What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lol Phil Hughes

Slackboy72

Coach
MOTM....Who's loling now?
Well everyone bar emil1989 it seems but just one thing:
Is Phil Hughes the most ungainly looking test level opening batsman you've ever seen? I appreciate his contribution and his ability but some of his strokeplay is just plain butt ugly. If I was just looking at him in the nets I would have guessed he played 2nd grade.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This may end up in classic threads...lol

Actually...isn't the OP the same plank who started/participated heavily in a thread ripping on Michael Clarke over the home summer?

could be a classic thread but there's another test to go yet

HevyDevy

Coach
Is Phil Hughes the most ungainly looking test level opening batsman you've ever seen? I appreciate his contribution and his ability but some of his strokeplay is just plain butt ugly. If I was just looking at him in the nets I would have guessed he played 2nd grade.

I don't care if he looks like Steady Eddy of he's going to score 275 runs in a Test ...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he may not be technically correct but RSA said before the game they had him worked out, yet he made them look silly

Slackboy72

Coach
It's just that that god-awful slash for his duck on debut looked absolutely awful but I saw several similar looking efforts that collected runs the other night. I guess many were writing him off after that abomination of strokeplay. Strange looking but good to see him get the double.

Tom Shines

First Grade

Yes.

And because of this, the opposition probably think he's only one poorly selected stroke away from dismissal... but his timing is second to none. He would be an absolute merkin to bowl to.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't think his technique is ugly so much as unusual, personally...he's got a very strong bottom hand and his stance really opens the offside, but he's come up with a way to consistently score runs as a very small man, and he plays to his strengths beautifully without really getting tied down and going after a ball thats not in his strong areas. I don't think that's ugly...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't think his technique is ugly so much as unusual, personally...he's got a very strong bottom hand and his stance really opens the offside, but he's come up with a way to consistently score runs as a very small man, and he plays to his strengths beautifully without really getting tied down and going after a ball thats not in his strong areas. I don't think that's ugly...
Agreed, have you ever seen a 20 year old know his game so well???

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

Phil Jacques as well looks extremely ungainly..

Fein

First Grade

You know your cricket. ;-)

My lasting observation of Hughes is that I have never ever seen a batsmen be able to cut a ball with the bat virtually horizontal, above the ball and out of the middle of the bat so often.

That "much maligned" shot he played in his first trip to the crease in test cricket was actually an amazing shot to try and pull off.

Not discounting the "recklessness" element of it but he actually got over a rising ball and tried to hit it downward.

I found it astonishing for a man of his size to be able to almost pull that off.

Atleast I waited to the end of the test to bag sh*t stain (justified too.)

Thanks for taking the heat off me.

LOL you haven't faced 140 either, I bet my life on it. I've faced 130 (approx) from the bowling machine at Kingsgrove sports centre and had the ball intentionally pitch a foot outside off stump, just to get a feel, and didn't see the ball at all.

Latest posts