What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer - Hunt

ozbash

Referee
I think that stuart let the cat out of the bag when cutie switched to the wing in saturday nights game.

There is no doubting there is an " x factor" between the 2.

Aussie lost all momentum when lockys go-to man was out of position.

hope bluey was watching , take either out of the equation and its all over rover.

badav

Bench
Good luck buddy. Do you know how many teams have a "shut down lockyer" game plan. You make it sound a lot easier than it is.

JJ

Immortal
maybe - but the rest of the Aust team offers very little... :D

How many Aust tries have come from something other than a Lockyer centred play??

badav said:
Good luck buddy. Do you know how many teams have a "shut down lockyer" game plan. You make it sound a lot easier than it is.

Someone in the NZ team should " shut down Lockyer " legit or not if they want to win. Past greats have had to contend with a bit of stick, so should Lockyer. If the Kiwis manage this, they win.

innsaneink

Referee
ozbash said:
I think that stuart let the cat out of the bag when cutie switched to the wing in saturday nights game.

There is no doubting there is an " x factor" between the 2.

Aussie lost all momentum when lockys go-to man was out of position.

hope bluey was watching , take either out of the equation and its all over rover.

Already trying to think of a way, other than playing football, to win this game huh?
I'll give ya a clue....its been tried ad nauseam over the years against Roo sides, it dont work...ask the Poms.
Someones worried.

miccle

Bench
A lot of Australia's plays have come from Locky because he hasn't been shut down well this series, I will give you that.

Regardless, I still don't think that taking out him and Hunt would be the smartest thing for NZ. Thurston is getting back into great form, Cam Smith has the potential to rip sides up out of dummy half and I don't think you'd want to give the likes of Inglis, Gasnier and Berrigan room to move.

Make no mistakes, focus too much on one or two of our boys and there are a half dozen of them ready to swoop.

ozbash

Referee
innsaneink said:
Already trying to think of a way, other than playing football, to win this game huh?
I'll give ya a clue....its been tried ad nauseam over the years against Roo sides, it dont work...ask the Poms.
Someones worried.

:lol: Yea, scared sh*tless. i think the kiwis ad nauseated it last year actually, it worked pretty well.:cool:

badav

Bench
ozbash said:
:lol: Yea, scared sh*tless. i think the kiwis ad nauseated it last year actually, it worked pretty well.:cool:

lockyer wasnt playing so i dont think it did.

badav

Bench
The Original Eye said:
Someone in the NZ team should " shut down Lockyer " legit or not if they want to win. Past greats have had to contend with a bit of stick, so should Lockyer. If the Kiwis manage this, they win.

Yeh ok champ. Lockyers had to contend with plenty of stick. Just that teams have learnt by now that a "shut down lockyer" rush up on him game plan doesnt work. People say the same things about andrew johns. "shut down johns" and thats the end of that. Ok, how many times has it worked.

You'll need a better game plan than that to win the game.

mxlegend99

Referee
I hope they do target a particular player.

Look at our backline:
1. Hunt
2. King
3. Gasnier
4. Hodges
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston

Target one player, or 2 of them... and the rest will have a field day scoring tries from the gaps created in defence.

Also... QLD always said they would target Joey... and it never worked. Joey and Lockyer aren't the sort of guys that you can take out of the equation that easily.

I think the Kiwis are a chance at winning. But i don't think it would be wise to target a particular player. If Lockyer was to have a sh*t game and Thurston was on fire... and you targetted Lockyer. That would just work to our favour.

I'm just glad we don't have to shut down a 5/8. There's just an out of form centre trying to play 5/8 alongside a great halfback.

JJ

Immortal
we'll look to dominate the forwards... if that happens, you'll need to get lucky again to win... and you might

mxlegend99

Referee
Who needs to be lucky?

Our backline absolutely owns yours. Rather then one good half, we have 2. We have similar quality fullbacks, but better wingers and centres by miles.

We have the muscle also. Our team from this weekend was missing Matt King (runs a lot harder then Tate) and Willie Mason. The best is yet to come :)

ozbash

Referee
mxlegend99 said:
I hope they do target a particular player.

Look at our backline:
1. Hunt
2. King
3. Gasnier
4. Hodges
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston

Target one player, or 2 of them... and the rest will have a field day scoring tries from the gaps created in defence.

Also... QLD always said they would target Joey... and it never worked. Joey and Lockyer aren't the sort of guys that you can take out of the equation that easily.

I think the Kiwis are a chance at winning. But i don't think it would be wise to target a particular player. If Lockyer was to have a sh*t game and Thurston was on fire... and you targetted Lockyer. That would just work to our favour.

I'm just glad we don't have to shut down a 5/8. There's just an out of form centre trying to play 5/8 alongside a great halfback.

no doubting your class amongst some (not all) of your backs.

cutie, hes good going forward, crap going backwards. hasnt got a defensive thought in his head.

king, ok if things are going his way. not so good if the confidence has taken a knock.

gasnier, class act

hodges, ditto

inglis, a hugely over rated player imo, a great finisher but he seems to lack creative confidence. i prefer billy slater.

locky, best #6 in the bussiness

thurston, most improved player in the comp.

your forwards are total crap. the kiwis will be all over them like a rash.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
bit hard to be creative on the wing Ozbash.

I watched that boy play 22 games of QLD cup, score 34 tries a setup many others.

Whilst on the wing he will be resigned to finisher.

Given 4 or 5 games at fullback with lockyer and you'll see why Hunt is a half waiting to happen - the boy can tackle you'll see that when he is in the front line, too slow for fullback defence.

salivor

First Grade
Go watch Hunts defense in the front line in the Grand Final, the kid can tackle alright.

mxlegend99 said:
Who needs to be lucky?

Our backline absolutely owns yours. Rather then one good half, we have 2. We have similar quality fullbacks, but better wingers and centres by miles.

We have the muscle also. Our team from this weekend was missing Matt King (runs a lot harder then Tate) and Willie Mason. The best is yet to come :)

LMAO - Our pack simply owns yours though

Our pack is full of brutal, big-hitting, bad dudes. Yours isn't.

The backlines aren't as far apart as you think
We have a better halfback & a better fullback. You guys have the better 5/8 (allthough with a fully fit & in-form Benji there, it would be even)
I think you're underestimating guys like Solioloa & Hape. They are class players. Soliola is the centre of the tournament by far.

Mr Saab

Referee
Kiwis got lucky last yr in the final having to contend with Barrett and Gower in the halves, this yr it is Lockyer and Thurston.

badav

Bench
Bobby DIGital said:
LMAO - Our pack simply owns yours though

Our pack is full of brutal, big-hitting, bad dudes. Yours isn't.

The backlines aren't as far apart as you think
We have a better halfback & a better fullback. You guys have the better 5/8 (allthough with a fully fit & in-form Benji there, it would be even)
I think you're underestimating guys like Solioloa & Hape. They are class players. Soliola is the centre of the tournament by far.

A fully fit in form benji would be good for the kiwis but even with lockyer :lol: :lol: :lol:

The kiwi forward pack aint that great anyway. Asotasi is quality but kidwell is average (what is it 5 metres a hit up running at backs??).

The aussies kill the kiwis on paper, but i dont think that matters that much it will come down to who is better on the day and both are capable. Im not convinced about Hape. Especially since he plays in england. If hes as good as hes talked up to be what the hells he doing catching a cold in the #2 shirt every game.

Still but i think the kiwi's will struggle with only one half steering them around the park. Vaganas not even good enough to make the team let alone at pivot

Latest posts