What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logos are geting worse

Which are the best club logos re representing their area or heritage, or marketing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bulldog Force

Referee
I wouldn't believe anything I read from the Bulldogs' site. They hear 'no' as 'yes'.

I think the worst logos are the Titans, Storm, and Raiders. I can't really find any logical reason (beyond marketing) as to why they were chosen to represent the area they're based out of.
It's all Americanization mate, just like the crappy 2-coloured 2d logos. There are sports teams in America called the 'San Jose Earthquakes' and, well, we all know Miami Heat. Teams with mascots based on weather and earthquakes.

Loudstrat

Coach
Gold Coast "SCHOOLIES' ;)
Gold Coast Pedoes.

The Chargers was pretty good - wtf they didnt resurrect that I'll never know. Their jersey design is sh*t especially the away one. Unoriginal colours that dont make the club stand out at all.

It's all Americanization mate, just like the crappy 2-coloured 2d logos. There are sports teams in America called the 'San Jose Earthquakes' and, well, we all know Miami Heat. Teams with mascots based on weather and earthquakes.

F*cking fawning to the Yanks again. I remember John Ribot saying that they would make it a competition for Melbourne folk to come up with colours and a logo. When they picked "Storm" on a purple and charcoal jersey, I realised the only person who submitted an entry must have been an EMO eunich with manic depression and a very low IQ.

Actually I thought their first jersey design was quite good, but they have only gotten worse. They have to have the worst away jersey - a white Medibank T shirt.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I take these competitions where fans choose the colours and logo with a tonne of salt. Most new 'franchises' :roll: have already chosen what they are going to do and use these competitions merely to raise publicity.
The titans are the perfect example - who the f**k other than Searle would have chosen Titans?

I've looked at the WA pirates logo again and it is far too busy and big.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The Raiders were named for marketing purposes, they took the name of the NFL team.
The reason behind it was that at the time Canberra were 'raiding' the Sydney comp of its trophy. Our current logo is pretty crap.

The Great Micheal Searle was responsible for everything the titans did, that's why everything they have done is so shit.

The storm is the worst name in Australian sports and there are a lot of contenders for that honour. 'Lets name our team after a weather condition'. Brilliant.

Tuggeranong Vikings have a f**king awesome logo. Raiders should use something similar and ditch the late 90's cartoon style design.

adamkungl

Immortal
Boss.

How good would it be to just see your mob go back to the name and logo on your av Adam.

Actually prefer the 2008 centenary logo. Has old-school class but still looks modern:

jaseemblem2.jpg

_Johnsy

Referee
From memory Gold Coast wanted the Dolphins. Would have been much better if they had been able to use that.

Beacuase some backwater bayside Brisbane team have dreams of entering the NRL one day & threatened legal action if the used the dolphins moniker.

Yet we have Ipswich saying they want to use the Jets moniker which Newtown have been using since 1973. Ipswich started using it nine years after Newtown adopted the Jets moniker. Bizzare hey.

Loudstrat

Coach
I am happy that Redcliffe blocked the Titans move, only because Redcliffe are Queenslnd's most famous club with a logo representing their district. None of the QLD NRL sides had an ounce of thought into their final choices, save for the Cowboys with at least a nod toward North Queensland's beef industry. Even then it's more Dallas Cowboys than anything. At least it has good imagery.

The exception was the Crushers. Great imagery and links to industry and history, and wasnt pussy.

The old pre-expension logos were better. Sharks, Eels are indigenous species in those areas, Tigers, magpies and Bluebags referred to club colours, Rabbitohs to historical links. No one would call themselves the Diehards anymore - which is a great name, or the Reds, Dirty Reds, or anything as unique and discriptive as the Wire.

Some of the new names with other sports reflect the generally sh*t unimaginative nature of new logos.

Latest posts