What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lion Red ending sponsorship of Warriors

ozbash

Referee
Lion has single handedly kept Rugby League going in Auckland for many years (the DB Bitter sponsorship of the early Auckland Warriors was a political aberration that involved my club, Northcote, and the Mt Albert Club). I understand the backlash against brewery sponsorship, but I just don't see too many industries waiting in the wings to take over. Most industries these days just don't have the margins to get the wallet out. Smokes went, now it's piss.......maybe the fun police and the wowsers have to dig a bit deeper at the gate.

yes, yes and yes...

NZ Breweries have pumped a lot into footy, footy has pumped a lot more into NZ Breweries.

the game survived when they pulled the plug on tobacco sponsorship (I'd say a few fans survived as well), and I think the game would survive equally as well without the demon drink :cool:

NSW are the only ones left whose main sponsor is a brewery ???

Qld saw the light years ago..

Blair

Coach
Woodstock would bring in more bogans from West to the games

My first rugby league games seemed to have about 60% gang members (including prospects) both playing and watching (in Hawkes Bay).

When we start worrying about what type of person is going to turn up to games then it's time to find a new sport!

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Woodstock would bring in more bogans from West to the games

I'm actually ashamed to say I own a woodstock westie shirt I got on my 18th birthday at Swanson Rd liqour store. Flannel button ups and ripped jean shorts was pretty much all I wore back then. My mate crashed my skyline that night too, luckily I'm maori so the hori cancels out the bogan :lol:

Blake

Juniors
NZ Breweries have pumped a lot into footy, footy has pumped a lot more into NZ Breweries.
So you're saying that footy in NZ cannot negotiate an equitable sponsorship agreement.

Not exactly an endorsement of their business acumen.

ozbash

Referee
So you're saying that footy in NZ cannot negotiate an equitable sponsorship agreement.

Not exactly an endorsement of their business acumen.

Don't tell me what I'm saying..

nz breweries have pumped a lot into league... league has pumped a lot into nz breweries.

What part of that are you struggling with ?

most wendys tucker carries the heart assoc tick..

totally agree with Blair,, we don't need it.

http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/i...eart-foundation-tick/Pages/tick-criteria.aspx

The heart tick is full of shit!
It basically means it is either an improvement on the original or the best of a bad choice, which can still be bad!

It's an interesting/complex discussion to have. I can have the occasional drink and never have an issue, but others have consume it daily and/or in large quantities and will have health issues associated with that. Every cigarette does you damage but an alcoholic drink is different.
Food falls into the same kind of category as I can have fast food every 3-6 months others turn up daily for it and suffer the health consequences.
Where it becomes tricky outside of the politics and big money fast food and food company's have to prevent change is a calorie is not a calorie across the carbs, protein and fats (macros). As try a diet that has no carbs and your body goes into ketosis (which has its own health issues) and rips off the fat storage you have but can have a high calorie content.

But in saying that, I'm all for a calorie density tax.

Last edited:

Blake

Juniors
Don't tell me what I'm saying..

nz breweries have pumped a lot into league... league has pumped a lot into nz breweries.

What part of that are you struggling with ?

You said earlier that league has given more back to nz breweries based on the sponsorship arrangements.

If you did say that, then it's reasonable to say nz league did not have the business acumen to negotiate the best deal possible.

Blair

Coach
You said earlier that league has given more back to nz breweries based on the sponsorship arrangements.

If you did say that, then it's reasonable to say nz league did not have the business acumen to negotiate the best deal possible.

League supporters would give far more back to the breweries than the breweries would give to league.

League, as in officialdom (NZRL, the Warriors board, etc), would give nothing 'official' back in financial terms to brewery sponsors such as Lion Nathan Ltd, which is the normal way sponsorship is done.

mt.wellington

Juniors
(the DB Bitter sponsorship of the early Auckland Warriors was a political aberration that involved my club, Northcote, and the Mt Albert Club).

You able to elaborate on this cause as I understand it the clubs you mention had nothing to do with signing the major sponsor. Just my understanding of course and curious to learn something new from a different side.

BTW, Woodstock are 100% the new sleeve sponsor of the Warriors. Seen the memo from Lion Red announcing that they wouldnt be continuing their relationship with the Warriors about 3 months ago and the 2015 jerseys bear Woodstock on the sleeve. Definitely a done deal...

Latest posts