What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Liverpool city fc

Walter sobchak

First Grade
How about a Liverpool RL and Manchester RL academy sides playing against the likes of Wigan, saints, Warrington and Leeds etc. Build the club from the bottom up.

Bold plans for a new club in Liverpool include a target to reach Super League by 2023.

Former Salford owner Marwan Koukash and businessman Luke Backhouse, previously a sponsor at Widnes, are two figures behind the initiative and they are currently in talks with the local authorities over proposed sites to play.

Speaking to Insider Media, Backhouse said: “We thought it was time to start our own and Liverpool is an untapped market.

“It’s become a passion.

“We’re getting help from the council and in terms of getting sponsors and investors, we haven’t had to go looking. They’re excited about how big it could become.

“We hope to launch in 2021 and hopefully we can work our way to the Super League by 2022 or 2023.

“The RFL are expanding at the moment. I know there’re propositions for teams in Los Angeles and New York, and the Toronto Wolfpack team are already established.

“It’s expanding on a huge international scale and it could be one of the few sports where we could have a fixture of Liverpool v New York City. It’s got huge marketability.”

The new team is set to launch the day before Magic Weekend kicks-off at Anfield on May 24.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/new-liverpool-club-aiming-for-super-league-by-2023/

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Bold plans for a new club in Liverpool include a target to reach Super League by 2023.

Former Salford owner Marwan Koukash and businessman Luke Backhouse, previously a sponsor at Widnes, are two figures behind the initiative and they are currently in talks with the local authorities over proposed sites to play.

Speaking to Insider Media, Backhouse said: “We thought it was time to start our own and Liverpool is an untapped market.

“It’s become a passion.

“We’re getting help from the council and in terms of getting sponsors and investors, we haven’t had to go looking. They’re excited about how big it could become.

“We hope to launch in 2021 and hopefully we can work our way to the Super League by 2022 or 2023.

“The RFL are expanding at the moment. I know there’re propositions for teams in Los Angeles and New York, and the Toronto Wolfpack team are already established.

“It’s expanding on a huge international scale and it could be one of the few sports where we could have a fixture of Liverpool v New York City. It’s got huge marketability.”

The new team is set to launch the day before Magic Weekend kicks-off at Anfield on May 24.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/new-liverpool-club-aiming-for-super-league-by-2023/
There’s another investor I believe by the name of Andrew mikhail of the mikhail hotel and leisure group??

Pommy

Coach
Proposition for a team in LA? That seems like a bit of a stretch for playing in Europe. The idea the NRL would get onboard with it is just laughable considering Perth can’t even get a team.

Pommy

Coach
Proposition for a team in LA? That seems like a bit of a stretch for playing in Europe. The idea the NRL would get onboard with it is just laughable considering Perth can’t even get a team.
Of all the new clubs being talked about at the moment this one seems the most pie in the sky. The colours instantly alienate half of the city and seem like such a dumb choice.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hmmm, Widnes screwed, Salford worse off than before, great track record these owners have! I can only seeing a raging success for the future of the venture!

flamin

Juniors

Just to clarify the distances involved, LA to Manchester is 8,500kms. LA to Sydney is 12,000kms. If a LA team ever happened flying to Europe is much more feasible.

Pommy

Coach
Just to clarify the distances involved, LA to Manchester is 8,500kms. LA to Sydney is 12,000kms. If a LA team ever happened flying to Europe is much more feasible.

I think when you get to those distances it’s not making a lot of difference. The east coast is achievable but the west just a stretch too far. The jet leg for players would be just too much.
I would guess the actual flight time to Toronto of less than 7 hours is similar to a coach journey from the heartlands to London when you have roadworks etc taken in to account.

flamin

Juniors
I think when you get to those distances it’s not making a lot of difference. The east coast is achievable but the west just a stretch too far. The jet leg for players would be just too much.
I would guess the actual flight time to Toronto of less than 7 hours is similar to a coach journey from the heartlands to London when you have roadworks etc taken in to account.
True, either way from LA is far-fetched. But instead of a 10.5 hour flight, it’s a 15 hour flight to Sydney with the extra travel costs - an extra 9 hours of travel for a return journey. The time difference would be roughly the same.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Getting back to a potential Liverpool based RL club all with be revealed or not at magic weekend. I honestly hope it’s a goer, especially after the sad news about Manchester Rangers. but we’ll see.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Getting back to a potential Liverpool based RL club all with be revealed or not at magic weekend. I honestly hope it’s a goer, especially after the sad news about Manchester Rangers. but we’ll see.

Its only 20kms between Liverpool and St Helens, just rename them Liverpool saints!

adamkungl

Immortal
It should be a strategic goal of the RFL to encourage investors to start professional Rugby League clubs in all major cities, and provide fair opportunity for them to challenge for Super League.
In a sustainable manner of course, you can't have 5 or 6 new big money clubs popping up all at once without the player pathways growing significantly.

But long term, they should be actively scouting for club backers all across the UK. Like we've seen with Toronto, one success leads to others following.

Liverpool
Manchester
Birmingham
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Dublin
Belfast
Cardiff