What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logos are geting worse

Which are the best club logos re representing their area or heritage, or marketing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Black Jack's Bay, now there's a name for the supporters area. Might get into trouble with the pc brigade though?

Loudstrat

Coach
Yes I see it. Bloody hope not!

Of that lot, the Roosters, Sea Eagles, Raiders and the Souths 90 season ones are good. The rest are pseudo-American sh*t.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Likely a concept drawing - they've only just changed their logo back to the 80s/90s edition.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I remember Pirates was one of the options for the Gold Coast fan poll.

They missed a great thing there. Everybody loves a pirate - just ask Wittyfan.

Tom Shines

First Grade
has anyone noticed on the fullboar photo, in the far right bottom corner a new parra eels logo?

Apparently the bloke only has two fonts on his computer (In before Timmah: Aachen and Serpentine), and they're all too intricate and Americanised. f**k him off.

simostorm

Bench
Pirates.. wasnt expecting that.. anyways i like it.. i can really see the fans getting behind them.. good stuff.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pirates? WTF? Reds was far, far better - with links to the Western Desert and the megafauna that are most asociated with it. The Reds link to the colour also has historical connotaions with other well established sporting nicknakes - Blues, Bluebags, Dirty Reds, Bluesox, Maroons, All Blacks etc.

They threw that out for a kiddies comic book charater. Pathetic.

Sadly. it's a sporting trend - pick the spastic name that has nothing to do with anything.

They are getting worse!

As for the poll, dont pick your own team - it's not a poll of who we support.

So you going to change your mind now I have educated you? :)

If you are talking about historical significance and relevance to their area then four teams stand out. They are the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Parramatta Eels, St George Illawarra Dragons and the Warriors.

If we are talking about relevance to their area and the use of introduced vermin as a mascot/logo then for early 20th century inner Sydney surely the South Sydney Gutter Rats would hold more historical accuracy than vermin that was already prevalent in many parts of Sydney, NSW and Australia.

Loudstrat

Coach
Fruit Pickers - that is a special name in the history of this topic. I believe both Wests and Parra had that name at one stage. Has any two clubs had the same nickname at various times in their history? I think not.

Cee 7

Juniors
If we are talking about relevance to their area and the use of introduced vermin as a mascot/logo then for early 20th century inner Sydney surely the South Sydney Gutter Rats would hold more historical accuracy than vermin that was already prevalent in many parts of Sydney, NSW and Australia.

But Souths became known as the Rabbitohs because the majority of their players in the early years worked as Rabbitos selling rabbits in the streets during the week.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Turns out we had two Pirates
Capt Black Jack Anderson and the famous Capt William Dampier who was licensed buccaneer. I'll have no more of this suggesting West Coast Pirates has no relevance to WA thank you!
527912_4301219367491_795447737_n.jpg

docbrown

Coach
Turns out we had two Pirates
Capt Black Jack Anderson and the famous Capt William Dampier who was licensed buccaneer. I'll have no more of this suggesting West Coast Pirates has no relevance to WA thank you!

I don't think it even needs to be justified. Even Pittsburgh is about 500km from the ocean... :cool:

docbrown

Coach
There is a story behind their name though,and they have one of the best ballparks in baseball,love pnc park.

True but it was a derogatory remark that they embraced as their own. Had nothing to do with any local history about real pirates.

You can't start up a successful pro sports team now without a distinct thematic visual branding nor can you can't wait and hope that somebody insults you with a clever moniker that you can embrace later on.

I'd go so far as to say that it evens needs to have some kind of anthropomorphic quality. That's just a fundamental need in all people. We look for the humanism in our institutions.

Take your theme, downplay the negative aspects and promote the positive humanistic characteristics. I'd focus on the whole WA vs The Rest of Australia mentality that plays on their rebellious nature.

Moffo

Referee
Why are we glorifying a group of people that are often engaged in criminal activity? Pirates....