What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logos are geting worse

Which are the best club logos re representing their area or heritage, or marketing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why are we glorifying a group of people that are often engaged in criminal activity? Pirates....

Probably same reason we glorify Ned Kelly.

Pirates are just cool (well the olden days ones!), thanks to Disney amongst others.

Lambretta

First Grade
A licenced buccaneer? Who licences the Somali Pirates?

The English Navy during the reign of Queen Elizabeth the 1st were licenced Buccaneers - or Privateers - as they owned their own ships.

They built England's wealth by intercepting Spanish Galleons coming from the New World and redirecting the gold into England's coffers whilst keeping a cut for themselves and gaining the favour of the Queen.

The English Monarchy accepted the practice because they were getting paid off and the Country was getting rich off the takings - whilst all the time Elizabeth was telling the Spanish that the Pirates were a terrible problem and she would see to it they were stopped.

Sir Walter Raleigh and Sir Frances Drake, two of the most famous sailors of Elizabeth's Court were in fact Privateers, or licenced Buccaneers.

When the Spanish Armada attacked England the English Navy was bolstered by these private sailors. In fact they made up a large part of the English fleet.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why are we glorifying a group of people that are often engaged in criminal activity? Pirates....

I'm with you Moffo, these logos also need no glorifying:

Raiders: Vikings are notorious for rape and pillaging.
Storm: cost us thousands in insurance bills and broken umbrellas.
Sharks, Tigers & Panthers: Eat people.
Broncos: The feral horse is a huge destructive pest in Australia.
Cowboys: Ever seen a fistful of Dollars? Scum.
Dragons: Beside Pete's Dragon they destroy everything in their path.
Roosters: disturb the peace every dawn with their c**k a doodle doing.
Rabbits: See Bronco

We've got to stop glorifying these people.

supercharger

Juniors
True but it was a derogatory remark that they embraced as their own. Had nothing to do with any local history about real pirates.

You can't start up a successful pro sports team now without a distinct thematic visual branding nor can you can't wait and hope that somebody insults you with a clever moniker that you can embrace later on.

I'd go so far as to say that it evens needs to have some kind of anthropomorphic quality. That's just a fundamental need in all people. We look for the humanism in our institutions.

Take your theme, downplay the negative aspects and promote the positive humanistic characteristics. I'd focus on the whole WA vs The Rest of Australia mentality that plays on their rebellious nature.
I agree with everything

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm with you Moffo, these logos also need no glorifying:

Raiders: Vikings are notorious for rape and pillaging.
Storm: cost us thousands in insurance bills and broken umbrellas.
Sharks, Tigers & Panthers: Eat people.
Broncos: The feral horse is a huge destructive pest in Australia.
Cowboys: Ever seen a fistful of Dollars? Scum.
Dragons: Beside Pete's Dragon they destroy everything in their path.
Roosters: disturb the peace every dawn with their c**k a doodle doing.
Rabbits: See Bronco

We've got to stop glorifying these people.

:lol: This is utterly brilliant :clap:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
No ,Wrong

Manly Have always Been Officially Known as The Sea Eagles, back when we First came into the Comp the Media refferred to us as the Seagulls

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/history
The Bulldogs seemed the perfect solution. Like Manly in the late 1960s when they changed their emblem from the seagull to the more aggressive sea eagle, the switch was to coincide with premiership victories for both clubs.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wouldn't believe anything I read from the Bulldogs' site. They hear 'no' as 'yes'.

I think the worst logos are the Titans, Storm, and Raiders. I can't really find any logical reason (beyond marketing) as to why they were chosen to represent the area they're based out of.

Diesel

Referee
The Titans is a shocker, they would've been better off going for the Pirates name... Oh well that's Perth's logo to keep now.

no name

Coach
The Titans is a shocker, they would've been better off going for the Pirates name... Oh well that's Perth's logo to keep now.

Totally agree. Titans is a shite name and logo. Needed something that represented the region.
Should have been Dolphins but Redcliffe had/have delusions of one day having an NRL team.
Pirates would have been alright, not really associated with the Coast other than the beach.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I wouldn't believe anything I read from the Bulldogs' site. They hear 'no' as 'yes'.

I think the worst logos are the Titans, Storm, and Raiders. I can't really find any logical reason (beyond marketing) as to why they were chosen to represent the area they're based out of.

The Raiders were named for marketing purposes, they took the name of the NFL team.
The reason behind it was that at the time Canberra were 'raiding' the Sydney comp of its trophy. Our current logo is pretty crap.

The Great Micheal Searle was responsible for everything the titans did, that's why everything they have done is so shit.

The storm is the worst name in Australian sports and there are a lot of contenders for that honour. 'Lets name our team after a weather condition'. Brilliant.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The Raiders were named for marketing purposes, they took the name of the NFL team.
The reason behind it was that at the time Canberra were 'raiding' the Sydney comp of its trophy. Our current logo is pretty crap.

The Great Micheal Searle was responsible for everything the titans did, that's why everything they have done is so shit.

The storm is the worst name in Australian sports and there are a lot of contenders for that honour. 'Lets name our team after a weather condition'. Brilliant.

Were the ACT Brumbies about first? If not, surely Brumbies would have made far more sense than the Raiders.

Latest posts