it," said Livermore.
"They (NSW) could claim him, but what's the good of them arguing when they've got four billion players to choose from, and the kids wants to play for Queensland anyway. He considers himself a Queenslander."

Learoyd-Lahrs, who has spoken to his club coach Wayne Bennett about Origin, said he'd be very keen to play for Queensland if the opportunity ever came along.
"If I ever got that call, I'd jump over the moon," he said.
"It's probably a long way down the track - if ever -because I have not even cemented a place in the Broncos squad yet. But people have said I should declare my hand and let them know which way I'm headed, so that's what I have done."

Learoyd-Lahrs, 19, played his junior football at Werris Creek in NSW and represented NSW under 19s when he was just 17. His mother, Theresa, trained racehorses on the Gold Coast while his father, Michael Lahrs, still lives in Ingham in north Queensland.
"I was born over the border but I played a lot of football up here and down south and my first senior game was with the Toowoomba Clydesdales," said Learoyd-Lahrs.

Origin eligibility has been challenged many times. It still mystifies many Queenslanders how NSW procured brilliant Bundaberg-born winger Ken Nagas who played one game south of the border.
Queensland successfully argued to have Papua New Guinea-born Adrian Lam declared a Queenslander when desperately needing a halfback in the 1990s and he played a big role in the Maroons sweeping the "unwinnable" series 3-0 in 1995. And Craig Polla Mounter was declared a cane toad before the Canterbury halfback turned his back on Queensland to stay with the cockroaches.

Billy Moore, the man who gave birth to the "Queenslander" war cry, was from Tenterfield, just south of the border, yet still played for the Maroons.
Meanwhile a lower back injury has complicated the chances of Learoyd-Lahrs being ready for Brisbane's season opening blockbuster against the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium on March 13. He has been told to back-off contact training and allow the disc-related injury to settle.

"I'd just trimmed down to 109kg on mum's steamed veggies and was feeling fit and fast over the ground before I got the back spasms before Christmas," he said.
"I have to let it settle down but I'm pretty confident I can get back for the first game."

So therefore he is a queenslander. You can't force someone to be something they are not - if he says he is a queenslander - he is a queenslander end of story. Similar situation to Matt Rogers.

Latest posts