What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Likiliki

Rolla

Juniors
Are you kidding me??? i wasnt aware that these players got selected on their race credentials..they got selected on their skill at their trials or on their playing ability...whatever their race isnt relevant..Geez..so glad you people dont teach in our schools otherwise our world would definitely be going backwards..when you watch a league team..why dont you just look at the players as individuals and stop looking at them as being maori, aborigine whatever...You talk like the non cultural players are perfect all the time...I am a european but you are making me totally sick in the stomach...the racism belongs back in the old days......GET A GRIP..

This made me laugh a bit.

Rolla

Juniors
Are you kidding me??? i wasnt aware that these players got selected on their race credentials..they got selected on their skill at their trials or on their playing ability...whatever their race isnt relevant..Geez..so glad you people dont teach in our schools otherwise our world would definitely be going backwards..when you watch a league team..why dont you just look at the players as individuals and stop looking at them as being maori, aborigine whatever...You talk like the non cultural players are perfect all the time...I am a european but you are making me totally sick in the stomach...the racism belongs back in the old days......GET A GRIP..

Last edited:
And of course its just the polynesians that make errors..OMG..what next??? HELLO PEOPLE....not racist..why do yous even have to single them out by saying Polynesian in the first place...say their names

Because in our forum u can call a black person a black person and a white person, we aren't PC 15 yr old bitch's here now f**k off merkin.

Rusty

Juniors
Too many poly's hey? A few more and we might field a killer team like the Kiwi's? I think the Aussies might have something to be worried about... :)

Spot On

Coach
And of course its just the polynesians that make errors..OMG..what next??? HELLO PEOPLE....not racist..why do yous even have to single them out by saying Polynesian in the first place...say their names

What next? You've said it all. Go back and work out the inferential comprehension of the post I was replying to.

Spot On

Coach
Having a lot of Poly's didn't hurt the Warriors U20's side this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Yjz-4iSrg

Link to the jnr kiwis vs jr kangaroos. Likiliki scores a very nice try at the 2:18 mark. Just don't pay any attention to his defensive efforts in the first half. Really needs to stop rushing in.

And not having too many didn't hurt the Drags either. I think most league fans can see Polynesian players best assets are size and power but if it's a create half or 5/8 your after - a good play maker - then most of the NRL sides seem to opt for something else. I hope this doesn't offend anyone especially the bloke that wants us all to write the names of players who happen to be Polynesian instead of saying they are Polynesian. I apologise for calling the Polynesian players Polynesian instead of using their names. However using the term Polnesian is simply a way of referring to the people who inhabit or descend from people of the islands of Polynesia.

roopy

Referee
Polynesian and Melanesian players, on average, do seem to have more impact but less minutes in them - but there are plenty of exceptions to that rule, with blokes like Taia and Taufua having very big motors.
As to them not being playmakers - that has been true in the past, but the juniors coming through now like Mata'utia and Taufaao have as many ball skills as anyone.

I don't think it's usefull at all to talk about the racial background of individual players. Aloi Taufaao is an amazingly clever playmaker who is probably too small and not athletic enough to make firstgrade, and he played for Tonga the other day, and the junior we have with one of the biggest motors is Rodney Mason, also a Tongan. I can name half a dozen players who do fit the racial profile, but i can name just as many who don't.

red and blue

Juniors
Polynesian and Melanesian players, on average, do seem to have more impact but less minutes in them - but there are plenty of exceptions to that rule, with blokes like Taia and Taufua having very big motors.
As to them not being playmakers - that has been true in the past, but the juniors coming through now like Mata'utia and Taufaao have as many ball skills as anyone.

I don't think it's usefull at all to talk about the racial background of individual players. Aloi Taufaao is an amazingly clever playmaker who is probably too small and not athletic enough to make firstgrade, and he played for Tonga the other day, and the junior we have with one of the biggest motors is Rodney Mason, also a Tongan. I can name half a dozen players who do fit the racial profile, but i can name just as many who don't.
So what is Rodney Mason like does he look the goods? Do you see him making first grade one day?

slammingsam

Juniors
I wouldnt put it past Alai making first grade. He has virtually the same build as guys like Issac Luke/Masada Ieosfa etc..He isnt that small and has a good amount of muscle on him. He is fairly quick and can step well off both feet.

roopy

Referee
So what is Rodney Mason like does he look the goods? Do you see him making first grade one day?
He was the biggest improver in our NYC squad last year IMO. In the pre-season trials he was about our 10th best forward and was lucky to make the squad, About half way through the season he played an 80 minute game in the second row in NSW cup where he was as good as anyone in that grade and was promoted onto the NYC bench, and by the end of the season he was starting for NYC and in the top 2 or 3 forwards.
If he improves as much next season he will be pushing for firstgrade in 2012.

roopy

Referee
I wouldnt put it past Alai making first grade. He has virtually the same build as guys like Issac Luke/Masada Ieosfa etc..He isnt that small and has a good amount of muscle on him. He is fairly quick and can step well off both feet.
He is only 18 and has 2 years of NYC - so he could grow. His brother is 3 or 4 years older and he seems a bit smaller if anything, so i won't be surprized if he doesn't get any bigger.

slammingsam

Juniors
He will want to improve his defence abit. I'm not sure whether he is a hooker or halfback long term but there is something there to work with.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
A lot of the point of this thread has been that Poly's develop earlier physically. This gives them a physical advantage at a young age which many of them then can't use at the top level.

I think that's the point JM. A lot of island fellas r bigger at a younger age, so rather than learning how to produce ball skills, they are more prone to simply charge over players and this inhibits their development.

Latest posts